[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerious Norwood

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turner was paid all sorts of money.....and it will take some time for Norwood to actually get his shot, but they could very well end up with similar numbers...

I'll believe that when Norwood proves that he can be effective running inside against other teams in real games. Until then, Turner will get the bulk of the work - and he's absolutely a break away threat after getting to the second level, and that's Norwood's niche.

I'll believe that when Norwood proves that he can be effective running inside against other teams in real games. Until then, Turner will get the bulk of the work - and he's absolutely a break away threat after getting to the second level, and that's Norwood's niche.

this is obviously a RBBC and I like Norwood better in the passing game...so I see him providing more in PPR leagues on top of his ability to hit a homerun....which is also Turner's ability...

this is obviously a RBBC and I like Norwood better in the passing game...so I see him providing more in PPR leagues on top of his ability to hit a homerun....which is also Turner's ability...

I'm curious to see how Turner responds to 250+ carries. A lot of his success was in mop up duty with fresh legs and the opposing D sucking wind from chasing LT for 3+ quarters.

I'm curious to see how Turner responds to 250+ carries. A lot of his success was in mop up duty with fresh legs and the opposing D sucking wind from chasing LT for 3+ quarters.

pretty much....I thought this signing was silly and consider Norwood to be what Turner was for LT...where he would come in fresh and hit home runs...

I just expect Norwood to get way more touches than Turner did...

From Lawyer Milloy in the linked story:

"Last year he was out here taking all the reps because Warrick Dunn was pretty much injured throughout the course of the preseason," Milloy said. "I think he got worn down."

He got "worn down" in the preseason. That pretty much tells me Norwood will never be able to carry the kind of load necessary to make him a viable FF starter in most leagues.

From July 31, 2008:

The Falcons new coaching staff aims to use backup RB Jerious Norwood much more this season. Norwood's blazing speed is just too important to keep sidelined. The coaches' plan is reportedly to try to wear down the defense with starting RB Michael Turner, then let Norwood use his speed to deliver game-changing plays.

From Dec 4, 2007:

Coming off an 8-for-94 rushing performance, RB Jerious Norwood could become more of a focal point in the Falcons offense. HC Bobby Petrino: "We have to get Jerious touches," Petrino said. "When you watch the video, he's the most explosive player out there for us. His speed shows up. He makes big plays, whether it's catching the ball or running the ball; so it is a situation where we have to get him more touches one way or the other."

From Nov 2, 2007:

Atlanta Falcons running back Jerious Norwood said on Thursday that they team has been working to implement new plays which will increase the number of touches he receives, beginning with the team's Week 9 game.

From Oct 6, 2007:

The Atlanta Falcons' offensive coaches have been trying to figure out how to unleash RB Jerious Norwood. "He's shown that he's able to make big plays for us," Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said. "We have to give him more opportunities and more touches. I think we're still waiting for him to have that breakout game. I think it's just the number of touches. He needs more touches."

From Sept 10, 2007:

Coach Bobby Petrino said he is going to have to incorporate tailback Jerious Norwood more into the game plan as well. Norwood touched the ball just seven times against Minnesota. He averaged 6.6 yards on 5 runs and had 2 catches for 24 yards.

From July 28, 2007:

Atlanta Falcons RB Jerious Norwood showed more than a few flashes of brilliance as a rookie. And he's wasting little time showing what he can do as he heads into his sophomore season. "Jerious is a guy that you look at, you watch him on video and you say: "Wow, this guy has a chance to really make some big plays for us,'" HC Bobby Petrino said. "He can accelerate and cut very quickly and he has home run speed. He's a very good receiver out of the backfield so we're looking forward to seeing how we utilize him catching the ball out of the backfield. He just needs to continually work on his blitz pickup and protecting the quarterback."

From Feb. 19, 2007:

Warrick Dunn is set to give up some carries to second year running back Jerious Norwood, to even out the distribution of carries. The hope is to have teams more off balance and to maximize the effectiveness of the position.

From Dec 5, 2006:

HC Jim Mora said RB Warrick Dunn's experience and reliability and Norwood's big-play capability have left the coaches in somewhat of a tough spot because both need to touch the ball. "We know Norwood can break some games open, so we have to find ways to get him the ball, maybe get him in the game a little bit earlier than we have without upsetting the rhythm of a guy who is going good," Mora said.

From July 31, 2008:

The Falcons new coaching staff aims to use backup RB Jerious Norwood much more this season. Norwood's blazing speed is just too important to keep sidelined. The coaches' plan is reportedly to try to wear down the defense with starting RB Michael Turner, then let Norwood use his speed to deliver game-changing plays.

From Dec 4, 2007:

Coming off an 8-for-94 rushing performance, RB Jerious Norwood could become more of a focal point in the Falcons offense. HC Bobby Petrino: "We have to get Jerious touches," Petrino said. "When you watch the video, he's the most explosive player out there for us. His speed shows up. He makes big plays, whether it's catching the ball or running the ball; so it is a situation where we have to get him more touches one way or the other."

From Nov 2, 2007:

Atlanta Falcons running back Jerious Norwood said on Thursday that they team has been working to implement new plays which will increase the number of touches he receives, beginning with the team's Week 9 game.

From Oct 6, 2007:

The Atlanta Falcons' offensive coaches have been trying to figure out how to unleash RB Jerious Norwood. "He's shown that he's able to make big plays for us," Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said. "We have to give him more opportunities and more touches. I think we're still waiting for him to have that breakout game. I think it's just the number of touches. He needs more touches."

From Sept 10, 2007:

Coach Bobby Petrino said he is going to have to incorporate tailback Jerious Norwood more into the game plan as well. Norwood touched the ball just seven times against Minnesota. He averaged 6.6 yards on 5 runs and had 2 catches for 24 yards.

From July 28, 2007:

Atlanta Falcons RB Jerious Norwood showed more than a few flashes of brilliance as a rookie. And he's wasting little time showing what he can do as he heads into his sophomore season. "Jerious is a guy that you look at, you watch him on video and you say: "Wow, this guy has a chance to really make some big plays for us,'" HC Bobby Petrino said. "He can accelerate and cut very quickly and he has home run speed. He's a very good receiver out of the backfield so we're looking forward to seeing how we utilize him catching the ball out of the backfield. He just needs to continually work on his blitz pickup and protecting the quarterback."

From Feb. 19, 2007:

Warrick Dunn is set to give up some carries to second year running back Jerious Norwood, to even out the distribution of carries. The hope is to have teams more off balance and to maximize the effectiveness of the position.

From Dec 5, 2006:

HC Jim Mora said RB Warrick Dunn's experience and reliability and Norwood's big-play capability have left the coaches in somewhat of a tough spot because both need to touch the ball. "We know Norwood can break some games open, so we have to find ways to get him the ball, maybe get him in the game a little bit earlier than we have without upsetting the rhythm of a guy who is going good," Mora said.

the difference is I think he'll be used more by default...

not better....he is more durable IMO...

I don't see Turner lasting..

I've found evidence of him missing 3 games in the past 3 years due to injury. I've found evidence that he suffered an ankle sprain in preseason last year that didn't cost him time, and of a tweaked shoulder late last year that didn't cost him time.

He's 5'-10" and 237 lbs - in short, very solidly built.

What do you have that supports the kind of thinking that Turner will break down under a full work load? We have tons more evidence that Norwood is a RB that coaches want to get more work to but don't because he can't stay on the field due to constant nagging injuries, and Norwood has missed as many games as Turner in only 2 years.

I've found evidence of him missing 3 games in the past 3 years due to injury. I've found evidence that he suffered an ankle sprain in preseason last year that didn't cost him time, and of a tweaked shoulder late last year that didn't cost him time.

What do you have that supports the kind of thinking that Turner will break down under a full work load? We have tons more evidence that Norwood is a RB that coaches want to get more work to but don't because he can't stay on the field due to constant nagging injuries, and Norwood has missed as many games as Turner in only 2 years.

Quit making sense... It hurts the Norwood bandwagon.

I'm not trying to push this opinion on others...he was a backup with Norwood who is a backup in the same backfield...

I like one backup over the other...

:wacko:

this doesn't have to be rocket science...

I'm not trying to push this opinion on others...he was a backup with Norwood who is a backup in the same backfield...

I like one backup over the other...

:wacko:

this doesn't have to be rocket science...

None of us are using a 3rd or 4th round draft pick on Norwood though. So you just shutup! :D

RBBC with one guy who couldn't prove himself over Warrick Dunn for the past two years and a guy who hasn't proven he can be THE GUY...yet just got seriously paid and now plays on a bad team that will almost never have a lead AND has a rookie QB. That situation sounds delicious!

I'm avoiding this like the freakin' plague.

I'm actually pretty darn high on both of them, well, long term anyways. Not so much on Norwood this year. They are certainly going to see what they have in Turner. They will push him to see just what his limits are. If he can carry the rock effectively 20+ times per game, he will get every opportunity to do so. I think he will be successful enough to keep the majority of the carries. I don't think there will be enough touches left over for Norwood to make him startable without an injury to Turner. If you think Turner will do reasonably well, there is no reason to take Norwood. If you think Turner will struggle, Norwood is a guy that should definitely be able to give you some production if he gets the touches.

I know I shouldn't start out this way :wacko: but? What has turner done to deserve all this attention? He backed up the greatest back of my time, of course not all time. But LT would wear out defenses for three quarters and a fresh Turner would come in and look like superman. I'm not saying he is going to be bad at all but 25 + carries is a lot different then 10 against tired defenses. I picked Norwood last year in the late rounds and only used him for bye weeks and fill ins. I waited all year for him to live up to the hype but Dunn kept him a non factor? So the only way I touch either one of these guys is late round gambles......There gonna play 8 or 9 in the box until Ryan can prove himself and I may eat my words but I think someone like T. Jones will have better chance,(Jets) I'm not being a homer but with O-line improvements and Farve, I think he will drop below Turner and be a much better value pick. My disclaimer "My Opinion" :D