[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp

Menudo

I've highlighted the interesting parts, and put my own comments underneath:

:wacko:

REPORTING DAY: Mike Tomlin heads into his second training camp

A slew of critical position battles are on his agenda but no preconceived notions on how they will turn outSunday, July 27, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Post-Gazette

How does Mike Tomlin love going to training camp? Let him count the ways.

"I love football, I love this process, I love going to camp, I love team-building, readying ourselves to pursue our goals. I am extremely excited. If I had to characterize it, I would say no more excited or no less excited than a year ago."

Training camp a lovefest? Latrobe in late July and early August for the Steelers never has been confused with Woodstock, although all those motorcycles zipping around Westmoreland County for the National Bikers Roundup this week will choke the atmosphere.

Nevertheless, the Steelers' coach obviously has not taken the harrumph outlook by many on his team to heart, not seen the dire predictions about their reign as one-year AFC North champs ending and the title moving to Cleveland, about the issues in the offensive and defensive lines, about having the most difficult schedule in the NFL.

Others won't write his team's story before the first chapter, Tomlin said as he convenes the Steelers at Saint Vincent College this afternoon and puts them through a running test to open their 42nd training camp on the bucolic yet expanding small-college campus.

"There will be a lot of issues, and that is what training camp is about. I think one of the things that I am always conscious about is that I never try to tell a story; I always try to let the story unfold and call it as I see it. That is what I intend to do this year as well."

Tomlin has some noted larger issues, such as a possible 60 percent turnover in starters in his offensive line, the age of his defensive line, building a better pass rush and finding return men. Every team has issues in the salary-cap era in which talent is spread more evenly across the league and depth is always a problem. It's why a team such as the New York Giants could pull off what the Steelers did after the 2005 season by winning all of their playoff games on the road and then upsetting the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Training camp is a time to start solving the concerns.

Besides team and unit issues, competition will be keen for some individuals fighting for starting jobs and roster spots. Among them:

• Veteran Larry Foote vs. 2007 top draft pick Lawrence Timmons at the mack inside linebacker position that Foote has held the past four seasons. Even Foote has intimated the writing is on the wall for Timmons to take his spot.

Foote is a solid player, but, Timmons is the future, and I think that future will start this season. Timmons & Woodley will have a positive effect on this defense, which has lost some of it's ability in the pass-rushing phase of their game. Woodley & Timmons will be an immediate upgrade over Foote & Haggans in that department, but, time will tell if their lack of experience hurts at all.

• Newcomer Justin Hartwig vs. Sean Mahan at center. Mahan was underwhelming in his first year after signing from Tampa Bay in 2007. Hartwig once was a good center in Tennessee, but he was affected by an injury in Carolina.

I don't expect a ton from Hartwig, but, if he doesn't easily beat out Mahan, who was downright awful last season, then I'll be extremely disappointed.

• Chris Kemoeatu replacing seven-time Pro Bowl left guard Alan Faneca. Kemoeatu would seem to have no competition, even though he has started just two games in three years.

I actually like Keomeatu's potential, but, he isn't going to be in Faneca's category anytime soon. This is going to be a major downgrade on offensive line that was poor with Faneca.

• Willie Colon vs. Max Starks at offensive right tackle. Colon beat out Starks, who started in 2005 and 2006, last summer. Does paying Starks $7 million this season add to his virtues in this competition?

Neither of these two have been consistent, but, Colon seems to have a mean streak in him, and more of a competitive fire than Starks has shown. I believe that Colon will win this job, and Starks will be in waiting, in case of an injury by Smith or Keomatu, or poor play by Keomo.

• Deshea Townsend vs. Bryant McFadden at right cornerback. McFadden, entering his fourth season, has yet to surpass the steady old vet.

I expect Townsend to hold off McFadden for one more year, with McFadden getting the start next season. CB is one area where I like our depth. McFadden is going to be a solid player in this league.

• Ryan Clark vs. Anthony Smith at free safety. As long as Clark, who had his spleen removed at mid-2007 season, is healthy, it's his job. Smith took over when Clark left, then could not hold onto it.

Despite his big mouth last year and poor performance trying to back it up against the Patriots, I still think Anthony Smith has a lot of potential. He hits like a truck and is athletic enough to cover. However, he needs to get his head on straight and has a lot to learn about coverage in the NFL. If Clark is healthy, he will start the season, after Smith failed to seize his opportunity last season.

• Willie Parker and rookie Rashard Mendenhall at running back. This won't be an either/or situation but the start of what should be a good one-two punch for the Steelers that might on occasion see them in the backfield at the same time. How much time Mendenhall gets will depend on Mendenhall.

"The growth of his role will be determined on his ability to execute from an assignment standpoint," Tomlin said. "I don't have a crystal ball, and we will let that play out. He's got a nice, humble mentality about him, so I won't be shocked if he does some nice things for us."

I love the idea of them both being in there sometimes. However, I've heard teams talk about that before, and it never seems to come to fruition. Mendenhall will slowly be brought into the fold, and I expect Parker to be a great value pick, with where he has been listed on several cheatsheets that I've seen. The Steelers offensive line is poor, but, their weapons in the passing game, should allow Parker to put up some decent numbers. This is hard to predict though, as Mendenhall could come in and wow everyone in the off-season, making Parker's low ranking look about right. Definitely something to keep an eye on in the off-season.

• Finding a return man. Santonio Holmes, who did a good job of returning punts as a rookie in 2006, wasn't allowed to do it last season, and everyone else failed. He could be the leading candidate. Others of note: Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Willie Reid and Jeremy Bloom.

• Find a new third-down back: Najeh Davenport and, on occasion, Carey Davis performed that job last season. It almost surely will go to Moore, who was signed for that purpose as an unrestricted free agent from the Minnesota Vikings.

This COULD be awful news for Willie Parker owners. IF he happens to be sharing some time to Mendenhall AND giving up 3rd downs to Mewelde Moore, it is going to be tough for him to get enough touches to be productive. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

• Dennis Dixon, the team's fifth-round draft choice, will replace departed Brian St. Pierre as the No. 3 quarterback.

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers stick to their stance of not using Dixon in any kind of "slash" role. I think his potential in an occasional role like that might be tough for them to resist in the long run. I loved the Dixon pick. With Batch getting up in age, he could develop into a solid backup QB with benefits.

• Plenty of roster decisions must be made, such as the No. 3 tight end, the No. 5 or even 6 wide receivers, which backup offensive linemen to keep, whether one or two of the young defensive linemen can bump off an old vet backup or two, and if rookie Ryan Mundy can beat out Tyrone Carter as a backup safety.

"One of the things we've learned around here and I've learned in this business," Tomlin said, "is that if a man has a helmet and is invited to camp, he has an opportunity."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job there Menudo. I'd like to give some input as I have a few thoughts but most are in line with yours but it is way late and I am way past bedtime. Mendenhall is saying all the right stuff and is looking pretty good but I don't think the tourch is going to just be handed to him. I think we are going to have a true RBBC going here in Pittsburgh if Mendenhall shows that he is up to his end. I think this can be great for the Steeler fans and meh for the fantasy owners. Parker is going to fall deep in drafts with more and more Mendenhall news coming out but I still think Parker will end a decent pick for those that get him at the right price.

Starks makes me crazy. I just know this guy could be great but it just seems like they can't get him fired up. He lacks a mean streak, IMO. If he could get mean I could see no end to how good this guy could be. The only real cure we are going to have for that offensive line are some quick passes to back up that defense. I do expect Big Ben to be more pass happy than what Steeler football normally calls for and that is going to make him a pretty nice pick if he slides just a little. I had him last year in two leagues and loved it as I got him very late in both but this year he isn't going to slide like he did last year. I think he will still be a pretty good value in most leagues though.

My thoughts at the end of the article.....

:D

Training Camp: Hampton fails running test

Tomlin says nose tackle out of shape, places Pro Bowler on PUP list until satisfied

Monday, July 28, 2008

Robin Rombach/Post-Gazette

The Steelers take the field yesterday to do their run tests on the first day of training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.

The philosophies of Mike Tomlin and Casey Hampton clashed yesterday, prompting the Steelers coach to prohibit his Pro Bowl nose tackle from joining his teammates on the training camp practice field until he gets in shape.

Tomlin placed Hampton on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list after watching him labor through five of a required eight 100-yard jogs that were part of the players' conditioning test their first day at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

"He wasn't able to finish the test," Tomlin said. "He's overweight and he's not conditioned enough to participate at this point."

Tomlin said when he determines Hampton is in shape, he'll take him off the PUP list and allow him to practice.

"I could be in better shape," said Hampton, who the Steelers officially list on their roster at 325 pounds. "But my thing is the only way you can get into football shape is to play football. You can do all the running you want, know what I mean? You can have a guy do the run test and be the best run-test guy and he can't play football, so it doesn't matter."

Hampton, who turns 31 before the start of the season, vowed to be in shape and ready to play for the opener Sept. 7 against Houston.

"First game's in September, man, I'll be ready to play, that's all that matters," Hampton said.

Hampton, who would not say what he weighs or what Tomlin wanted him to weigh, said he weighed about the same as he did when he reported to training camp a year ago, Tomlin's first as Steelers coach. He said not only was no action taken then but he was not required to go through the run test.

"I don't think I struggle with weight, I just think my weight was never an issue, and they make a big point of weight with him," Hampton said. "But before, it's never been a thing, you know what I'm saying? I never struggled with it, it's never been a problem.

"Everybody knows I don't like the run test anyway, so it doesn't matter."

Hampton has been the team's starting nose tackle since the sixth game into his rookie season of 2001, after the Steelers drafted him in the first round from Texas. He missed only two games the past three seasons after his 2004 season ended 10 games early because of a knee injury.

Hampton, whose nickname is "Big Snack," made four Pro Bowls, including the past three, and was voted to the Steelers' 75th anniversary team last year.

He traditionally has had trouble with the first-day run tests, when he did them. In 2003, he completed the first 10 of then-coach Bill Cowher's test of 14 40-yard dashes the first day. He sat out the next three and linebacker Kendrell Bell ran two of them for him. Hampton then ran the final leg.

His weight struggles are reminiscent of those of another famous Steelers defensive tackle, Ernie (Fats) Holmes of the Steel Curtain. The most famous poor performance in a running test on the first day of training camp occurred in 1999 when tackle Jamain Stephens, the team's first-round draft choice in 1996, collapsed on the field long before the end of the test. Cowher cut Stephens that night.

The PUP list is a procedural protection for the football team. Before a first camp practice, any player can be placed on it if he has an injury or cannot pass his physical. He cannot practice but can run and lift and work to get himself back into playing condition. He does not count against the 80-man camp roster, and he can come off at any time.

If a player remains on PUP list after the final roster cut down to 53 players, he cannot play for the first six weeks of the season.

"He has to exhibit that he's in good enough condition to participate and I'll determine that," Tomlin said of Hampton.

"Hopefully, it doesn't [take him long] but I'm sure he won't wake up tomorrow and be ready to go. He has to go through a process and we've got to take him through that process. We'll just live day to day with it until he's at an acceptable level of conditioning and weight."

Hampton, laughing, said he hopes it takes him "the whole month" to return, and said he might be fresher for it at the start of the season.

"He says you have to prove yourself over again," Hampton said. "I believe in that. He's the coach and I respect him for that. I would never talk down on my coach. Obviously he feels like I'm not doing what I need to do and I need to get better at what I'm doing. So it is what it is.

"Hey, man, I know come Sept. 7, I'll be ready to play, bottom line. That's all that matters."

Props to Tomlin on this one..... :D Casey Hampton is one hell of a football player, and his job on the field is one that doesn't require him to be as "fit" as other positions require. However, it is obvious that Hampton is using that as an excuse to be lazy in the off-season and he has simply pushed it too far. Tomlin is making it known that laziness in the off-season will not be tolerated, regardless of who you are. I'm disappointed in Hampton for his laziness in the off-season, and more so for his thinking that it should be o.k. What kind of example does that set for the younger guys. :wacko:

Here's another small blurb regarding Mendenhall:

Mendenhall's role?

As a No. 1 draft pick with a new five-year, $12.55 million contract, running back Rashard Mendenhall knows one thing for certain: He is going to get a long look in training camp, whether in the same backfield with Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker or as his backup.

"Being picked high, you expect to contribute," Mendenhall said in a news conference to officially announce his signing. "But that's what training camp is for -- to get in here and start to learn my role and, as training camp goes on, start to see what that's going to be."

Part of Mendenhall's job description could be to return kickoffs, something he said he hasn't done since high school. Mendenhall spent part of the offseason workouts returning kicks and said he felt "confident and comfortable doing it."

He added, "If I return kicks, I'll be able to do it."

I've been on record several times as saying that I expect an 8-8 or 9-7 season for the Steelers this year. That said, I expect their offensive players in the passing game to put up very good numbers this year. I don't expect Roethlisberger's numbers to fall off from last year. They are going to have to rely on him even more this season. The only risk I see is that he could get injured due to their weak offensive line. Here is an article from today. I've highlighted some of the key points.

Roethlisberger will drive Steelers' success

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana / Post-Gazette

After one day of training camp, it seems obvious the Steelers have a lot going against them. Casey Hampton is too fat. Troy Polamalu and Chris Kemoeatu are too lame. The offensive line could be too weak. The defensive line could be too old. The schedule is too tough. The Cleveland Browns could be too strong.

But the Steelers also have one very important thing going for them.

Big Ben.

"It almost scares me how good he is, how into it he is and how good he's going to be," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was saying between camp practices yesterday.

Probably scares a few NFL defensive coordinators, too.

The Steelers are lucky to have an elite player at football's most crucial position, the best quarterback in the league not named Tom Brady. You might argue for Peyton Manning. The Steelers and I will take Ben Roethlisberger at this stage of their careers. That's why the Steelers gave him a $102 million contract in March, including a $25.2 million signing bonus. That's why I'm here to tell you this morning he is the one reason to like the Steelers' chances of holding off the Browns in the AFC North Division.

I'm thankful I have the easy part, not the money part.

Roethlisberger has done so much so quickly that it's easy to forget he's 26, starting his fifth season. He became the first quarterback in NFL history to go 13-0 in the regular season as a rookie in 2004. He led the Steelers to the Super Bowl in '05. Forget '06 because of his motorcycle accident, emergency appendectomy and concussion. He set franchise records last season with 32 touchdown passes and a 104.1 passer rating and made his first Pro Bowl.

"He's going to continue to grow as a quarterback," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He'll keep getting better and better."

Arians already has seen it on the practice fields at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "It's the way he carries himself," he said. "It's a night-and-day difference now from where he was two years ago. Then, he was like, 'I've got to take care of myself. This stuff is hard.' Now, he's like, 'I've got most of it down. I can help the other guys.' "

In the team run test Sunday, Roethlisberger was the first to Hampton when Hampton clearly was struggling. (Unfortunately, he didn't kick The Big Snack in his fat behind for letting his coaches and teammates down). After the morning practice yesterday, he walked off the field with wide receiver Willie Reid, who had a couple of minor dust-ups with defensive players during drills. "You have to be smart," Roethlisberger could be heard telling Reid.

I'm thinking the Steelers bought a little leadership for that $102 million.

But let's be real here. The Rooneys paid the big money for big plays, touchdown passes and wins. There are reasons to think Roethlisberger will deliver on all fronts.

There are the new rookie additions -- running back Rashard Mendenhall and wide receiver Limas Sweed, the big target Roethlisberger coveted -- to an offense that includes the ultimate possession receiver in Ward, a budding big-play man in Santonio Holmes, a terrific tight end in Heath Miller and a healthy Willie Parker at running back.

"I think we have an explosive offense that's ready to take off," Roethlisberger said.

There is an underappreciated offensive line that's better than the 47 sacks the Steelers gave up last season, at least according to the poor fellow who was on the receiving end of all 47 and was lucky to walk away from the last game. "I'm excited for those guys so they can silence the critics who are talking bad about them," Roethlisberger said. "I have all the faith in the world that they'll protect me."

There is an apparent willingness on Arians' part to use a bit more of the no-huddle offense, much to Roethlisberger's delight.

"It's just always been that when things go faster and get crazy and I'm calling my own plays, things seem to work better for me," Roethlisberger said.

But mostly, there is Big Ben.

It's fair to think Roethlisberger's greatest improvement will show in the interceptions he doesn't throw and the sacks he doesn't take. Arians said that's nothing more than maturity.

"Ben has great confidence in his ability to make a play when it looks like it might not be there," he said. "I never want to take that away from him. But, at the same time, he'll get better knowing when it's OK to throw the darn thing away. Why take a hit that you don't have to? Why force something and throw that interception?"

Roethlisberger threw three picks in the first half of the playoff loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars last season, a big reason the Steelers trailed by 18 points going into the fourth quarter. It didn't matter that he played the position as well as you can play it in the second half, completing 17 of 23 passes for 188 yards, leading four consecutive scoring drives and putting the Steelers ahead late. They ended up losing, 31-29.

"I'm ashamed of the way I played," Roethlisberger said afterward.

The man didn't back off those words much this week.

"It's one of those things that you're disappointed because you let a lot of guys down. But you can't dwell on it because, if you do, you're not going to get better. You let it go. It's over. I'm moving on."

And taking the Steelers with him.

Make no mistake about this:

Big Ben is their best chance of going a long way.

Any chance of Mendenhall becoming the 3rd down/goal line back? He's pretty much the same size as Parker, so I'm not sure if it's a possibility or not. If it is, Parker's stud-like 2 TD's last year might turn into even less this year. :wacko:

Any chance of Mendenhall becoming the 3rd down/goal line back? He's pretty much the same size as Parker, so I'm not sure if it's a possibility or not. If it is, Parker's stud-like 2 TD's last year might turn into even less this year. :wacko:

It is definitely a possibility. I'm really interested to see how this all turns out. If Mewelde Moore becomes the 3rd down back, as has been mentioned, and Parker shares time with Mendenhall on 1st & 2nd down, which has been mentioned, I'm not sure how many touches Parker will get. I think performance will determine how this all plays out.

It is definitely a possibility. I'm really interested to see how this all turns out. If Mewelde Moore becomes the 3rd down back, as has been mentioned, and Parker shares time with Mendenhall on 1st & 2nd down, which has been mentioned, I'm not sure how many touches Parker will get. I think performance will determine how this all plays out.

Yeah, not sure why you'd give Moore the 3rd down back position unless you were planning on splitting with Mendenall and Parker. This is going to be a fantasy disaster, but probably a very productive and deep backfield overall for the Steelers.

Yeah, not sure why you'd give Moore the 3rd down back position unless you were planning on splitting with Mendenall and Parker. This is going to be a fantasy disaster, but probably a very productive and deep backfield overall for the Steelers.

They might need all three by season's end, with that offensive line :wacko:

Daniel Sepulveda, (Steeler punter), is out for the season with a torn ACL in his right leg as per Tomlin on local news. :D

:wacko: I fricken HATE training camp injuries :D

I know most are going to think, bid deal, a kicker....however, this kid has a great leg and a good ability of pinning teams deep. This sucks. :D

If the Steelers weren't such a great organization (pains me to say it, but it's true), I would say this would be a rebuilding year. Some talent for future, yes, but not this year. Other teams with (seemingly) same talent don't sniff the playoffs

But since the Steelers are a great organization (still pains me to say it), you never can say that with certainty. Granted, a perenially weak division has made a bit easier through the years, but you can't argue w/ success.

If the Bengals can avoid some injuries (highest paid free agent ever was hurt in first practice.........but he'll be back before season) they will contend. Browns have finally come of age. Don't know what to think of Ravens. Wont' be as easy (hopefully) for Steelers in years to come, but you gotta believe they'll always be in it.

Not much out of camp yesterday, other than the loss of Sepulveda :wacko: . Here are a few blurbs. I'm happy to hear that Sweed is off to a good start. Also, Paul Ernster is being brought in to replace Sepulveda. Based on Ernster's previous performances, this is a pretty large downgrade.

Quick hits

• Other than Sepulveda, there were no new injuries yesterday, and none of the injured returned to practice.

• The first two quarterbacks completed good two-minute drills with perfect touchdown passes. Ben Roethlisberger threw a tight spiral in a crowd that Nate Washington caught. Charlie Batch then completed all seven of his passes, including the final on a fade pattern on which 6-foot-4 rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed got perfect position on 5-9 cornerback Anthony Madison, leaped and caught it in the left back corner for the score -- just as the Steelers drew it up on draft day. "We're giving [sweed] a bunch of reps," Tomlin said of his second-round draft pick. "He's a guy who has a lot of energy, a young guy who has a ways to go. He's capable of taking a lot of reps. He's one of those guys who doesn't get fatigued; he can run all day. So, it gives him a bunch of opportunities, and he took advantage of a few of those today."

Paul Ernster, 26, was claimed off waivers from the Detroit Lions yesterday to replace him. Ernster, drafted in the seventh round by Denver in 2005, has had a largely unimpressive three years in the NFL with three teams, including two terms with the Broncos. He punted against the Steelers for Cleveland in the opener last season.

If the Steelers weren't such a great organization (pains me to say it, but it's true), I would say this would be a rebuilding year. Some talent for future, yes, but not this year. Other teams with (seemingly) same talent don't sniff the playoffs

But since the Steelers are a great organization (still pains me to say it), you never can say that with certainty. Granted, a perenially weak division has made a bit easier through the years, but you can't argue w/ success.

If the Bengals can avoid some injuries (highest paid free agent ever was hurt in first practice.........but he'll be back before season) they will contend. Browns have finally come of age. Don't know what to think of Ravens. Wont' be as easy (hopefully) for Steelers in years to come, but you gotta believe they'll always be in it.

Yes, as a fan of the Steelers and Pirates, I always have faith in the Steelers, even during years where not much is expected. No success they have surprises me anymore. The Steelers do it right, and the Pirates, for quite some time, do it wrong (though I'm happy with the new ownership / front office thus far).

I agree with you 100% that the division is wide open this year. The Bengals have had the talent for several years now, but, can't seem to stay disciplined and put it all together. I still think that, on paper, they have the most complete team in the division. The Browns made a giant leap forward last year and are also quite talented. Now, it is time for see if last year was a fluke or if they are going to sustain their success and build upon it. The Ravens seem to be the weakest of the bunch, with youth at QB, but, you never know with them. Two years ago, they weren't being mentioned much, and they dominated the division. Last year, they were most people's pick for the division, and they failed to meet expectations. The division as a whole might struggle this year, as their are still question marks on each team (Bengals - discipline / defense, Browns - defense, Ravens - QB, Offense, Steelers - OLine) and they play the two toughest divisions on paper. 9-7 might be enough to win it.

including the final on a fade pattern on which 6-foot-4 rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed got perfect position on 5-9 cornerback Anthony Madison, leaped and caught it in the left back corner for the score -- just as the Steelers drew it up on draft day. "We're giving [sweed] a bunch of reps," Tomlin said of his second-round draft pick. "He's a guy who has a lot of energy, a young guy who has a ways to go. He's capable of taking a lot of reps. He's one of those guys who doesn't get fatigued; he can run all day. So, it gives him a bunch of opportunities, and he took advantage of a few of those today."[/b]

Man, is this music to my ears. Sweed is a guy who kept dropping to me in rookie drafts and I couldn't passs him up. He was great at TEX, almost unstoppable, and was playing badly hurt last year. I liked his prospects as much as Hardy's.

The more reps, the better. It will accelerate his time table a bunch to where he might contribute significantly in the second half of this year.

Man, is this music to my ears. Sweed is a guy who kept dropping to me in rookie drafts and I couldn't passs him up. He was great at TEX, almost unstoppable, and was playing badly hurt last year. I liked his prospects as much as Hardy's.

The more reps, the better. It will accelerate his time table a bunch to where he might contribute significantly in the second half of this year.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him gradually get more involved as the season goes on. I think he will be used in the redzone immediately, as he gives Ben another big target (along with Heath Miller) in that area. I still think that the Steelers passing game is going to have to be relied on heavily this season. With their poor offensive line, and brutal schedule, they may actually be playing from behind quite a bit this season.

While we are in discussion, I've told you several times that I really respect your opinion when it comes to all things football. I saw you mention that you were expecting Mendenhall to fail to meet expectations, and I'm curious why you feel that way. I know his resume at Illinois is short, but, I got to see him a ton last year, and was pretty impressed. I'm certainly not arguing with you, just curious if you could elaborate on why you feel that way.

Edited by Menudo

While we are in discussion, I've told you several times that I really respect your opinion when it comes to all things football. I saw you mention that you were expecting Mendenhall to fail to meet expectations, and I'm curious why you feel that way. I know his resume at Illinois is short, but, I got to see him a ton last year, and was pretty impressed. I'm certainly not arguing with you, just curious if you could elaborate on why you feel that way.

I wish you would argue with me. I enjoy kicking your arse. :wacko:

I saw Mendenhall a ton last year also, being a firm Big 10 fan due to my Wisconsin pedigree. I saw him benefit greatly from having opponents being forced to shadow Juice Williams on virtually every play, and from having Arrelious Benn require double coverage in a lot of cases. Between that and the wide open Zook offense, Mendenhall got a lot of running room created that he wasn't responsible for. In short, I think a lot of his success last year was a product of the system and not nearly as much a result of his own talent - it reminded me a lot of the CAL RBs that rack up hugh yardage in college but don't see much skill transfer into the pros. He had enormous lanes at ILL that he won't see in the bigs, and he didn't hit them all that quickly, IMO.

He takes false steps attacking the line, and he doesn't move laterally well. Pitty-pat straight line runners get their heads handed to them in the pros as the holes close quickly while they're trying to make a decision where to go. I don't think he has the accelaration to get to the edge effectively in the pros, which forces him between the tackles and into an area where he doesn't attack the LoS decisively. He also can be prone to putting the rock on the ground - something the pros will figure out quickly.

He didn't have the ability to beat out Pierre Thomas at RB at ILL, and I see him as being a lesser pro than Thomas in the same type of role. Very limited upside - if he can get his act together, secure the ball, and attack the seam before it closes. Those are big ifs in my mind.

At least a couple of the top 4-5 RBs will be miserable busts at the pro level. It happens every year. I think Mendenhall is at risk of being one of those guys. Of course, I though Addai had the second worst chance of being a good pro RB of the top 5 guys who came out in his class, so I miss at least as often as I'm right.

I wish you would argue with me. I enjoy kicking your arse. :wacko:

I saw Mendenhall a ton last year also, being a firm Big 10 fan due to my Wisconsin pedigree. I saw him benefit greatly from having opponents being forced to shadow Juice Williams on virtually every play, and from having Arrelious Benn require double coverage in a lot of cases. Between that and the wide open Zook offense, Mendenhall got a lot of running room created that he wasn't responsible for. In short, I think a lot of his success last year was a product of the system and not nearly as much a result of his own talent - it reminded me a lot of the CAL RBs that rack up hugh yardage in college but don't see much skill transfer into the pros. He had enormous lanes at ILL that he won't see in the bigs, and he didn't hit them all that quickly, IMO.

He takes false steps attacking the line, and he doesn't move laterally well. Pitty-pat straight line runners get their heads handed to them in the pros as the holes close quickly while they're trying to make a decision where to go. I don't think he has the accelaration to get to the edge effectively in the pros, which forces him between the tackles and into an area where he doesn't attack the LoS decisively. He also can be prone to putting the rock on the ground - something the pros will figure out quickly.

He didn't have the ability to beat out Pierre Thomas at RB at ILL, and I see him as being a lesser pro than Thomas in the same type of role. Very limited upside - if he can get his act together, secure the ball, and attack the seam before it closes. Those are big ifs in my mind.

At least a couple of the top 4-5 RBs will be miserable busts at the pro level. It happens every year. I think Mendenhall is at risk of being one of those guys. Of course, I though Addai had the second worst chance of being a good pro RB of the top 5 guys who came out in his class, so I miss at least as often as I'm right.

I think everything you said is incorrect, and that the exact opposite is correct............. :D

Seriously, thanks for your input. If you are correct, then Willie Parker might be a steal at his current ADP.

More news from camp:

- There is no competition at Free Safety, as previously reported. If he is healthy, the job is Ryan Clark's.

- Limas Sweed went off on a cart, BUT, it was only a cramp. Prior to going off with injury, Sweed continued to impress the coaches. He has been

one of the stand-outs these first two days.

The water is back in Steelers' well

With Ryan Clark healthy again, there is no talk of competition at free safety

Thursday, July 31, 2008

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As much as the defense suffered late in the season without defensive end Aaron Smith, he might not have been the player the Steelers missed most in 2007.

It might have been Ryan Clark, their free safety.

He missed the final 10 games after having surgery to remove an inflamed spleen, and the pass defense was never the same. His replacement, Anthony Smith, foolishly guaranteed a victory against the New England Patriots and was benched because coach Mike Tomlin grew weary of watching passes get completed behind him.

Smith was replaced by veteran Tyrone Carter, who missed two big tackles in the AFC wild-card playoff loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars -- on a 43-yard touchdown run by Maurice Jones-Drew and on a 32-yard scramble by quarterback David Garrard in the final seconds that set up the winning field goal.

"It's a shame that to be appreciated, I had to be sick and my friends had to not do as well as usual," Clark said.

Nobody at the start of the 2007 season thought one of the Steelers' most indispensable players would be Clark, not even the coaches. But, with all the problems and big plays allowed by the secondary late in the season, his loss might have been the most damaging, maybe even more so than the torn biceps injury that ended Aaron Smith's season Dec. 9.

"You never miss the water till the well runs dry," said defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

That's why there is no talk of a competition at free safety this season. Clark, 28, is back, healthy and ready to go after a scary period last year in which his weight dropped to 172 pounds -- 34 pounds below his playing weight -- and he thought his NFL career might be over.

And he is lining at free safety with the first-team defense, not alternating series -- or even plays -- with Smith, not like he did last year.

"When I came back, everybody was different," Clark said. "Even Ben [Roethlisberger] came up to me and said, 'We're so different with you out there.' Even walking up here [from the practice field], last year when I was signing autographs, the fans were like, 'Ryan, try hard, but Anthony is going to beat you out.' There's none of that anymore."

Clark said it bothered him last year when he reported to training camp and had to split time in the first-team defense with Smith, a No. 3 draft pick in 2006 with whom he is good friends. He said he was upset because after signing with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent before the 2006 season, he thought he performed well enough as a starter to merit the position.

But the coaches wanted to get Smith, an aggressive, explosive hitter, enough playing time to groom him as the eventual starter. So the Steelers began the regular season with Smith playing every third series at free safety.

"I felt like I outperformed whoever I was competing against at my position, but I still had to alternate," Clark said. "If I had been outperformed against people I was competing against, I wouldn't have got that same luxury.

"No matter how much of a man you are, you say you don't care about other things, [but] it bothered me. Not because Anthony was playing, because I think Anthony is going to be great, but because I wouldn't have been extended the same courtesy had I been outplayed. That bothered me. To me, that ain't right."

LeBeau said Clark shouldn't feel that way.

"Ryan has always been appreciated, I can assure you of that," LeBeau said. "Our goal here is, we don't look at our players as starters and backups. We're trying to get everyone ready for that day when they have to take every snap. We feel we have a good talent in Anthony Smith. These guys have to get game experience so they can grow. It was no reflection on Ryan in any shape or form."

After a 31-28 loss Oct. 21 in Denver, Clark was admitted to a hospital and told the problem with his spleen developed from complications of exerting himself in high altitude. At the time, Clark said he had similar problems in Denver when he played for the Washington Redskins two years ago, but the problem was diagnosed differently.

Now, with his weight returned to 206 pounds and feeling better than ever, Clark is ready to resume his career. He has to take six shots a year, monitor his health daily and be careful where he travels. But he will not forget the problems of last season, nor the death of his friend and former teammate, Sean Taylor.

Still, Clark said he is a better player because of everything that happened, mainly because he doesn't care as much about the little things that used to bother him.

"What can they do to me?" Clark said. "What can they do to me that will be worse than last year? Me being where I was, then turning on the NFL Network and seeing Sean Taylor has been shot while I have tubes in me, to see that happen to someone who is indestructible? To come out here now, it's just football."

:D

Steelers Notebook: Punter hopes for better impression than the one he made last season

Steelers Training Camp / Day 4 Saint Vincent College, Latrobe

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Paul Ernster is hoping his punts with his new team are much better than the first one he had the last time he was on the same field with the Steelers.

Two days after he was waived by the Detroit Lions, Ernster arrived at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe as the replacement for injured punter Dan Sepulveda, who will miss the rest of the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right leg.

"It's an exciting opportunity for me because I've always been a fan of the team and I have a lot of friends who are big fans of the Steelers," Ernster said. "They're really excited."

The Steelers have not placed Sepulveda on injured reserve -- "We will, but there's no hurry," coach Mike Tomlin said -- and he spent part of the morning snapping for kicker Jeff Reed on an adjacent field. Tomlin said Sepulveda is scheduled to have surgery Aug. 6.

Looking ahead

Ernster punted for the Cleveland Browns in the 2007 season opener against the Steelers because the Browns regular punter, Dave Zastudil, was injured. And his first punt was a disaster.

Ernster dropped the snap deep in his own territory then got off a punt that traveled only 15 yards. However, there were four penalties on the play, and the Steelers eventually started a drive at the Browns 22, leading to a touchdown.

"It was a tough situation and definitely a little intimidating, running out there in a new environment and against, of all teams, the Steelers," Ernster said. "It was just a mess. It was the first punt and it didn't go too well. It was kind of a disaster."

Ernster lasted only one game with the Browns and was released. He was signed late in the season by the Denver Broncos, for whom he punted in 2006, but was released after he shanked two punts in a 23-3 loss Dec. 23 to San Diego.

No. 2 pick hurt

Rookie receiver Limas Sweed, the team's No. 2 draft choice, was carted from the field with ice attached to his right hamstring area and did not finish the afternoon practice.

Tomlin said the injury was nothing more than cramps -- the same injury that also claimed free-agent tackle Jeremy Parquet in the afternoon.

Before he left, Sweed made another nice play in practice, catching a pass on a crossing route, breaking a tackle by safety Grant Mason and running down the sideline for a touchdown.

"We took him off to protect him," Tomlin said. "He's a guy who runs all day. He's run a bunch and had some opportunities. The body betrayed him just a little bit."

Injuries and ailments[/b]

Inside linebacker James Farrior sat out both practice sessions because of a problem with his hip flexor. He said he will return tomorrow.

Also, left tackle Marvel Smith sat out the afternoon practice with a groin injury and running back Mewelde Moore missed with an illness.

With Farrior out, Lawrence Timmons, last year's No. 1 pick, worked with the first-team defense. Timmons worked in the 'Mack' position usually occupied by Larry Foote, who moved over to play Farrior's 'Buck' position.

Timmons is being given a shot to replace Foote in the starting lineup.

"They've been giving me a lot of time and coach has been patient with me," Timmons said. "Everything has been going well."

Lost in transition

Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein tried to downplay the notion that some of his linemen followed the lead of guard Alan Faneca and not what he was trying to teach last season -- a notion advanced by guard Willie Colon.

Colon said Faneca disdained the techniques Zierlein implemented and played more the style he was taught by former offensive line coach Russ Grimm. He referred to it as "sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks."

"I don't know about that," Zierlein said. "It was a transition period and anytime you have transition, changing from one technique and one terminology to another, there is bound to be some. Alan's been a great player and a great competitor. He did everything we asked of him.

"It was a transition year. I've been through a lot of transitions and you're always going through things where you're changing styles. It's over and we're getting ready to play this year."

Edited by Menudo

This could be of interest to those in IDP leagues. Coach-speak is that the "Mack" ILB position still belongs to Larry Foote. However, with the way Timmons played at the end of last season, and his impressive start at camp, it is simply a matter of time until he is the starter.

Timmons starts fast, but Foote retains job

Steelers Training Camp / Day 7 Saint Vincent College, Latrobe

Sunday, August 03, 2008

There is no battle between Larry Foote, the incumbent, and Lawrence Timmons, the former No. 1 draft pick, for the starting inside linebacker position known as the "Mack." At least, not in the mind of linebackers coach Keith Butler, who said the job belongs to Foote.

But Timmons is going to make it difficult for coach Mike Tomlin not to get him on the playing field, especially after the way he has been performing in his second training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

And especially after the performance he put on Friday night in a practice at Latrobe Stadium, where Timmons, the Steelers' No. 1 draft pick last year, looked like a young Kendrell Bell in a pass-rushing drill, exploding through anyone who got in his way.

"He moved around well; he moved around real well," Butler said yesterday, less than 24 hours after Timmons was the dominating star of a drill pitting linebackers against running backs in blitz pickup.

"He still did some technical things I'm not happy with, and we're going to get those corrected. But the great thing about him is, he's willing to be corrected, willing to be coached, and, if he's that, he'll get better."

Timmons is a different player from the one who reported to training camp last season as the 15th overall pick in the NFL and not just because he has added seven pounds of muscle and weighs 243 pounds.

He injured his groin the first week of camp, spent most of the preseason watching from the sideline and got little playing time behind James Harrison, Clark Haggans and even fellow rookie LaMarr Woodley at outside linebacker.

This year, he has been switched to inside linebacker -- a position he played at Florida State -- in a move that even Foote thought was designed to get Timmons on the field a lot quicker and possibly replace him as a starter. That wasn't going to happen at outside linebacker where Harrison, a Pro Bowl pick in his first season as a starter, and Woodley are the starters.

"The coaches haven't addressed it to me in that manner, I just perceive that and I just knew that, soon as they put him behind me," Foote said. "One good thing, the way I look at it, they didn't draft him originally to play behind me, so it wasn't like they weren't trying to replace me. They thought the best place for him is inside in our defense."

For now, Foote will be the starter and play alongside James Farrior in most of the basic 3-4 packages. Timmons has been getting time as one of the linebackers in the nickel and quarter substitution packages, where he can use his quickness, athleticism and -- after what he exhibited Friday night -- his explosiveness.

Timmons hit rookie tight end Dezmond Sherrod so hard that Sherrod, an undrafted free agent, injured his neck and did not practice yesterday.

"I'm not thinking about that," Timmons said. "We're just trying to work hard to get ready to have a winning season and get ready for these preseason games."

But, even Timmons conceded, "I'm more comfortable because of the reps and coach has coached me to do what I need to do. So, I feel real comfortable."

The Steelers began working Timmons at inside linebacker late in the 2007 season, getting him ready for the transition to his second year. He even picked up enough of his responsibilities that he was used as a replacement in the dime defense for injured safety Troy Polamalu against the Miami Dolphins -- an indication of Timmons' athletic ability.

Turns out, the biggest impact Timmons made that game was accidentally ending the season of Dolphins running back Ricky Williams in his first game after being reinstated by commissioner Roger Goodell. Timmons stepped on Williams' back and tore his right pectoral muscle while trying to recover a fumble.

"There's been a leap in terms of knowledge of the defense," Butler said. "And there are some things you just can't coach, of course. We see that. But he has a long way to go."

The road is not as far as it was last year, though.

"Doing and looking are two different things," Timmons said. "Having the offseason [to work at] inside linebacker made a difference, totally. My rookie season was about learning more than anything. You have to show them in shoulder pads."

Timmons is doing that, slowly but surely.

Today was the first news we've gotten on Mendenhall. Blogs on the net from those attending camp, have said that Mendenhall has been far from impressive thus far. Tomlin sounded less than impressed with yesterday's goal line performance as well.

Steelers' No. 1 pick comes up short in drills

Steelers Training Camp / Day 8 Saint Vincent College, Latrobe

Monday, August 04, 2008

The first week of his first NFL training camp ended with a thud for Rashard Mendenhall.

The glitzy, high-profile rookie, the first running back drafted in the first round by the Steelers in 19 years, received his welcome-to-the-NFL moment yesterday afternoon before family and friends.

There were several moments, actually. The first two came when the first-team Steelers defense stuffed Mendenhall on the initial live goal-line drill of training camp, with the offense snapping the ball just inside the 2. The third came when he was stopped short again on the seventh and final play.

And the last, before the team was given the rest of the night off on Family Day, came when coach Mike Tomlin addressed the media on the field shortly after the defense held the offense out of the end zone on five of seven plays.

"He better run harder than he ran today at the goal line," Tomlin said of Mendenhall.

Mere rookie mistakes?

"They better be," Tomlin quickly snapped back. "I'm sure they were. He has to run harder, not over-analyze, understand what that drill's about, it's about hitting downhill, and hopefully next time out he'll be better."

One goal-line drill does not a career make and Mendenhall, who scored a University of Illinois record 17 touchdowns last season to go with his record 1,681 yards rushing, will get many more chances.

"It was a learning experience," Mendenhall said afterward. "I think I was more concerned with running the play instead of getting into the end zone. I was trying to read the blocks and get in there, but there's so much going on and coming so fast you just have to get in there.

"Everybody out here's a beast, they're so athletic and everybody's a competitor."

Topped by the team's Pro Bowl linebacker and team MVP.

"Just look at James Harrison," Mendenhall said, his eyes opening wider. "I don't think you find too many college guys looking like that!"

Mendenhall will get another chance, Tomlin said, when he stages another goal-line drill this week, when "we'll probably spin the dial a little bit" with some other candidates. Among those will be Willie Parker and maybe even fullback Carey Davis.

The Steelers keep searching for a short-yardage power back. They have not had one since Jerome Bettis played that role in 2004 and 2005, when he scored a combined 22 touchdowns in those two regular seasons.

They tried Najeh Davenport last year without success mostly because he was 6 feet 1 and ran more upright and thus was more easily found and brought down by the defense. Parker also has been tried but not embraced by the staff.

"I'm looking forward to it," Parker said of his chance to run at the goal line this week. "I only had two touchdowns last year, so I really have to take heed of my opportunity there."

One back who may be perfect for the job is Gary Russell. He made the team as an undrafted rookie last season and was barely used in 2007. But he seems to know what he's doing near the goal line. He scored once on two tries yesterday, albeit against the second-team defense.

"He doesn't over-analyze, man," Tomlin said. "He gets his pads down and he finishes downhill. That's one of his distinguishing characteristics; he has value in that regard."

Russell (5-11, 215) won't concede the short-yardage job to the glamour rookie back.

He did reveal his secret for scoring from in-close, when the entire defense is packed in to stop him.

"Once you see a hole, you have to hit it," he said.

Parker getting goal-line looks, Mendenahll improves, and Keomoteau, Woodley, & Timmons impress......

Steelers Notebook: Tomlin says Parker in goal-line mix again

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Willie Parker wouldn't mind a change in nicknames from Fast Willie to Touchdown Willie.

"I want to score some touchdowns," Parker said after he scored on the first play of the goal-line drill that ended practice last night.

Two years ago, Parker was a touchdown machine; he scored 16. Last year, he nearly was shut out; he scored just two.

"I wasn't playing on the goal line," Parker explained of the difference. "When you don't play on the goal line, that's a big difference."

That's why Parker wants to persuade coach Mike Tomlin to return him to the goal-line offense, a job held last year by the now-departed Najeh Davenport. He got that wish for the first of seven goal-line plays last night and popped into the end zone off right guard.

Parker said Tomlin did not use him in the goal-line drill Sunday because Tomlin did not want him to get hit. As quarterback Ben Roethlisberger put it: "Willie's very powerful. He's fast, he's quick, he's strong with a low center of balance, but out here we don't want him to get hurt, we're handicapped a little bit out here."

Tomlin said that Parker again is under consideration for the job.

"Thirty-nine is a guy who could potentially be a guy in that area. We'll see. He had a nice run."

Kemoeatu makes hit

It did not take long for left guard Chris Kemoeatu to make his mark in training camp. In just his second day of practice and wearing a brace on his injured left triceps, Kemoeatu pulled to his right to block on the goal-line drill.

"The goal-line drill was much better," Tomlin said, comparing it to the one Sunday. "It was spirited. I think No. 68 had something to do with that.

"It's a unit thing, and I think, no doubt, that Chris' presence was a difference for us today. We pulled him. It is what he does, he's a road-grader, he's a violent run-blocker and we ran behind him."

Mendenhall improves

Rookie halfback Rashard Mendenhall, who failed to score on three tries from the 1 1/2 in the goal-line drill Sunday, made it in on his second try last night.

Tomlin said Sunday that Mendenhall had to run harder, and he gave him a better grade yesterday.

"I thought he was better. He was downhill. He went in standing up one time."

Gary Russell and Justin Vincent were stopped short on each of their two tries.

Injury updates

Roethlisberger continued to be limited in practice and did not work in the team or goal-line drills. Among those who returned to practice were Brett Keisel, Marvel Smith, James Harrison, Limas Sweed, Kendall Simons and rookie linebacker Mike Humpal, who made the final tackle on the final play of the goal-line scrimmage.

Tomlin said he expects cornerback Deshea Townsend (groin) back today.

Rookie defensive lineman Jordan Reffett is due back today after missing two days to be with his wife, who gave birth.

Kudos for Woodley, Timmons

Jason Gildon knows a little what LaMarr Woodley faces as he moves into the starting lineup at left outside linebacker. Woodley played one year behind Clark Haggans before getting his chance to start. Gildon played two years behind Kevin Greene before he took over the same spot in 1996.

"He has the talent, he has the skill that it takes to be successful," Gildon said. "But there's a lot more to the position. You don't have the luxury of sitting back sometimes and learning. In his position, he has to go out and play this year, play at a high level."

Gildon, the team's career sack leader with 77, is spending the week helping with the linebackers.

"They have a very talented group of linebackers across the board, inside and out," said Gildon, who played through the 2003 season with the Steelers and lives in Wexford. "I've been very impressed by [Lawrence] Timmons. He can do it all -- play inside, outside, cover. I'm very impressed with his abilities out there."

Timmon's progression has been noticeable. He has really looked good in one-on-one drills and his speed was impressive. Playing mike LB should be in his future especially if Foote's ability to cover continues to be a liability. Woodley is a serious improvement over Haggans.

Timmon's progression has been noticeable. He has really looked good in one-on-one drills and his speed was impressive. Playing mike LB should be in his future especially if Foote's ability to cover continues to be a liability. Woodley is a serious improvement over Haggans.

Have you been attending any practices ? Anything else noteworthy ?

Timmons and Woodley should lead the LB corps for years to come.