[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints Training Camp Reports

rajncajn

Already one great report form Saints camp. Looks like Shockey is already fitting in nicely & Deuce is looking well so far.

http://www.fox40now.com/sports/25850934.html

Saints Training Camp in Jackson: Offense Day One, Practice One

Saints Camp

By Travis Recek

Story Created: Jul 24, 2008

Story Updated: Jul 24, 2008

Welcome to New Orleans Saints training camp from Millsaps College in Jackson once again and welcome to FOX 40's live and continuous coverage of camp.

8:49 a.m. The team is all out on the grass practice fields up top and slowly warming up. They have already dispersed into position groups for some light drills.

8:57 a.m. The newest Saint, Jeremy Shockey, is out here wearing #88. He's also got a new, clean cut haircut and is working individually with an assistant coach on lining up in the right formation.

9:11 a.m. The first team offense is working out right now with Deuce McAllister getting some of the reps at running back. McAllister enters camp about nine pounds lighter than he did two years ago coming off knee surgery.

9:18 a.m. Light offense vs. defense drills are over for now, the team is lined up together stretching.

9:24 a.m. The stretching part of practice is over and the offense has split off on its own. The backs are catching passes and running through the padded gauntlet. The lineman are off working with their coaches on footwork.

9:28 a.m. Three quarterbacks are in camp right now: starter Drew Brees, veteran Mark Brunell and 2nd-year guy Tyler Palko. Brees is taking the first reps in drills, followed by Brunell then Palko.

9:37 a.m. So far, so good for Deuce. He's participated in every drill, the knee looks to be fine in these light workouts and his shoes are also drawing some attention with shiny gold bottoms.

9:44 a.m. The backs and receivers are together running drills. Brees just connected with Shockey on a sliding catch, drawing the biggest reaction from the fans so far. Shockey looks to be in great shape from first glance and unhindered from the fractured fibula he suffered in New York last season.

9:51 a.m. Adrian Arrington just made the catch of the day in one-on-one drills, diving in the end-zone to make a grab on a deep pass. Arrington was drafted in the 7th round this past season out of Michigan and the Saints hope he can find that 7th round receiver magic similar to Marques Colston.

10:07 a.m. There's a little downtime in practice. Special teams is going through punting drills, while the receivers are working on getting off the line of scrimmage. The quarterbacks, running backs and tight ends are taking a break.

10:15 a.m. Terrell Owens made the exercise bike famous at training camp a few years ago, but every team has bikes lined up around the practice fields and those not fully healthy are usually riding them. Tight end Eric Johnson is one of those guys riding the bike today. Johnson is on the non-football injury list. Also we just noticed that Marques Colston is next to him on the bike. Colston is in his jersey and shorts after starting the day in pads, working out with the team. We'll try and find out more on his status soon.

10:25 a.m. The offense is back at full force going against the first team defense. Drew Brees looks sharp as usual, connecting with Shockey on a leaping grab and Devery Henderson.

10:38 a.m. With the first practice of camp winding down you can see the players start to drag a little as the heat wears on them. The sun has been out almost all morning, with very little breeze, so yes it's hot.

10:41 a.m. We haven't talked much about the offensive line this morning, but the Saints have most of their line returning. Center Jeff Faine did leave for Tampa Bay, meaning backup Jonathan Goodwin should take over the starting job. In individual drills against the defensive lineman, Goodwin is looking good staying on his blocks.

10:52 a.m. It looks like we're in the final drills of the morning practice, with the full offense going against the defense. Mark Brunell and Tyler Palko are getting a lot of snaps right now, as the first team guys seem to be resting. Palko completed a touchdown pass to Adrian Arrington on a ball across the middle that really should have been intercepted.

10:59 a.m. We'll be speaking with coach and players following practice and bringing you their thoughts shortly. We'll also be back for practice #2 at 4:20 p.m. with more live updates.

And for you IDPers

http://www.fox40now.com/sports/25851659.html

Saints Training Camp in Jackson: Defense Day One, Practice One

By Kristina Pink

Story Created: Jul 24, 2008

Story Updated: Jul 24, 2008

Welcome to Fox 40's live coverage of the Saints 'D' from training camp in Jackson.

9:07 AM CB Mike McKenzie (currently on the physically unable to perform list) arrived on the practice field with a knee brace. Coach Payton said in Tuesday's presser that McKenzie is day-to-day.

9:33 AM The coaches have the DBs working out right directly in front of the fan bleachers. McKenzie's working out with no pads, but looking mobile, not too slowed down by the knee.

9:53 AM Johnathan Vilma looks to be at full speed working with the second team defense. He didn't run in yesterday's workouts, but looks okay today.

9:55 AM In his Tuesday presser Payton said they'll be competition at almost every position, including the secondary. WR Lamar Moore just reached over fourth string corner Greg Fassit to grab a pass that got the fans pretty excited. Good for Moore, not good for Fassit, who's one of the guys battling for some playing time.

10:25 AM Looks like Vilma has remained on the second team 'D' for the entire morning practice.

10:37 AM Former Ole Miss Coach Ed Orgeron looks to be fitting into his new role as Saints defensive line coach pretty well, even without rookie holdout Sedrick Ellis in camp. Right now he's working Charles Grant one-on-one.

10:43 AM SACKS!!!! Don't need to remind anybody that the "D' had some trouble getting to the QB last season. Well, Rookie DeMario Pressley (NC State) was showing off some speed in practice, splitting two tackles enroute to the QB. Just drills, but hopefully that's a sign of good things to come from the rookie. The crowd seemed to think so.

10:56 AM CB Jason Craft just let an easy pick slip through his fingers. Next play, S Charles Reis let one get away as well. I'm not suprising anyone by stating this: secondary needs work. :wacko:

11:00 AM Kickers and Punters on the practice field working out alone.

More to come when it's available...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Vilma running with the 2nd team... Payton said that Vilma would start out with the second team because he hasn't been full speed in any of the OTAs and he wants to bring him up to speed before he runs with the first team.

I'll be interested to hear more on why Colston is riding the bike on the sidelines....

Edit: Just read this

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/07/th...ice_report.html

The biggest news nugget of the day is that receiver Marques Colston missed his first practice Thursday morning, though both he and Coach Sean Payton described it as a precautionary measure. Colston had his knee drained Wednesday after experiencing some swelling. He's expected to participate in individual drills this afternoon.
Edited by myhousekey

Brees just connected with Shockey on a sliding catch, drawing the biggest reaction from the fans so far. Shockey looks to be in great shape from first glance and unhindered from the fractured fibula he suffered in New York last season.

Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming.

-Reggie Bush looked stockier than in the past.

-Deuce looked much thinner than last year.

-Shockey and Vilma were in full pads. They participated in every drill and were not limited in anyway.

-Shockey stayed after practice and ran patterns with Brees. Coach Payton stayed after practice and watched Brees and Shockey practice together(He had a big smile on his face) Shockey caught everything that was thrown at him.

-Adrian Arrington made several big catches. One in 11 on 11 which would of resulted in a TD.

-Lance Moore caught every ball thrownhis way.

-Skyler Green dropped at least 3 balls thrown his way.

-Copper and Henderson dropped a few passes also.

-Mike M. participated in individual drills but not 7 on 7 or 11 on 11.

-DeMario Pressley DOMINATED in OL vs. DL drills. Twice he got to the QB(dummy) with ease. Very fast first step.

-Troy Evans was very vocal during practice, often screaming and grunting. During a break a water boy ran to the field with water and Troy screamed "Damn look at that hustle".

-Grant owned Stichcomb in the one on one drill with a spin move.

-Bobby McCray looked very fast coming off the corner. He is very tall and the most impressive thing about his is his wing span...His arms are so long. He will knock alot of balls down this year by getting his hands up.

-Craft dropped an Int.

-Usama Young looked like the fastest CB while side stepping through dummies

-Curtis(WR Coach) was constantly coaching Adrian Arrington. He also got onto Henderson after making a catch on a fly pattern, he made the catch while he was falling to the ground. Curtis's complaint was that he would of scored 6 if he would of kept his feet.

-Stecker looked very ripped.

-No one of any value signed autographs except Coach Payton, Some loony girl asked coach Payton why we aren't going after Brett Farve.

-Oh and one fan called Jeremy Shockey - Johnny Shockey.

Hope this helps a little!

Some common themes I am seeing:

- Everyone on the team came in at weight except one & I haven't found out who. I'm guessing it's one of the injured players. Of all the players though I've heard that all the RBs look ripped. Bush seems stockier (I saw a pic that reminded me of Pittman), Deuce is leaner & Stecker looks great as well.

-Arrington has really impressed on the first day making a few nice grabs & catching nearly everything coming his way.

-Shockey & Brees are putting in a LOT of extra time together.

- The D line is playing great despite not having Ellis in the mix yet.

Edited by rajncajn

Here's a great camp blog with a few interviews including some quotes from Shockey.

- Tailback Deuce McAllister, who is recovering from surgeries on both of his knees, looked "awesome" during his first practice according to quarterback Drew Brees, who joked that Deuce is lighter than he's been since his senior year of college. McAllister, who weighed in at a slender 227 pounds when he reported to camp, participated fully in the morning practice session but will probably take it easy this afternoon.

- Linebacker Jonathan Vilma (knee) looked great as he went full-speed on Thursday morning. He ran with the second team behind starter Mark Simoneau because Vilma is still playing catch-up after being limited this summer. But that will change sooner than later.

Shockey made his long-awaited debut in front of the media today, discussing his trade for the first time.

He made it clear that he was happy to get a fresh start with the Saints after pushing for a trade out of New York, though he still had some nice things to say about his former team, complimenting the Giants on the run they made to the Super Bowl championship last year.

"If I would have gone back to the Giants, it would have been a circus," said Shockey, who thinks the deal was a win-win. "New York got a good package. Hopefully New Orleans is going to get a really good package."

Shockey admitted that he is a passionate person who wears his emotions on his sleeve, but he insisted that he cares about winning, first and foremost.

"I'm starting from Ground Zero and working my way up like I'm trying to make this team," said the four-time Pro Bowler.

He wasn't especially animated during his press conference, but he did challenge reporters a couple of times when he was asked about his reputation for being a distraction to his team, asking where they got their information.

Shockey suggested that those types of stories can often be blown out of proportion.

"They build you up, and they break you down," he said of the New York media.

Of the Saints' remaining contract holdouts, Porter looks a lot closer to getting signed than Ellis. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Porter here by Friday from what I'm hearing.

But nobody seems optimistic that Ellis will arrive any time soon, with the early first-round signings moving at a snail's pace.

On Vilma running with the 2nd team... Payton said that Vilma would start out with the second team because he hasn't been full speed in any of the OTAs and he wants to bring him up to speed before he runs with the first team.

Great info, thanks RC. I need Vilma back in a big way...

Some common themes I am seeing:

- Everyone on the team came in at weight except one & I haven't found out who. I'm guessing it's one of the injured players. Of all the players though I've heard that all the RBs look ripped. Bush seems stockier (I saw a pic that reminded me of Pittman), Deuce is leaner & Stecker looks great as well.

I've been wondering about Bush this year. By stockier, I assume you mean more muscular, rather than just heavier.

How's that leg thing from last year? Any concerns about legal issues from his college years affecting him being on the field this year, other than the mental distraction?

Edited by yo mama

how is Jolonn Dunbar doing???

WWL said that Dunbar was playing the weak side and that he had an interception and a couple of pass break ups. Bobby Hebert said he was going to be this year's Pierre Thomas. Right now he is playing 2nd team behind Shanle.

WWL said that Dunbar was playing the weak side and that he had an interception and a couple of pass break ups. Bobby Hebert said he was going to be this year's Pierre Thomas. Right now he is playing 2nd team behind Shanle.

Thanks the Saints site has some positive things to say as well.

Thanks the Saints site has some positive things to say as well.

FWIW when asked who they thought would be this years defensive fantasy stars would be, both analysts said Vilma & Dunbar.

Friday 7/25 Wrap Up - Offense

-This afternoon we learned that the team finally signed 2nd round draft pick Tracy Porter. That's good news for the defense, but not so good for Eric Johnson. The veteran tight end was released by the team to make room for Porter on the roster . Johnson was in Jackson the past few days but had not participated in drills because of a non-football related injury. 2007 was Johnson's only season with the Saints, he caught 48 passes for 378 yards. The move will allow him to test the free agent market while the Saints still have Jeremy Shockey, Billy Miller, Mark Campbell and Ronnie Ghent at the tight end position.

-The first on field injury occurred this morning when rookie wide receiver Carlos Robinson limped off after going out for a pass. I spoke with Robinson this afternoon and he says there is a tear in his left hamstring and that it will keep him out a couple of weeks. This is a tough blow for a guy trying to make a team full of receiver prospects already.

-Left tackle Jammal Brown was excused from camp today to attend a funeral. Jermon Bushrod filled in for him most of the day, but Brown should return tomorrow.

-As for the guys recovering from injuries: Deuce McAllister took part in most of the morning drills and was limited in what he did during the afternoon session. Jeremy Shockey was on the field in full gear this morning, but he worked out with no pads in the 2nd practice. Coach Payton said he is more concerned about Shockey coming along physically than he is mentally. The adjustment to a new system is being handled mostly off the field as Shockey is getting extra time with Tight Ends Coach Terry Malone to go over the playbook.

-Highlight of the day came in the late practice when Mark Brunell threw a deep strike to Adrian Arrington who went up to make a slick grab.

Friday 7/25 Wrap Up - Defense

In Day Two of Saints Training Camp, Tracy Porter stole the show. The Saints second-round pick signed a four-year contract and then arrived for the afternoon practice. Porter was a four-year starter at Indiana. Porter has missed three practices with the team, but says he's not far behind.

"I'm definitely keeping up to speed with what coach is throwing at me." said Porter "I definitely learned the playbook as much as possible during the minicamps, so i feel I'm catching up pretty nicely."

Fans didn't get to see too much action from Porter today, but they enjoyed watching him run through drills. There is a heated battle at his position, and he's ready to compete.

"Well, the great thing about the Saints coaching staff is they don't care if you're a first year or 15 year year guy. So my whole thing is I want to come into camp and work as hard as I can and get whatever playing time I could possibly get."

The only Saints 2008 draftee left to sign is Sedrick Ellis. Fans seem hopeful he'll be on the field by the beginning of next week.

Other things FOX 40 learne today at camp, it seems they'll continue to rotate Jonathan Vilma and Mark Simoneau in and out at middle linebacker. He says they're both getting a lot of good work in and that there is similar competition at every position. Also, Randall Gay is making a good impression on Sean Payton. Payton said he's smart, has good instincts, and has a knack for finding the ball.Defensive Line coach Ed Orgeron is very impressed with the talent on the line. He likes the intensity they've shown so far in camp, and says they weren't as productive as they should've been last year.

Edited by myhousekey

Saturday 7/26 Wrap Up - Offense

McAllister did not participate in the morning practice for the first time since camp began. After the practice Coach Payton said that Deuce had swelling Friday in his injured knee and that they had to drain it. Then they were going to take an MRI to see if there was any serious damage. Luckily the MRI was negative and #26 was back on the field, working out in the afternoon session. McAllister spoke to the media after practice and said he twisted the knee early in Friday morning's practice, but he was able to continue, so he knew it wasn't serious. He says he was a little nervous when the swelling occurred but he felt fine working out today and believes his comeback is still on schedule. Deuce would like to continue to get one full workout a day, so we'll continue to monitor his status daily, but for now bullet dodged.

-The latest roster moves: we know Eric Johnson was cut Friday, the team also let injured wide receiver Carlos Robinson go as well as long snapper Ryan Senser.

-Lot of special teams work this morning and afternoon as well, the kicking battle is heating up between Martin Gramatica and 6th round draft pick Taylor Mehlhaff. Late in the day both kicked three field goals from different spots and both hit all three with Coach Payton looking on closely. Payton says whoever wins this battle will likely be the only place kicker kept on the roster.

Saturday 7/26 Wrap Up - Defense

-Day Three is done and still no Sedrick Ellis. Coach Sean Payton stated that contract talks are encouraging. With the signing of Vernon Gholston to the Jets and Glenn Dorsey agreeing on a deal with the Chiefs negotiations have sped up.

-Safety Josh Bullocks practiced in the morning at full speed, but didn't participate in the afternoon practice. Defensive tackle Brian Young sat out another workout because of his knee, and corner Mike McKenzie still isn't practicing either.

-Payton said Jonathan Vilma isn't having any ill effects from his surgery. He's pleased that the linebacker is healthy and moving well.

-Defensive back Wade Dala is making his presence felt. Dala, from Washington State, signed on as a free-agent this year. He made a nice diving interception near the end of the afternoon practice today.

-Today was hot, and it is expected to get even hotter. There is a Heat Advisory in effect from Sunday through Wednesday with temperatures expected to creep up to 100 degrees. The players should be fine, that's what they have that wonderful cooling tent for.

Edited by myhousekey

Sunday 7/27 Wrap Up - Offense

During our afternoon practice updates we reported that Devery Henderson was carted off the field following a play in which he dropped a pass in the end zone and then pulled up lame. Coach Payton says it is a hamstring injury and they will evaluate him this evening to see his status. Henderson had been seeing some reps with the first team offense, if he misses practice we'll see who steps into that spot.

-Also during the afternoon workout rookie receiver Todd Blythe took a shot to the head and became a little woozy. Coach Payton says they do not know if it is a concussion but he will also be evaluated further tonight.

-It was a good day for Deuce McAllister after a scary Saturday. The veteran running back sat out the morning practice but took part in the entire afternoon session. Coach Payton says they all held their breath a little yesterday waiting on the MRI results but now everything is good and they'll keep McAllister on the one a day practice schedule.

-Today's morning practice was fairly uneventful. There was a lot of special teams work and it was an abbreviated practice. The afternoon session started slow but the tempo really picked up toward the end and we saw some nice performances. Drew Brees is Mr. Consistency, as is Marques Colston. Adrian Arrington continues to make great catches but is struggling a little with the blocking schemes. Lance Moore is not flashy but does all the little things right.

Sunday 7/27 Wrap Up - Defense

- The Saints second round draft pick, corner Tracy Porter suffered a hamstring injury. Coach Payton said they were going to evaluate him this evening to see the severity and they'll know more about his hammy after he gets checked out.

- Fifth-round draft pick, defensive tackle DeMario Pressley, fractured his foot and was placed on the injured reserve list. Apparently this a nagging injury that was aggravated during offseason workouts. Rather than play with it any longer he's going to have surgery.

- To replace Pressley, the Saints signed free agent Marquies Gunn, a defensive end out of Auburn.

- As for linebacker, Jonathan Vilma, he says his knee feels very good. He spent much of the morning practice working out on his own.

Edited by myhousekey

In other news Saints put rookie DE Demario Pressley on IR.

JACKSON, Miss. -- Defensive tackle DeMario Pressley was placed on injured reserve by the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, forcing the fifth-round draft pick to miss his rookie season.

He fractured his right foot in practice Saturday.

The 6-foot-3, 301-pound Pressley was the first of the team's two fifth-round selections, taken 144th overall out of North Carolina State.

Placing Pressley on injured reserve opened a roster spot, which the Saints filled by signing free agent defensive end Marquies Gunn.

Gunn spent parts of 2007 on the practice squads of the New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.