[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 10 picks of the 2005 draft

Fatman

I was just reading that Alex Smith might be cut at the end of training camp if he doesn't win the job and it made me want to look at the top of the 2005 draft...not that it's news, really, but what a disaster:

1 Alex Smith QB Utah San Francisco 49ers - see above

2 Ronnie Brown RB Auburn Miami Dolphins - good when he's healthy, but that hasn't been often

3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan Cleveland Browns - best of the bunch

4 Cedric Benson RB Texas Chicago Bears - uh, yeah

5 Cadillac Williams RB Auburn Tampa Bay Buccaneers - not that great even when he is healthy

6 Pacman Jones CB West Virginia Tennessee Titans - think the Titans would take a do-over?

7 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina Minnesota Vikings - bust

8 Antrel Rolle DB Miami (Fla.) Arizona Cardinals - so good they moved him to safety

9 Carlos Rogers DB Auburn Washington Redskins - serviceable

10 Mike Williams WR USC Detroit Lions - not on an NFL roster, as far as I know

I can't even imagine how much guaranteed money that was...

Perhaps a bit unfair critique on Caddilac, but, yeah, that's a pretty rough list.

I had a post right around the time of the draft illustrating how, considering the fact that the top 10 players get significantly more money than those picked in the back half of the 1st, that I just might not be worth it to have a pick that high. You can either shell out $30=$50 mil for a guy who's got a decent chance of making it, or you can shell out $6-$10 mil for a guy with a barely worse chance.

It just doesn't seem like money well spent.

And to think a lot of thought from the best football minds in the country made these decisions. :wacko:

It isn't a science. It is hard to predict how players will do in this league.

Anyone else think Reggie Bush looked slow last night. Perfect example.

The guaranteed aspect of the money not only has made some dogs rich, it hamstrings franchises and makes them give the guy more than ample opportunity because of the investment, even though someone else on the roster may be better. That sucks.

1 Baltimore Colts (rights traded to Denver) John Elway Quarterback Stanford

2 Los Angeles Rams Eric Dickerson Running Back Southern Methodist

3 Seattle Seahawks Curt Warner Running Back Penn State

4 Denver Broncos(rights traded to Baltimore) Chris Hinton Guard Northwestern

5 San Diego Chargers Billy Ray Smith Linebacker Arkansas

6 Chicago Bears Jim Covert Offensive Line Pittsburgh

7 Kansas City Chiefs Todd Blackledge Quarterback Penn State

8 Philadelphia Eagles Michael Haddix Running Back Mississippi State

9 Houston Oilers Bruce Matthews Offensive Line USC

10 New York Giants Terry Kinard Defensive Back Clemson

11 Green Bay Packers Tim Lewis Cornerback Pittsburgh

12 Buffalo Bills Tony Hunter Tight End Notre Dame

13 Detroit Lions James Jones Fullback Florida

14 Buffalo Bills Jim Kelly Quarterback Miami (FL)

15 New England Patriots Tony Eason Quarterback Illinois

16 Atlanta Falcons Mike Pitts Defensive End Alabama

17 St. Louis Cardinals Leonard Smith Cornerback McNeese State

18 Chicago Bears Willie Gault Wide Receiver Tennessee

19 Minnesota Vikings Joey Browner Defensive Back USC

20 San Diego Chargers Gary Anderson Running Back Arkansas

21 Pittsburgh Steelers Gabriel Rivera Defensive Tackle Texas Tech

22 San Diego Chargers Gill Byrd Cornerback San Jose State

23 Dallas Cowboys Jim Jeffcoat Defensive End Arizona State

24 New York Jets Ken O'Brien Quarterback UC Davis

25 Cincinnati Bengals Dave Rimington Center Nebraska

26 Los Angeles Raiders Don Mosebar Offensive Line USC

27 Miami Dolphins Dan Marino Quarterback Pittsburgh

28 Washington Redskins Darrell Green Cornerback Texas A&I University

Edited by Randall

1 Baltimore Colts (rights traded to Denver) John Elway Quarterback Stanford

2 Los Angeles Rams Eric Dickerson Running Back Southern Methodist

3 Seattle Seahawks Curt Warner Running Back Penn State

4 Denver Broncos(rights traded to Baltimore) Chris Hinton Guard Northwestern

5 San Diego Chargers Billy Ray Smith Linebacker Arkansas

6 Chicago Bears Jim Covert Offensive Line Pittsburgh

7 Kansas City Chiefs Todd Blackledge Quarterback Penn State

8 Philadelphia Eagles Michael Haddix Running Back Mississippi State

9 Houston Oilers Bruce Matthews Offensive Line USC

10 New York Giants Terry Kinard Defensive Back Clemson

11 Green Bay Packers Tim Lewis Cornerback Pittsburgh

12 Buffalo Bills Tony Hunter Tight End Notre Dame

13 Detroit Lions James Jones Fullback Florida

14 Buffalo Bills Jim Kelly Quarterback Miami (FL)

15 New England Patriots Tony Eason Quarterback Illinois

16 Atlanta Falcons Mike Pitts Defensive End Alabama

17 St. Louis Cardinals Leonard Smith Cornerback McNeese State

18 Chicago Bears Willie Gault Wide Receiver Tennessee

19 Minnesota Vikings Joey Browner Defensive Back USC

20 San Diego Chargers Gary Anderson Running Back Arkansas

21 Pittsburgh Steelers Gabriel Rivera Defensive Tackle Texas Tech

22 San Diego Chargers Gill Byrd Cornerback San Jose State

23 Dallas Cowboys Jim Jeffcoat Defensive End Arizona State

24 New York Jets Ken O'Brien Quarterback UC Davis

25 Cincinnati Bengals Dave Rimington Center Nebraska

26 Los Angeles Raiders Don Mosebar Offensive Line USC

27 Miami Dolphins Dan Marino Quarterback Pittsburgh

28 Washington Redskins Darrell Green Cornerback Texas A&I University

:wacko:

This is also the draft where the Jets took Mike Nugent in the 2nd Round.

Lofa Tatupu might be the best player of the entire draft class for 2005..

Possibly, but Braylon Edwards, Rudd, Gore, Marion Barber, Justin Tuck, Brandon Jacobs and Maurice Claret :wacko: all jump out at me .

Full draft

Edited by Randall

I was just reading that Alex Smith might be cut at the end of training camp if he doesn't win the job and it made me want to look at the top of the 2005 draft...not that it's news, really, but what a disaster:

Where did you read that? Just goes to show that they could care less about the money at this point. They want the QB that will win them games *cough* Shaun Hill *cough*

Where did you read that? Just goes to show that they could care less about the money at this point. They want the QB that will win them games *cough* Shaun Hill *cough*

This was over at fanball:

08/08 49ers: Smith could be on way out of San Francisco

The News

The 49ers QB competition is still open, but if Alex Smith fails to impress and gain the starting job there is a chance the team could even go so far as to cut their former first overall selection, according to Matt Maiocco of the Santa Clara Press Democrat.

Our View

While this is unlikely to happen, the fact that the team has discussed the option shows you just how unimpressed the team has been with his lack of understanding of the new offense and performance on the field. J.T. O'Sullivan actually appears to be in the lead to start for the club right now.

The guaranteed aspect of the money not only has made some dogs rich, it hamstrings franchises and makes them give the guy more than ample opportunity because of the investment, even though someone else on the roster may be better. That sucks.

I found it funny at the end of last season when people were talking about finding ways to keep the games at the end of the season competitive, something that Goodell apparently wants to do (with situations like TEN @ IND knocking CLE out of the playoffs), and the idea of turning the draft into an NBA-style lottery was broached. Teams are already incented to to win as much as they can so they don't have to pay these ridiculous contracts at the top of the draft. From all reports, Miami wanted desperately to trade off of the #1 this year but had zero interest.

Perhaps a bit unfair critique on Caddilac, but, yeah, that's a pretty rough list.

I had a post right around the time of the draft illustrating how, considering the fact that the top 10 players get significantly more money than those picked in the back half of the 1st, that I just might not be worth it to have a pick that high. You can either shell out $30=$50 mil for a guy who's got a decent chance of making it, or you can shell out $6-$10 mil for a guy with a barely worse chance.

It just doesn't seem like money well spent.

Not trying to squablle here, but the #5 overall pick has a career 3.8 YPC and has scored 10 TDs in three seasons. I'd say that's not great.

I found it funny at the end of last season when people were talking about finding ways to keep the games at the end of the season competitive, something that Goodell apparently wants to do (with situations like TEN @ IND knocking CLE out of the playoffs), and the idea of turning the draft into an NBA-style lottery was broached. Teams are already incented to to win as much as they can so they don't have to pay these ridiculous contracts at the top of the draft. From all reports, Miami wanted desperately to trade off of the #1 this year but had zero interest.

That's right. If a GM makes a mistake(and can be gone by the team is damaged) teams can pay for many years.

Many teams also don't want to trade for that pick because trade value is absurd. To move from 4 to 1 costs what? A 2nd and a 3rd?

Again, I tell you, it won't be long before teams just start trading down with no compensation. As in, "I'll give you the 5th overall for the 20th overall straight up". And not much longer before teams realize what's going on and say, "no thanks". Having a top 10 pick quite simply sucks. You have to pay guys about as much as the highest paid players on your team despite the fact that they're the most unproven of the bunch.

If you break it down by position, you're still talking about the top 3-4 players at a given position in the entire college ranks. Is the #1 rated prospect really 5x more likely to be great than the 3rd or 4th? It's simply not the case. And this isn't just about saving money. Since most teams are maxing out their caps anyway, it simply comes down maximizing the product on the field. If you don't have a ton of money tied up in high profile rookies, you're in the drivers seat when it comes to luring free-agents or locking down the players on your own team that do emerge as stars.

If you don't have a ton of money tied up in high profile rookies, you're in the drivers seat when it comes to luring free-agents or locking down the players on your own team that do emerge as stars.

If you don't have a ton of money tied up in high profile rookies, you have been having a low draft spot, which means your team has been winning, which means you're able to lure top free-agent talent, in addition to locking down the players on your team that are helping you win (see New England).

Conversely if you have a lot of money tied up in high profile rookies, you have had high draft picks, which means your team has been losing, which means no free agents want to come play for you except for those who aren't able to sign anywhere else (see Arizona).

It's not the crappy players at the top of the draft as much as it is the people making those selections. The system isn't what needs an overhaul.

Edited by godtomsatan