[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sound Off: Bobby Engram

j2v

Sound Off: Bobby Engram  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you put Bobby Engram on your fantasy team?

• WR2
    • A WR3 I'm targeting
    • A WR3 I'd settle for
    • A WR4
    • I've got no interest in Engram

Consider this Son of Fantasy University. Each day we’ll make a post regarding a fantasy-relevant player or situation; then, we’ll turn the mic over to you and hear what you have to say.

Today’s candidate: Seahawks wide receiver Bobby Engram

When a wide receiver has a career year across the board at age 34—and that career year includes just six touchdowns—most fantasy folks are more than happy to tip their cap and move on to the next player on their cheat sheet. That apparently is not the case for Bobby Engram, whose ADP of 33 plants him firmly in starter status in leagues that use three wideouts—and brings him into play in many flex leagues as well.

In Engram’s defense, the Seahawks offer little worth mentioning on the ground and have a solid quarterback to get him the ball. So long as Deion Branch remains out Engram will be in the starting lineup, a possession receiver in a West Coast offense.

Is that enough to float your boat? Are you looking at Engram as a starter, someone you’d target as a WR3 over Javon Walker, Joey Galloway, and teammate Nate Burleson—all of whom have a similar ADP? Or is he ending up on your roster by default, after all your other options have been exhausted.

I'll look elsewhere for a mid-deep draft WR. Where he will be drafted, I think there are a handful of better upside guys. At the point that I am looking at him, I should hopefully have my 2-3 WRs and would then be looking for a breakout WR or RB instead of a guy who I feel has a cap on production.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I think he is very startable, and I would be comfortable with him as my #2. Obviously I'm a little biased, since his is the jersey I wear on gamedays, but I think most things align for him to have a very solid season. He is still by far Hasselbeck's favorite target, and his nearest competitor for catches (Hackett) isn't with the team anymore. He is on a contract year and is playing with a chip on his shoulder. I don't know if it ever got to The Huddle, but Engram went on local sportsradio last week and blasted the front office for not paying him. He basically said there is no way he will be a Seahawk in 09. I don't know about 94 catches, but 80 would at least be the over/under. I'm pretty darn happy with 80 catches and incredible consistency out of my WR2.

As long as Engram is in the slot he does well. Never should your slot receiver be your best WR, although Wes Welker came close last year, but w/o Moss would have been nothing, so...if Engram is their best WR, then Seattle's passing game will not be good. Look for Nate Burleson in the 15th round of your draft if you like Seattle.

All he ever does is out perform expectations every year. You could do far worse as a #2 receiver and with no other receiver to speak of in the Seattle O, the ball will come his way early and often. I still wouldn't expect a lot of TDs from him, but as a yardage guy especially in PPR leagues, he's money.

As long as Engram is in the slot he does well. Never should your slot receiver be your best WR, although Wes Welker came close last year, but w/o Moss would have been nothing, so...if Engram is their best WR, then Seattle's passing game will not be good. Look for Nate Burleson in the 15th round of your draft if you like Seattle.

Wasn't Engram Seattle's best WR last year? Didn't they have a very good passing game??

Bobby Engram is not just a slot receiver for this team. Most of the time when they go with just 2-wideouts, he plays the X or Z. He is their starting #1 WR, but moves inside when the Seahawks go to three wide. He moves into the slot in 3-wide sets because he is one of the best 2 WRs from that position in the NFL. I don't think that should signify anything bad necessarily. Burleson late is pretty sound advice however. He will never be consistent, but he will surely have a handful of big games and big plays this season. Until the Branch situation becomes a bit more clear, Burleson will be the #2 WR on a potent passing offense and should perform decently well from opportunity alone.

I think Bobby Engram will surprise many owners this year. Seattle will again be going to the air more this year and Hasselbeck need him. Obviously his age is a concern. I think with their schedule,

SF, STL, TB, PHI, ARI, SKINS, DAL, JETS will provide ample passing scenarios for them unless their ground game take offs and they want to control the clock. I think Hasselbeck will be a very productive QB this year and surpass last years numbers.

Bobby Engram projections –

81 catches, 1275 yards 8 Tds

I think he will be a solid #2 for your rosters

I really like Engram (despite the fact that I just traded him to Kid Cid (see above) earlier this week)...especially as a WR3 or WR4...

If Branch shows up, Engram may tail off.

If Burleson takes a big step forward, Engram may tail off.

If Engram gets hurt...he is old.

I'm just not a fan of 35 year old WRs trying to perform at very high levels in order for my fantasy team to have a good season.

Therefore, imo:

Upside = 80 catches (i.e., 5/wk on average) ... 1100 yards ... 6 TDs = 238 pts (in a PPR)

Expected = 64 catches ... 1000 yds ... 4 TDs = 200 pts (PPR)

Downside = 48 catches ... 750 yds ... 2 TDs = 135 pts (PPR)