[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Derek Anderson air showing

Randall

It's just a practice, but it looks like the Browns are expanding their aerial attack.

Browns fans see Derek Anderson air show at Family Night

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Derek Anderson and Braylon Edwards plan on connecting plenty of times under the bright lights this season, and they provided a sneak preview Friday night during Family Night at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

A loud and boisterous crowd of 26,108 watched Anderson and Edwards pick up where they left off last season when delivered on 16 touchdown completions en route to their trips to the Pro Bowl.

If their two TDs Friday were any indication of what's to come, they might as well go ahead and make their reservations for Honolulu right now.

"We've been working on a few things, the fade balls particularly," said Anderson. "It was fun to get out there and make some plays. I think things went pretty well tonight."

The duo started things rolling early in team drills against the No. 2 defense when Edwards laid out for about a 50-yard strike from Anderson near the left corner. The catch set up a 2-yard TD run by Jamal Lewis two plays later.

"D.A. put a good throw out there and I got a little tangled up with the DB [defensive back Terry Cousin]," said Edwards. "At the last second I just dove for it and gave it everything I had. I came up with it, but D.A. definitely put it out there. If I don't get tangled up with the DB, I could've walked into the end zone."

Edwards dove for the ball on that play as though the playoffs were on the line.

"I don't think of risk," he said. "I'm out here practicing and giving it everything I can. Especially when I'm in the stadium, I'm approaching it like a game, preseason or regular season. I gave it everything I had, and I expect my teammates to do the same."

The two struck again on a 13-yard TD at the end of the two-minute drill against the first-team defense when Edwards beat Brandon McDonald at the left corner of the end zone.

The play before, Edwards dropped a pass on the opposite side with Eric Wright defending. The TD came after a deep pass to Donte Stallworth, who's beginning to get his timing with Anderson after recovering from a pulled hamstring.

"It's something we've been working on, giving Braylon a chance to make plays down there," said Anderson. "Obviously, we did it last season, but we'll continue to improve and do it in a different fashion. Now we just have to get rolling with Donte, too, and we'll be all right."

Kellen Winslow sat out team drills with a pulled hamstring, and Josh Cribbs also was limited with a pulled hamstring and played sparingly. But injuries gave receiver Travis Wilson a chance to step up, and he did so by hauling in a TD catch from Anderson over rookie Gerard Lawson in team drills after first bobbling the ball.

Defensively, Eric Wright stood out with an interception off Brady Quinn, and Robaire Smith and rookie Alex Hall both had would-be sacks.

Coach Romeo Crennel lamented Quinn's pick, a fumble by Darnell Dinkins and a few other mistakes that made him feel the team has a long way to go before Thursday's preseason opener against the New York Jets.

Winslow, watching from the sidelines, gave the offense a B.

"Everyone together looked good," said Winslow. "We made some [mental errors], had a couple of dropped balls, a fumble. We've got some work to do, but we can build on it."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

This is about as relevant as the McGriddle I had for breakfast this morning.

You eat that stuff?

There have been questions whether Brady Quinn would take the job if Anderson faltered. Anderson has slipped a little in drafts I believe because of it. I got him in the 8th round last week the 13th QB taken. So far it doesn't look like he is slipping on the field.

It is relevant just not to you I guess.

I rode D.Anderson all the way to the chip last year and am sort of surprised to see him falling in so many re-draft leagues. Works for me as I'll GLADLY snatch him up in the 10/11th rounds.

Now you know he won't last past the 8th...

You know, I just reread this thread, and it put me in the mood for a McGriddle. :D

IM LOVIN IT!

There over-rated. Get the bacon/egg/cheese bisquit. By far the best value on the menu.

Hey Randall .... :wacko:

:D

Those bisquits are famous in the gay community. Don't ask me how I know. :wacko:

Hey taz... 8:30 isnt that early. It shows 5:30 because you are on west coast time.

noob...

You eat that stuff?

There have been questions whether Brady Quinn would take the job if Anderson faltered. Anderson has slipped a little in drafts I believe because of it. I got him in the 8th round last week the 13th QB taken. So far it doesn't look like he is slipping on the field.

It is relevant just not to you I guess.

Interesting story (not really). I don't typically eat McDs but.... I woke up that morning craving my eggos (with peanut butter and syrup) only to find our toaster missing. Turns out my wife let her visiting mother borrow it (she was staying at my wife's brother's house). I thought to myself "who loans a toaster out'?!?! I was puzzled and angry. Since my next option was bacon and eggs (runny dipped with toast) I was forced to leave the house. That's my McGriddle story - next time I get one will probably be week 10 when I'm too lazy to cook breakfast.

E2A: Oh yeah, it's not relevant because it's only practice. We talking about practice man.

Edited by Brentastic

I rode D.Anderson all the way to the chip last year and am sort of surprised to see him falling in so many re-draft leagues. Works for me as I'll GLADLY snatch him up in the 10/11th rounds.

I did several mocks yesterday and he never lasted past the 5th

Interesting story (not really). I don't typically eat McDs but.... I woke up that morning craving my eggos (with peanut butter and syrup) only to find our toaster missing. Turns out my wife let her visiting mother borrow it (she was staying at my wife's brother's house). I thought to myself "who loans a toaster out'?!?! I was puzzled and angry. Since my next option was bacon and eggs (runny dipped with toast) I was forced to leave the house. That's my McGriddle story - next time I get one will probably be week 10 when I'm too lazy to cook breakfast.

E2A: Oh yeah, it's not relevant because it's only practice. We talking about practice man.

This is about as relevant as the eggos I had for breakfast this morning.

I did several mocks yesterday and he never lasted past the 5th

In MSHB2 I got him at 8.03 but it was 7-22nd. It's a 16 team IDP redraft. The good DA news may be the reason is is going sooner.

In the 3RR mock he went at 8.07.

Are your mocks with Browns homers?

In MSHB2 I got him at 8.03 but it was 7-22nd. It's a 16 team IDP redraft. The good DA news may be the reason is is going sooner.

In the 3RR mock he went at 8.07.

Are your mocks with Browns homers?

nope, the mocks from cbs. All 10 team mocks. The latest he went was 46th overall. Shocked me I tell ya.

nope, the mocks from cbs. All 10 team mocks. The latest he went was 46th overall. Shocked me I tell ya.

Yeah, he's available at the 4/5 turn (12 team, 48/49th overall picks) in about 50% of the mocks I've done. Him and Ben R. Still can't decided if either are worth it there, relative to the RB3 or WR3 that can be had there, instead. The drop off in RB value is especially dramatic compared to what is available 72/73 picks in.

Me too. That's 3rd round in a 12.

In Antsports he's going 46- 57.

Edited by Randall