[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp

Menudo

I am staying as far away from Mendenhall as possible this year. I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong but all the video I've seen on this guy reminds me far too much of Cedric Benson (without the drama). It doesn't help that the Steelers are up against it this year and will definitely be relying on the pass more often.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dennis Dixon, the team's fifth-round draft choice, will replace departed Brian St. Pierre as the No. 3 quarterback.

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers stick to their stance of not using Dixon in any kind of "slash" role. I think his potential in an occasional role like that might be tough for them to resist in the long run. I loved the Dixon pick. With Batch getting up in age, he could develop into a solid backup QB with benefits.

If they're going to try to mold Dixon into a pocket passer, I'd seriously temper my expectations. He played in a spread option in college, where he was a better runner than a passer. He's also coming off of a torn ACL, which tends to not help with mobility. And to top that off, he was benched for poor play in '06 and almost quit to play baseball full-time afterwards. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but QBs like that tend to not last long in the NFL.

That said, I agree that Dixon wasn't a bad 5th-round pick for a backup. Seneca Wallace has shown that option QBs can develop into solid backups, so there is that precedent. Maybe Tomlin and PIT's GM saw something in him that suggested he could be effective with his arm alone.

No link yet but the Steelers have signed Byron Leftwich.

The Steelers have signed QB Byron Leftwich to backup Big Ben while Charlie Batch is out with a broken collarbone. Batch is expected to undergo surgery tomorrow. It was between Culpepper and Leftwich, both were brought in by the Steelers. Leftwich is expected to join the team at training camp tomorrow.

No link yet but the Steelers have signed Byron Leftwich.

The Steelers have signed QB Byron Leftwich to backup Big Ben while Charlie Batch is out with a broken collarbone. Batch is expected to undergo surgery tomorrow. It was between Culpepper and Leftwich, both were brought in by the Steelers. Leftwich is expected to join the team at training camp tomorrow.

PLEASE BEN, STAY HEALTHY! I really don't care to see tree trunk Lefty behind that offensive line.

I don't think Mendenhall will earn the 50/50 split...I see him coming in around late in the season especially if Parker gets hurt, I think Mendenhall might get into a rhythm and be somewhat fresh late in the season...

especially being a physical back who doesn't seem to be able to handle the defense being fresh...

I am staying as far away from Mendenhall as possible this year. I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong but all the video I've seen on this guy reminds me far too much of Cedric Benson (without the drama). It doesn't help that the Steelers are up against it this year and will definitely be relying on the pass more often.

mendenhall is lighter on his feet and faster overall than benson. i dont see the comparisons at all.

I've been on record several times as saying that I expect an 8-8 or 9-7 season for the Steelers this year. That said, I expect their offensive players in the passing game to put up very good numbers this year. I don't expect Roethlisberger's numbers to fall off from last year. They are going to have to rely on him even more this season. .

For Steelers fans - how do you see the WR rotation shaking out? Obviously Santonio Holmes is big-play guy, but does he supplant the fading Ward as the #1 WR this year? How far does Ward fall? Sweed is getting all kinds of love, but I don't see him starting into the starting role.

For Steelers fans - how do you see the WR rotation shaking out? Obviously Santonio Holmes is big-play guy, but does he supplant the fading Ward as the #1 WR this year? How far does Ward fall? Sweed is getting all kinds of love, but I don't see him starting into the starting role.

Holmes basically supplanted Ward as the #1 receiver last year. He is their big play weapon. Ward will continue to be their go-to guy on third downs and in the red zone. Hines will likely still get more catches than Santonio, though Santonio will likely get a lot more yardage. As for Sweed, I think he will be their 4th WR this season, as Nate Washington has some serious skills and will be #3. Sweed will be used in the red-zone though, as I don't think they'll be able to resist making use of his size advantage. The Steelers have some serious talent at the WR position.

I don't think Mendenhall will earn the 50/50 split...I see him coming in around late in the season especially if Parker gets hurt, I think Mendenhall might get into a rhythm and be somewhat fresh late in the season...

especially being a physical back who doesn't seem to be able to handle the defense being fresh...

I agree with you. Mendenahll did show some great quickness and vision the other night, but, right now, he is running too upright, and not hitting the holes hard enough. I can see why he has been failing in short yardage in camp drills. I think Willie Parker could be the steal of this years fantasy drafts, based on his ADP. There has been serious talk of getting him more 3rd down reps and he is also being looked at as the goal-line back. He looked sharp Friday night.

Go steelers 412 for life

More news from camp:

- There is no competition at Free Safety, as previously reported. If he is healthy, the job is Ryan Clark's.

- Limas Sweed went off on a cart, BUT, it was only a cramp. Prior to going off with injury, Sweed continued to impress the coaches. He has been

one of the stand-outs these first two days.

:wacko:

The water is back in Steelers' well

With Ryan Clark healthy again, there is no talk of competition at free safety

Thursday, July 31, 2008

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As much as the defense suffered late in the season without defensive end Aaron Smith, he might not have been the player the Steelers missed most in 2007.

It might have been Ryan Clark, their free safety.

He missed the final 10 games after having surgery to remove an inflamed spleen, and the pass defense was never the same. His replacement, Anthony Smith, foolishly guaranteed a victory against the New England Patriots and was benched because coach Mike Tomlin grew weary of watching passes get completed behind him.

Smith was replaced by veteran Tyrone Carter, who missed two big tackles in the AFC wild-card playoff loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars -- on a 43-yard touchdown run by Maurice Jones-Drew and on a 32-yard scramble by quarterback David Garrard in the final seconds that set up the winning field goal.

"It's a shame that to be appreciated, I had to be sick and my friends had to not do as well as usual," Clark said.

Nobody at the start of the 2007 season thought one of the Steelers' most indispensable players would be Clark, not even the coaches. But, with all the problems and big plays allowed by the secondary late in the season, his loss might have been the most damaging, maybe even more so than the torn biceps injury that ended Aaron Smith's season Dec. 9.

"You never miss the water till the well runs dry," said defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

That's why there is no talk of a competition at free safety this season. Clark, 28, is back, healthy and ready to go after a scary period last year in which his weight dropped to 172 pounds -- 34 pounds below his playing weight -- and he thought his NFL career might be over.

And he is lining at free safety with the first-team defense, not alternating series -- or even plays -- with Smith, not like he did last year.

"When I came back, everybody was different," Clark said. "Even Ben [Roethlisberger] came up to me and said, 'We're so different with you out there.' Even walking up here [from the practice field], last year when I was signing autographs, the fans were like, 'Ryan, try hard, but Anthony is going to beat you out.' There's none of that anymore."

Clark said it bothered him last year when he reported to training camp and had to split time in the first-team defense with Smith, a No. 3 draft pick in 2006 with whom he is good friends. He said he was upset because after signing with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent before the 2006 season, he thought he performed well enough as a starter to merit the position.

But the coaches wanted to get Smith, an aggressive, explosive hitter, enough playing time to groom him as the eventual starter. So the Steelers began the regular season with Smith playing every third series at free safety.

"I felt like I outperformed whoever I was competing against at my position, but I still had to alternate," Clark said. "If I had been outperformed against people I was competing against, I wouldn't have got that same luxury.

"No matter how much of a man you are, you say you don't care about other things, [but] it bothered me. Not because Anthony was playing, because I think Anthony is going to be great, but because I wouldn't have been extended the same courtesy had I been outplayed. That bothered me. To me, that ain't right."

LeBeau said Clark shouldn't feel that way.

"Ryan has always been appreciated, I can assure you of that," LeBeau said. "Our goal here is, we don't look at our players as starters and backups. We're trying to get everyone ready for that day when they have to take every snap. We feel we have a good talent in Anthony Smith. These guys have to get game experience so they can grow. It was no reflection on Ryan in any shape or form."

After a 31-28 loss Oct. 21 in Denver, Clark was admitted to a hospital and told the problem with his spleen developed from complications of exerting himself in high altitude. At the time, Clark said he had similar problems in Denver when he played for the Washington Redskins two years ago, but the problem was diagnosed differently.

Now, with his weight returned to 206 pounds and feeling better than ever, Clark is ready to resume his career. He has to take six shots a year, monitor his health daily and be careful where he travels. But he will not forget the problems of last season, nor the death of his friend and former teammate, Sean Taylor.

Still, Clark said he is a better player because of everything that happened, mainly because he doesn't care as much about the little things that used to bother him.

"What can they do to me?" Clark said. "What can they do to me that will be worse than last year? Me being where I was, then turning on the NFL Network and seeing Sean Taylor has been shot while I have tubes in me, to see that happen to someone who is indestructible? To come out here now, it's just football."

:D

Steelers Notebook: Punter hopes for better impression than the one he made last season

Steelers Training Camp / Day 4 Saint Vincent College, Latrobe

Thursday, July 31, 2008

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana / Post-Gazette

Paul Ernster is hoping his punts with his new team are much better than the first one he had the last time he was on the same field with the Steelers.

Two days after he was waived by the Detroit Lions, Ernster arrived at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe as the replacement for injured punter Dan Sepulveda, who will miss the rest of the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right leg.

"It's an exciting opportunity for me because I've always been a fan of the team and I have a lot of friends who are big fans of the Steelers," Ernster said. "They're really excited."

The Steelers have not placed Sepulveda on injured reserve -- "We will, but there's no hurry," coach Mike Tomlin said -- and he spent part of the morning snapping for kicker Jeff Reed on an adjacent field. Tomlin said Sepulveda is scheduled to have surgery Aug. 6.

Looking ahead

Ernster punted for the Cleveland Browns in the 2007 season opener against the Steelers because the Browns regular punter, Dave Zastudil, was injured. And his first punt was a disaster.

Ernster dropped the snap deep in his own territory then got off a punt that traveled only 15 yards. However, there were four penalties on the play, and the Steelers eventually started a drive at the Browns 22, leading to a touchdown.

"It was a tough situation and definitely a little intimidating, running out there in a new environment and against, of all teams, the Steelers," Ernster said. "It was just a mess. It was the first punt and it didn't go too well. It was kind of a disaster."

Ernster lasted only one game with the Browns and was released. He was signed late in the season by the Denver Broncos, for whom he punted in 2006, but was released after he shanked two punts in a 23-3 loss Dec. 23 to San Diego.

No. 2 pick hurt

Rookie receiver Limas Sweed, the team's No. 2 draft choice, was carted from the field with ice attached to his right hamstring area and did not finish the afternoon practice.

Tomlin said the injury was nothing more than cramps -- the same injury that also claimed free-agent tackle Jeremy Parquet in the afternoon.

Before he left, Sweed made another nice play in practice, catching a pass on a crossing route, breaking a tackle by safety Grant Mason and running down the sideline for a touchdown.

"We took him off to protect him," Tomlin said. "He's a guy who runs all day. He's run a bunch and had some opportunities. The body betrayed him just a little bit."

Injuries and ailments[/b]

Inside linebacker James Farrior sat out both practice sessions because of a problem with his hip flexor. He said he will return tomorrow.

Also, left tackle Marvel Smith sat out the afternoon practice with a groin injury and running back Mewelde Moore missed with an illness.

With Farrior out, Lawrence Timmons, last year's No. 1 pick, worked with the first-team defense. Timmons worked in the 'Mack' position usually occupied by Larry Foote, who moved over to play Farrior's 'Buck' position.

Timmons is being given a shot to replace Foote in the starting lineup.

"They've been giving me a lot of time and coach has been patient with me," Timmons said. "Everything has been going well."

Lost in transition

Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein tried to downplay the notion that some of his linemen followed the lead of guard Alan Faneca and not what he was trying to teach last season -- a notion advanced by guard Willie Colon.

Colon said Faneca disdained the techniques Zierlein implemented and played more the style he was taught by former offensive line coach Russ Grimm. He referred to it as "sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks."

"I don't know about that," Zierlein said. "It was a transition period and anytime you have transition, changing from one technique and one terminology to another, there is bound to be some. Alan's been a great player and a great competitor. He did everything we asked of him.

"It was a transition year. I've been through a lot of transitions and you're always going through things where you're changing styles. It's over and we're getting ready to play this year."

I finally got to re-watch the Steelers pre-season game from Friday night. The biggest positive surprise was that the 1st team offensive line played VERY well, especially Faneca's replacement Chris Keomateu. Ben looked sharp on all of his two passes :wacko: and Holmes made it look extremely easy, beating Dawkins for the TD. Parker ran well, and Mendenhall showed great speed and vision. However, Mendenhall seems to lack the punch going up the middle, as he dances around a bit too much behind the LOS and runs way too upward. I still maintain that Parker is an absolute steal in comparison to his ADP. On the negative side, the defense did not look great. Polamalu & Hampton are out, but, I'm starting to get concerned with the D-Line. Smith & Hampton aren't getting any younger, and our depth there doesn't look too good so far. Ernster looked good punting the ball, but, I think Sepulvada will be greatly missed. Timmons & Woodley continue to impress and look like they will be great leaders of our LB corps for years to come.

Notes from camp today were that everyone is impressed with the O-line thus far. Colon & Hartwig seem to be sure things to win their position battles over Starks & Mahan at this point. Getting Mahan out of the starting lineup can't happen fast enough for me. On the negative side, third round pick, LB Bruce Davis of UCLA has been a big disappointment so far. Tomlin said that he needs to see some results soon.

I drafted Parker 35th overall, just hoping for some more TD's and then I'd be thrilled with the pick.

I know it is only preseason talk but so far they have been talking real nice about FWP at the goal line. In fact I have heard very little about any other back in the goal line drills.

I know it is only preseason talk but so far they have been talking real nice about FWP at the goal line. In fact I have heard very little about any other back in the goal line drills.

Well, the only other news was that Mendenhall did not look good in the goal line drills, which looks real good for Parker getting those looks, at least early on.

I realize that this is only pre-season, and nothing to get too worked up about, but, wow, does the Steelers 'D' ever look horrible against the Bills. The offense looks better than the defense, but, not great (note, Ben just threw a 40 yard TD to Santonio against the Bills 2nd 'D' as I'm typing this). Tomlin was furious on the sidelines. Leftwich and the 2nd team 'O' was ready to head out, and Tomlin pulled them back and told, in a not nice way, the 1st team offense to get their ass back out there. The defensive performance was simply awful. On another note, Ben & Santonio could be a big time connection this year. Holmes led the NFL in YPC last year, and I think he steps up to a new level this year.

I realize that this is only pre-season, and nothing to get too worked up about, but, wow, does the Steelers 'D' ever look horrible against the Bills. The offense looks better than the defense, but, not great (note, Ben just threw a 40 yard TD to Santonio against the Bills 2nd 'D' as I'm typing this). Tomlin was furious on the sidelines. Leftwich and the 2nd team 'O' was ready to head out, and Tomlin pulled them back and told, in a not nice way, the 1st team offense to get their ass back out there. The defensive performance was simply awful. On another note, Ben & Santonio could be a big time connection this year. Holmes led the NFL in YPC last year, and I think he steps up to a new level this year.

SHHHHHHH!!!!!!

you getting this game?

you getting this game?

Yes, I got the game on CBS. However, my wife was grocery shopping, so, I was watching my son, with an occasional eye on the game. I'm going to watch it again at some point today.

Holmes is the Steeler I target the most. I hope to get im in all my drafts. So far I'm 2 for 2 out of 6.

O.k. I just finished re-watching last night's game, fast forwarding to just watch the plays. Here are my thoughts.

The Bad

- The first team defense, with the exception of James Harrison. Other than Harrison, the entire defense looked awful on the first two series against the Bills first team offense. Granted, they were running vanilla, very little blitzing and no packages coming in. Also, Polamalu is still out. However, there are no excuses for playing the way they did. The defensive line and linebackers were getting blown off the ball. The secondary was giving hugh cushions to the receivers, and missing one tackle after another. They finally had a solid series when Tomlin angrily sent them out for another series against the Bills 2nd team offense.

- The offensive line, which played surprisingly well in game 1, and are getting compliments on their performance in camp, was simply awful. They were getting pushed backwards on attach, making stupid penalties and just playing horribly. Their run blocking was poor, as, was their pass blocking, though Ben made them look o.k. with his mobility. Awful performance from this crew.

- Larry Foote played with both the first team and 2nd team defenses, as he is in competition with Lawrence Timmons for the Buck LB position. He played equally awful with both units. He missed several tackles, and that combined with one of my positives should see him starting the season as a back-up.

- Mewelde Moore has shown absolutely nothing on his returns. He is dancing around and looks awful. He should NOT be anything close to a sure thing to make this team.

- Limas Sweed had three balls hit him in the hands. He dropped two of them (though one was behind him), and the third, he bobbled before catching.

- Rashard Mendenhall really needs to learn how to attack the line when a whole isn't there. His dancing around at the LOS got worse this week, and with this offensive line, he'd better learn to grind out 2-3 yards when the holes aren't there. Don't get me wrong, when he gets going, he is extremely impressive. In those moments, he shows good vision and acceleration. One of them was on his TD run.

- Byron Leftwich has a cannon, but, his accuracy needs a lot of work. Also, his slow wind-up causes a slow release, which won't work well with this offensive line.

- Jeff Reed missed what should be a chipshot FG for him.

The Good

- Lawrence Timmons is an absolute BEAST. His closing speed is phenomenal, and he hits like a truck. This kid is a star in the making, and if the coaches are fair in their evaluations, his competition with Foote shouldn't even be close at this point. They need him on the field.

- James Harrison picked up where he left off last year, and was the only positive part of the first team 'D'. He looked fantastic and is a nightmare off the edges for OT's trying to contain him.

- Ben Roethlisberger looks extremely sharp. He threw one pick, which took an odd richochet after he scrambled for his life. His mobility will come in handy once again this year, if the offensive line plays like they did tonight. He seems to be growing more and more confident, and looks to build on his phenomenal year last season. I know I'll be called a homer, but, there are only two QB's I'd take over him right now to lead this team.

- Santonio Holmes is awesome. He will build off of last year's breakout season, in which he continued to improve as the season went on. He is a legit homerun threat, and he and Ben seem to be on the same page.

- Hines Ward & Heath Miller continue to look solid, as expected.

- Dennis Dixon looked very comfortable throwing from the pocket. He made quick reads and most of his balls were right on the money. He also showed his impressive athletic ability on a 40 yard TD run from a 3rd and 1 bootleg. This kid is a pure athlete.

All in all, this was a disappointing effort.

Dennis Dixon looked very comfortable throwing from the pocket. He made quick reads and most of his balls were right on the money. He also showed his impressive athletic ability on a 40 yard TD run from a 3rd and 1 bootleg. This kid is a pure athlete.

You're gonna love this kid. When he went down last year, my heart sank. The Ducks had a legitimate shot at the National Championship up until that point. He's gonna be a very good QB...too bad he won't have a chance to start somewhere.

You're gonna love this kid. When he went down last year, my heart sank. The Ducks had a legitimate shot at the National Championship up until that point. He's gonna be a very good QB...too bad he won't have a chance to start somewhere.

Yeah that was painful to watch. He could develop into a slash as well.