[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer brined smoked trout

Kid Cid

Since Jimmy Neutron asked in another thread, here's how I do my smoked trout. This also works for catfish and bluefish (and others I assume I just haven't tried them yet). This works for about 3 lbs of fish filets.

Brine recipe:

1 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 cup of boiling water

3 beers (I use a mixture of 2 Coors Light and 1 Yuengling. I imagine that you could do a lot of experimenting here)

1 Tbs black pepper

6 bay leaves

In a large bowl, dissolve the kosher salt and brown sugar in the boiling water. You won't get all of the salt to dissolve but that's ok. Add the beers to the bowl one at a time (they will foam because of the salt) whisking each one thoroughly to remove all the carbination. All the salt should be dissolved now. Add the black pepper and crumble the bay leaves into the bowl. Let set for 1/2 hour to let any remaining foam subside. Place the filets (skin side up if it still has it) in the bowl and place a plate on top because they will float otherwise. Let marinate in the brine overnight.

Before placing in the smoker, pull filets from brine and rinse thoroughly in cold water. The black pepper may have stuck to the filet, make sure that comes off. Let air dry for ten minutes.

Bring your smoker up to to about 235 - 240 degrees. I use cherry wood for a slightly sweeter flavor. Lightly coat the skin side of the filet with olive oil and place skin side down in the smoker. Once the cold fish in in the smoker, the temperature should settle in at about 210-225 degrees. Smoke at this temperature for 1 hour. The fish should be flakey and light brown in color. Serve with horseradish cheddar cheese and crackers.

Edited by Kid Cid

I'm having trouble finding any woods beyond Hickory, Mesquite and Cedar.

Where do you guys get your Apple and Cherry wood? And does it make enough of a difference to make it worth the trouble?

Where do you guys get your Apple and Cherry wood? And does it make enough of a difference to make it worth the trouble?

I get them at Barbeques Galore. There also this site (Wood). I haven't used it, but it was recommended here by several folks.

And yes, the different types of wood make a hugh difference. Mesquite and Hickory are much heavier flavors and are better for beef and pork. I find them much too heavy for fish or fowl. Middle of the road woods like Pecan, Maple and Oak are good for pretty much everything. Fruit woods like Apple and Cherry impart a bit sweeter flavor than the heavier woods and I prefer them with fish and fowl although I think I'll stick to apple wood for my pork. That's some good eats.

Sweet woods seem to be drying up around here too. I used to get peach ,cherry and apple all the time at the place I bought my pit.

Thanks for the recipe, KC!