[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre to the....... JETS

darin3

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets Confidential - Aug 6

t's no secret the Jets are currently attempting to trade for Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre. If that trade reaches fruition, what might happen to Jets QB Chad Pennington, the current leading candidate to start for Gang Green this year?

Well it's possible that Pennington could be included in a trade with Green Bay.

But an even better idea might be to trade him to the Minnesota Vikings.

The Vikings were Favre's desired landing spot in a trade according to many reports. However, the Packers refuse to trade Favre within their division.

But the fact that the Vikings wanted Favre, and earlier in the off-season attempted to trade for Houston signal-caller Sage Rosenfels, speaks volumes about how they feel about their current QB situation.

They plan to start Tavares Jackson, but he was very inconsistent last year, and doesn't seem great at reading defenses.

And considering the Vikings are built to go very far this year with a great defense and outstanding running game, they could use a veteran quarterback, with experience in the West Coast system.

Remember Pennington played in that offense during Paul Hackett's time in New York as Jets offensive coordinator, so he knows a lot about it.

And Pennington has done some of his best work in domes, and the Vikings play their homes games at the Metrodome. Pennington excels in domes because he doesn't have to fight the elements which can be a problem for him with his average arm strength.

And with the Vikings' fantastic running game spearheaded by talented tailback Adrian Peterson, Pennington would really be able to sell his great play-action skills.

So if the Jets make the Favre deal, shipping #10 to Minnesota would make an awful lot of sense.

look at how the vikes did with Travaris - I think he's terrible. Pennington has his flaws but he's solid, consistent, doesn't make many mistakes if he's not forced to throw the ball downfield -- what else do you want with the RBs that you have in Minny?

TJack has played 14 games in his career and was 8-4 last year. Didn't Pennington lose his job last year or was he hurt?

I'm not. What he's done has been asinine. I'm glad he's gone, and the Jets gave us a nice pick.

I'm 100% on board with the bolded. BUUUUT - this is still arguably (soft spot for Hutson) the greatest player in franchise history (and this ain't the Texans) being traded away.

Circumstance and blame aside, you wish it hadn't ended like this. At least I do.

TJack was 8-4 with the Vikings. And he was the weak link.

The fact that the Vikings have been exploring QBs so actively this offseason... Rosenfels then Favre...speaks volumes to how they feel about him.

You obvously don't follow the Vikings or the NFL. They were looking for a veteran to back up T-Jack. They were just cleared of tampering charges, so they weren't going after Favre.

I'm done with the hijacking of this thread - start a new one if you want.

chad would be perfect for minnesota - he'd dominate there. it's the perfect offense for him,

Chad Pennington and the word dominate... Usually only in the same sentence with other words like "sacked", "Injured" and "Lose"

I'm 100% on board with the bolded. BUUUUT - this is still arguably (soft spot for Hutson) the greatest player in franchise history (and this ain't the Texans) being traded away.

Circumstance and blame aside, you wish it hadn't ended like this. At least I do.

I absolutely wish it wouldn't have turned out like this. I would have rather had him not retire and start this season, but he didn't. I grew tired of his diva like antics and he being critical of Ted Thompson every chance he got. The Front Office didn't do the best of jobs in the situation, but they did the best the could... They were painted into a corner by his antics and need to leak everything to the media. Up until a few months ago Favre was the greatest thing in sports ever to me, outside of the girl in my avatar. I'm 25 years old, so I was pretty young and I don't remember too the pre-Favre era too vividly. This has easily been the most suck thing ever as a packers fan over the last decade. Worse than losing to the Bronco's in the Super Bowl, and far worse than going 4-12, but in the end I blame one person alone, and that's Favre.

And as a Packers fan I wouldn't have a problem with Pennington going to the Jets. You know exactly what his limitations are, and I think he'd get eaten alive by the Bears and Packers defenses. With Jackson, there is a lot of potential, which in my opinion is a lot more than what Pennington has got going for him.

I am also saddened that the 33 page thread had to end like this, I was hoping for 100 pages :wacko:

To say Jets fans are excited would be understating it.

Not expecting anyone to read the entire mess but my favorite was "awesome! Can he close for the Mets too?"; close 2nd was "too bad it's 2008 and not 1998"

Ha, yeah, I read those... Those guys are already buying super bowl tickets.

On a related note, after seeing this, I felt Sick and empty inside...

Wow, FOX beats ESPN to the punch... at least online. :D

Fantasy implications: Bump up all Jets except, obviously, the two "incumbent" QBs.

Wow, just wow. :D:D:D:wacko:

J E T S...Jets Jets Jets.

going to be a fun year. maybe there is a god after all.

I think Cotchery moves up considerably and Coles moves up a bit....only because I doubt he can stay healthy anyways.....his hands will shatter from a Favre fastball...

Maybe he can fill in for the Mets too.

Brett :wacko:

Edited by Randall

TJack was 8-4 with the Vikings. And he was the weak link.

The fact that the Vikings have been exploring QBs so actively this offseason... Rosenfels then Favre...speaks volumes to how they feel about him.

Brad Childress coached McNabb and now says that Tarvaris is further along than McNabbwas at the same experience level. Tarvaris is the man and has always been the man in Minn. Vikings were never looking for a starter, just back ups to Tarvaris. Please get it right.

look at how the vikes did with Travaris - I think he's terrible. Pennington has his flaws but he's solid, consistent, doesn't make many mistakes if he's not forced to throw the ball downfield -- what else do you want with the RBs that you have in Minny?

Pennington can not even throw the ball over 30 yds....he is washed up with injuries... Pennington's career is over because all he can do is throw 6 yards into the flat and every defense stacks the box b/c he can not throw downfield... that would all but choke Minn.'s running game.

Brad Childress coached McNabb and now says that Tarvaris is further along than McNabbwas at the same experience level. Tarvaris is the man and has always been the man in Minn. Vikings were never looking for a starter, just back ups to Tarvaris. Please get it right.

He's still saying that?

McNaabb's his 2nd year 3365 yards 13 TD's

Jackson's 1911 9 TD's.

I don't see it.

No way Pennington is traded...for this trade to work, he has to be released...and every team knows that.

Mixed emotions on my part...if Favre is 110% committed, then fine...we are a much better team with him than what we had. At the same time, I do not like the idea of giving up a 1 or a 2 for a guy who may not stay with us beyond this one season. I like the deal much better if he plays two years.

He's still saying that?

McNaabb's his 2nd year 3365 yards 13 TD's

Jackson's 1911 9 TD's.

I don't see it.

How could Tarvaris match those numbers when he has HALF of the attempts? Get it right...Childress has a running game and does not need to throw the ball. What CHildress has said on the Sirius NFL betwork is that Tarvaris is reading defenses better, making the same decisions as McNabb did 2 years into his career. The numbers will not be there, but do not be that shallow and beleive what Childress says aboutn Tarvaris. My point is they never thaught they needed to replace Tarvaris with Favre.