[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dorsey likely to hold out

fingfootball

Jeffri Chadiha: Last year, No. 1 pick JaMarcus Russell staged a lengthy holdout and never was a factor during the season. Which rookie is most likely to fill that role in 2008?

Kansas City defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. This one is a no-brainer for two reasons. One is that Dorsey was arguably the best prospect in this year's draft -- a player capable of going No. 1 overall -- until he slipped to the Chiefs at pick No. 5. The other factor is Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson. He is known for being a hard-line negotiator and I doubt that will change in the next few weeks.

The first thing you have to realize about Dorsey is that he's going to be a cornerstone for this organization. The Chiefs want him to be the foundation of their Cover 2 defense and a future leader in the locker room. Those things don't come cheap, and Dorsey's agent, Joel Segal, is well aware of that. There's also the fact that Atlanta gave No. 3 overall pick Matt Ryan such a ridiculously fat deal (six years, $72 million) that Dorsey may be thinking he can find similar riches in Kansas City.

The next thing you have to understand is that negotiations involving Peterson too often result in holdouts. Just look at last year: Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe missed the first 10 days of training camp because he hadn't reached a deal with the Chiefs and he played college football with Dorsey at LSU. You can't tell me Bowe hasn't warned Dorsey about the value of patience in this. In fact, I'd bet Bowe has already told Dorsey to prepare for a late arrival to camp.

By the way, Bowe's battles with Peterson over money were nothing compared to those of other Chiefs first-round picks. Former Chiefs defensive tackle Ryan Sims -- who turned out to be a colossal bust -- missed all of training camp while his deal was getting done in 2002. Former Chiefs offensive tackle John Tait also held out after Peterson couldn't satisfy his demands in 1999. And I don't even have to mention the way Peterson has wrestled over major loot in the past with star veterans like Larry Johnson and Jared Allen.

If all this isn't enough evidence, just think about this: Only five of this year's first-round picks have agreed to terms so far, although the top four are now under contract, with No. 2 pick Chris Long recently signing with St. Louis. Those numbers tell me Dorsey and the Chiefs have even more reason to wait and see how the market plays out. So Kansas City fans should take a deep breath. They've seen Peterson and highly touted rookies squabble before … and they're about to see it happen again.

link

Edited by fingfootball