[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Last year New Orleans Saints offense

Tega

For the life of me, I can't remember why NO struggled last year. What happened to Brees and the rest of NO's offense last year and do you expect the same this year?

McCallister going down was a factor in our not meeting expectations. That said..... the offense wasn't the problem. We started 0-4 because of the defense! We will only be better if our defense can stop the other team from walking down the field uncontested for TD after TD.

McCallister going down was a factor in our not meeting expectations. That said..... the offense wasn't the problem. We started 0-4 because of the defense! We will only be better if our defense can stop the other team from walking down the field uncontested for TD after TD.

This sums up my thoughts too. Plus RBush was not EveryDwnBack and was not utilized properly, (McAllister)

Now they have Shockey to stretch the middle: Colston/Patton/Meacham/Breese/Bush...if Deuce (hek Shokey too) can stay healthy, the OFF should be straight again.. IMO

I think one of the biggest factors as well was the shotty play by the offensive line at the beginning of last year. Brees wasn't taken down a lot, but he was taking a lot of hits & being pressured a lot. Throughout the season as well, but moreso at the start of the year they weren't doing a very good job of run blocking either and so far I'm not real impressed with what I'm seeing from them this year either. I've read that the defensive line has been playing very well and that makes me wonder if they are playing well or the o-line is playing poorly. Of course we're one game into preseason, so we'll see how that pans out.

I think one of the biggest factors as well was the shotty play by the offensive line at the beginning of last year. Brees wasn't taken down a lot, but he was taking a lot of hits & being pressured a lot. Throughout the season as well, but moreso at the start of the year they weren't doing a very good job of run blocking either and so far I'm not real impressed with what I'm seeing from them this year either. I've read that the defensive line has been playing very well and that makes me wonder if they are playing well or the o-line is playing poorly. Of course we're one game into preseason, so we'll see how that pans out.

I agree. The Saint seemed to run a lot of pass plays down field and their O-Line did not give Brees the time he needed and he seemed to rush a lot of passes early in the season.. As the season went on they changed to shorter routes and got Brees to get the ball out faster. Add that to the loss of Deuce and I was not a happy Bres owner early in the season.

I also feel that when McAllister went down that the Saints were missing an important weapon. If that happens again I think Pierre Thomas may be able to fill the hole relatively well. Shockey is also going to make a huge difference.

Thanks for all your answers. Yes, I was a Brees owner too last year. I thought I was in for big time scoring. It turned out differently.

It wasn't that bad. Actually it wasn't bad at all. I realize that Brees started off slowly having way below average games for 3 out of his first 4 starts and only a 13.5 points per game average through week 5. However for the rest of the season he averaged 24.5 pts a game and had a total of 294 points. He also had games of 32.8, 34.95, 31.8, 28.4 and 28. For the last 3/4 of the season Brees was money as just using the stats from week 6 on, I believe he was the 2nd highest scoring QB. So you really can't complain.

Edited by irish

It's kind of like if you had an ace in your sleeve and it dragged the other three down the hole.

Much better than the first botched attempt. :wacko:

I also feel that when McAllister went down that the Saints were missing an important weapon. If that happens again I think Pierre Thomas may be able to fill the hole relatively well. Shockey is also going to make a huge difference.

Honestly I think Stecker fits his role better than Thomas. Thomas worked best when he was the single back. That's not likely to happen this year.

Honestly I think Stecker fits his role better than Thomas. Thomas worked best when he was the single back. That's not likely to happen this year.

You would know better than I would being a big Saints' Homer. However, I've been reading that if McAllister were to get injured again that Thomas would be the guy to step in and take his place and that he has looked solid in camp. Thoughts?

You would know better than I would being a big Saints' Homer. However, I've been reading that if McAllister were to get injured again that Thomas would be the guy to step in and take his place and that he has looked solid in camp. Thoughts?

Have you been reading that at fantasy sites or Saints sites? I haven't been up to date with what's been going on in camp this past week, but everything I've read says that Stecker is looking solid as well. I've also read that Thomas needs to work on his pass protection which is a big deal with Bush taking passing plays in the lineup.

Have you been reading that at fantasy sites or Saints sites? I haven't been up to date with what's been going on in camp this past week, but everything I've read says that Stecker is looking solid as well. I've also read that Thomas needs to work on his pass protection which is a big deal with Bush taking passing plays in the lineup.

I had read it on fantasy sites. It could've been coach speak during camps but when McAllister's knee issues popped up again, it was reported that Thomas was gaining the trust of the coaching staff and that the reason the Saints didn't bring in another veteran to in case McAllister's knee doesn't hold up is because Thomas showed glimpses of brilliance last year both as a runner and receiver. The things I read or heard about him were a couple weeks ago, so again maybe you have a bit more updated info.

It wasn't that bad. Actually it wasn't bad at all. I realize that Brees started off slowly having way below average games for 3 out of his first 4 starts and only a 13.5 points per game average through week 5. However for the rest of the season he averaged 24.5 pts a game and had a total of 294 points. He also had games of 32.8, 34.95, 31.8, 28.4 and 28. For the last 3/4 of the season Brees was money as just using the stats from week 6 on, I believe he was the 2nd highest scoring QB. So you really can't complain.

I agree Irish and the reason I think they struggled so mightly in the first few games, other than Mcallister going down was no second Wideout until David Patten stepped in. Henderson was suppose to be the number two but was dismal which meant Colston got doubled and that left Brees throwing to guys who weren't open or couldnt hang on to the ball.