[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shockey traded to Saints

budlitebrad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no brainer, but feel free to bump up both shockey (brees throws 1,237 passes per season...now if only shockey can stay on the field) and boss.

Great move by the Giants. NO might be happy right now, until they see what a me-first guy Shockey is. Combine that with his perpetual injuries and you have to wonder if NO really got hosed by NY in this deal.

if if IF he can stay healthy, i think (a la moss) he'll be gung-ho to prove the messy divorce was NYG's fault, not his....and with how much sean payton/brees love to throw, i personally think shockey could be absolutely huge this year. it's not like brees has another surefire receiving option besides colston (and bush when he's not hurt...devery henderson? meacham?). saints have always had ernie conwell/boo williams/billy miller/eric johnson types at TE, and brees has never had a TE with the pure skill of shockey (say what you want, he's a oil and vinegar, yes, but he's got talent). could be a one-year boon to the saints/shockey's fantasy owners until he wears out his welcome. but i'd love to hear what raj'n and other saints homers think....

edit to add that this also might help bush...again, shockey is a mopey, me-first punk but he's one of the better blocking TEs's in the league

Edited by msaint

if if IF he can stay healthy, i think (a la moss) he'll be gung-ho to prove the messy divorce was NYG's fault, not his....and with how much sean payton/brees love to throw, i personally think shockey could be absolutely huge this year.

Yeah, because leopards always change their spots - especially those in the NFL...

Hopefully a win-win for both teams. The Saints TE's have a history of not staying healthy which is a little worrisome but talent-wise Shockey is head and shoulders over what they had at the position.

Edit: Also glad the saints stuck to their guns and didn't give up a 1st like NY was wanting originally.

Edited by myhousekey

Yeah, because leopards always change their spots - especially those in the NFL...

moss did. :wacko: he was perhaps the most popular player on the team this year, in the locker room (vs. just amongst fans). maybe it was a one-year thing, but who's to say that shockey, another infamous malcontent, can't do the same thing?

Too bad they coiuldn't get the Giants best TE. :wacko:

Brees owners are happy.

why all the love for boss? seems good, but what has he really done yet? i'm by no means a shockey fan, but looking at it objectively you gotta think the saints did well here...shockey's best seasons were with payton as O.C.

why all the love for boss? seems good, but what has he really done yet? i'm by no means a shockey fan, but looking at it objectively you gotta think the saints did well here...shockey's best seasons were with payton as O.C.

Well, they won a SB last year without Shockey. Eli played better when Boss was in. Call it a coincidence, but Boss is part of the reason they won.

if if IF he can stay healthy, i think (a la moss) he'll be gung-ho to prove the messy divorce was NYG's fault, not his....and with how much sean payton/brees love to throw, i personally think shockey could be absolutely huge this year. it's not like brees has another surefire receiving option besides colston (and bush when he's not hurt...devery henderson? meacham?). saints have always had ernie conwell/boo williams/billy miller/eric johnson types at TE, and brees has never had a TE with the pure skill of shockey (say what you want, he's a oil and vinegar, yes, but he's got talent). could be a one-year boon to the saints/shockey's fantasy owners until he wears out his welcome. but i'd love to hear what raj'n and other saints homers think....

edit to add that this also might help bush...again, shockey is a mopey, me-first punk but he's one of the better blocking TEs's in the league

It's funny, but Shockey never struck me as a me-first kind of guy. Arrogant, egotistical, loud-mouth, know-it-all... but typically someone who is considered a great blocker is not a me-first type of person. Honestly the thing that worries me the most about Shockey is of course the injuries. Even so, a healthy Shockey for 8 weeks of the season is better than no Shockey at all. I think he's a perfect fit for the team and should be an instant impact player for us. As far as the attitude I think Payton has enough experience with him to know what he is in for & both Payton & Brees have a strong enough personality to command his respect.

What is the impact this has on Colston?

I think it has more impact on the Saints other receivers. Brees already loves to throw it to Colston & they will always spread the ball around regardless, but I would bet this will open a few more seams for Colston & with Shockey's blocking it may help break a few long RAC's.

Botom line, a few lees balls headed to Devery, Patton & the like and a few more big gains from Colston and an equal amount of opportunities in the red zone.

It's funny, but Shockey never struck me as a me-first kind of guy. Arrogant, egotistical, loud-mouth, know-it-all... but typically someone who is considered a great blocker is not a me-first type of person. Honestly the thing that worries me the most about Shockey is of course the injuries. Even so, a healthy Shockey for 8 weeks of the season is better than no Shockey at all. I think he's a perfect fit for the team and should be an instant impact player for us. As far as the attitude I think Payton has enough experience with him to know what he is in for & both Payton & Brees have a strong enough personality to command his respect.

agreed. but, the two NO TE's seemed to cancel each other out (fantasy wise). it would be nice to see one guy get most the looks and i wonder if the Shock-jock could be that guy.

you must be talking exclusively while brees has been in NO....Brees did play with a guy name Antonio Gates, you know.

He certainly plays with passion, but his emotions often get the better of him. Among the highlights are:

• Yelling at Eli on any play he thought he should get the ball

• several occasions when he did not attempt to make a play during an interception runback because he was busy yelling at the ref

• getting into it with the fans regularly, including the infamous cup of ice

• I remember a recent 15 yard unsporstmanlike conduct penalty after a first down which set the team back and killed a drive.

Factor in that he seems to be plagued with various injuries and also never made an effort to be in the OTAs, and I won't be sorry to see him go. I don't think Boss is the same talent level, but in his short audition, he showed he was willing to keeping his mouth shut and simply work hard.

My guess is as long as he's recovered fully from the injury, you will get a great year out of him. He will be fired up to prove the Giants made a mistake. I'll be more interested in how he is in year two. Maybe Brees can get him to come to voluntary workouts.

Edited by smithkt