[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sound Off: Brett Favre

j2v

Sound Off: Brett Favre  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What does Brett Favre, New York Jet, do for you as a fantasy quarterback

• Rejuvenated, he delivers one more year as a QB1
    • I'm excited about him as a QB2 with upside
    • He's my QB2 only because the other choices make me retch
    • I'd rather wring out Peter King's soiled khakis than have Favre on my fantasy team this year

Consider this Son of Fantasy University. Each day we’ll make a post regarding a fantasy-relevant player or situation; then, we’ll turn the mic over to you and hear what you have to say.

Today’s candidate: Jets quarterback Brett Favre

Here’s a story that’s been flying under the radar this offseason: did you know Brett Favre is now a Jet?

Yes, after a summer of exhaustive coverage you may think you know everything there is to know about the man who holds most of the NFL’s career passing records. But now you finally get an answer to those years of wondering just what Jerricho Cotchery and Laveranues Coles could do with a quarterback who could actually throw the ball downfield. It’s a new offense, a different shade of green, and a bigger stage for the inventor of the shovel pass.

So, the offseason of endless hype aside, are you excited about Favre’s fantasy prospects in the Big Apple? Do his new digs offer him a fantasy upgrade over where he was slotted prior to his retirement? Or has No. 4 jumped the fantasy shark?

I think he has alot to prove so he will come out firing. His O-line is good and he has decent weapons.

I put him in top 12 this year which makes him QB #1 in my book.

Yup. Coles and Cotchery are more than serviceable, especially with some steadiness at QB. A host of solid TEs. A good pass-catching back.

No reason to think Favre won't be putting up QB1 stats.

Biggest factor here IMO is whether your league's scoring subtracts for INT's. On a familiar offense Favre throws that ball away a lot. I would imagine that his interceptions could be at an all time high this year learning a new offense and getting the timing down with new receivers. If your league does not subtract points for INT's, then he is probably a QB1.

Biggest factor here IMO is whether your league's scoring subtracts for INT's. On a familiar offense Favre throws that ball away a lot. I would imagine that his interceptions could be at an all time high this year learning a new offense and getting the timing down with new receivers. If your league does not subtract points for INT's, then he is probably a QB1.

Just curious (not just for you) but what would classify as a QB1 for you?

In a 12 person league, top 12

In a 16 person league, top 16

Do you agree?

If do, I cant name 11 QBs that are going to do better than Favre.

Didnt he throw like 29 a couple years ago? It would be damn near impossible to hit that mark again, regardless of the situation. +

Do you agree?

Yes, I agree that in a 12 team league, if he is ranked as a top 12 QB (and I'm not sure he is - but maybe), then you can certainly call him a QB1. Keep in mind though that that is a much different designation than being a Tier 1 QB (which Favre obviously is not). If Favre is a QB1, he is still on the edge of being a Tier 2 / Tier 3 QB overall. Not someone I would reach for. If he were still with the Packers, then I would rank him higher based upon last year's performance... but now there are a lot of question marks to overcome.

Exactly.

I prefer stability. In leagues where INTs are negative points, didn't Farve have a couple of single digit FF games last year? I think one of them was three points? That's unacceptable.

I think he's going to help the JETS a lot, but no way do I want him on my FF team.

Was that the Dallas game where he got hurt?

Do you agree?

According to the Huddle's Rankings, that list is:

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Tony Romo

Big Ben

Matt Hasselbeck

Donovan McNabb

Matt Schaub

Carson Palmer

Jake Delhomme

David Garrard

Marc Bulger

I'm not ready to call Favre a QB1 just yet... There is certainly potential there, but learning a new playbook and getting used to his new WRs, etc. might not be an overnight process. I think people assume that because it's Favre that he'll just step in as if he's played in this offense with these guys for years. Granted, he has more potential than just about any QB out there of being able to step right in and become a QB1 in his first year with a new team, but in his late 30s, one has to wonder whether or not he can do this... Ask me again at the end of the preseason, but at the moment, I wouldn't consider him a QB1.

Edited by MTSuper7

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Tony Romo

Big Ben

Matt Hasselbeck

Donovan McNabb

Matt Schaub

Carson Palmer

Jake Delhomme

David Garrard

Marc Bulger

I'm not ready to call Favre a QB1 just yet... There is certainly potential there, but learning a new playbook and getting used to his new WRs, etc. might not be an overnight process. I think people assume that because it's Favre that he'll just step in as if he's played in this offense with these guys for years. Granted, he has more potential than just about any QB out there of being able to step right in and become a QB1 in his first year with a new team, but in his late 30s, one has to wonder whether or not he can do this... Ask me again at the end of the preseason, but at the moment, I wouldn't consider him a QB1.

I have Favre slightly ahead of Bulger, even with Rivers and slightly behind Eli and Garrard. He's sitting at #14 for me right now but could certainly see the case being made for him as a low end #1 and possible Top 10.

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Tony Romo

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Derek Anderson

Carson Palmer

Matt Hasselbeck

Jay Cutler

Donovan McNabb

Jake Delhomme

David Garrard

Eli Manning

Brett Favre

Philip Rivers

Marc Bulger

Edited by irish

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Tony Romo

Big Ben

Matt Hasselbeck

Donovan McNabb

Matt Schaub

Carson Palmer

Jake Delhomme

David Garrard

Marc Bulger

:wacko:

I rarely avoid a guy for reasons other than expected production, but he's such a butthole I'd rather have Byron Leftwich as my QB.

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Tony Romo

Big Ben

Matt Hasselbeck

Donovan McNabb

Matt Schaub

Carson Palmer

Jake Delhomme

David Garrard

Marc Bulger

I have Favre ahead of Delhomme and Garrard.

Delhomme is another QB who can have a hugh impact but alot of unknowns...plus SS suspension doesnt help his case.

I have Favre ahead of Delhomme and Garrard.

Delhomme is another QB who can have a hugh impact but alot of unknowns...plus SS suspension doesnt help his case.

Agree here... plus, add to it that Delhomme had a major injury that necessitated major surgery. Yes, I know, he's shown that he's "back", but still....

I believe Favre will be a serviceable #2 QB. His receivers are decent, Bubba Franks is his TD buddy, and new rookie TE should help as well.

However, the BIGGEST fantasy winner on the Jets this year will be Thomas Jones who will benefit the most from Favre's presence

I believe Favre will be a serviceable #2 QB. His receivers are decent, Bubba Franks is his TD buddy, and new rookie TE should help as well.

However, the BIGGEST fantasy winner on the Jets this year will be Thomas Jones who will benefit the most from Favre's presence

I agree. The Jets have an easy schedule this year and could win 10 games. His receivers ate RAC guys similar to those in Green Bay. By week 6 he could be a #1 QB.

... a bigger stage for the inventor of the shovel pass.

Favre invented the shovel pass? This is news to me.

Favre as a QB1? I'd rank him just outside the top 10...solid upside. New system, new teammates, and he missed ALL OTAs.

My best case scenario for him is probably he struggles early as he plays himself into shape and his WRs (and coaches) get on the same page with him. Not to mention the Jets have SD and NE in their first 3 weeks.

Then the schedule softens a bit; Favre may come on in time to be valuable down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Favre invented the shovel pass? This is news to me.

Favre as a QB1? I'd rank him just outside the top 10...solid upside. New system, new teammates, and he missed ALL OTAs.

My best case scenario for him is probably he struggles early as he plays himself into shape and his WRs (and coaches) get on the same page with him. Not to mention the Jets have SD and NE in their first 3 weeks.

Then the schedule softens a bit; Favre may come on in time to be valuable down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I think Chavez has a pretty good assessment here which is why I would take Favre as my backup if he was there late. If he plays well, I have a great backup, trade bait, etc. If he falls flat, he was just my backup and I am sure there are a few guys not on anyone's radar right now that will be getting some clock as starting QBs and I'd wager at least one (a la Derek Anderson last year) will be someone we'll want to have...

I am guessing someone will take him as a starter in the drafts I am a part of and that means I am not likely to have him on a team this year.