[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Grant...should I be concerned?

quiveringnorm

I am staying away from Gore because of what Spartan fan had to say. If Gore is infact the entire offense, he will get injured mid way through the year. Lets not forget that going into his Freshman year Gore was going to be the starter ahead of players like Portis and he destroyed his knee 2 times(maybe three). Add injury prone to the list of negatives in front of Gore.

I bump Gore down for the same reasons I do LJ and Mike Turner. He is going to get the ball, but is there anything around him to help him out? He is going to catch some balls, but not enough to justify being picked in the first.

Also, Kevin Jones was not garbage. The dude was a solid all around back.

Edited by dirtdickens

The coaching staff is going to get the ball in Gore's hands a lot. Jones had a good year because Martz made an effort to get Jones involved in the passing game. I don't care for the niners players surrounding him, and I'm not sure if any qb on their roster can execute the offense, but they'll be able to throw it a few yards out to Gore in the flat.

And yes, I think Martz in SF is a horrible hire. I just think he's great for Gore, especially in PPR leagues.

We're getting closer to seeing eye to eye on this. Assuming that no level of incompetence offensively will impede Gore from getting at least 6-8 catches a game and 75+ total yards, with the occasional TD, he'll produce pretty well (as long as he stays healthy). Back to the original subject - you do have to be concerned a little that Ryan Grant has only proven to play well for about 11 games last year (give or take), and with no Favre, what impact might that have? But I don't think you need to worry about Brandon Jackson unless Grant completely chokes, which I think is pretty unlikely to happen.

Martz will let his owners down again to prove he's a genius.

Look at Jones last year.

Week 14 25 targets(92 yards 2 TD's 1 reception)

Week 15 8 targets(5 rushes 16 yards)

Week 16 9 targets(8 rushes 15 yards)

The real problem with guys like Grant and Gore is that they make owners nervous as RB1's. Unfortunately, the RB pool is thin after the top 5. Guys drafting in the 6 spot and beyond will have to take some risks. Picking between LT, AP, S Jax, Westbrook and Addai is easy. After that is the tricky part......

Martz will let his owners down again to prove he's a genius.

Look at Jones last year.

Week 14 25 targets(92 yards 2 TD's 1 reception)

Week 15 8 targets(5 rushes 16 yards)

Week 16 9 targets(8 rushes 15 yards)

We're talking about 06... Martz lost confidence in him after the foot injury.

The real problem with guys like Grant and Gore is that they make owners nervous as RB1's. Unfortunately, the RB pool is thin after the top 5. Guys drafting in the 6 spot and beyond will have to take some risks. Picking between LT, AP, S Jax, Westbrook and Addai is easy. After that is the tricky part......

exactly....but there are some good potential Tier 2/3 RB's IMO...and yes, they are now in the 2nd/3rd Tier...

Willie Parker

Thomas Jones

Maurice Jones-Drew

these guys are worth taking along with Grant, Lynch, Portis and Barber...even though I don't like Lynch...the rest should be productive...

We're talking about 06... Martz lost confidence in him after the foot injury.

He put up almost 100 yards and 2 touchdowns game 14. The next 2 games he only had 8 and 9 touches. Explain that one. :wacko: Martz.

Also, Kevin Jones was not garbage. The dude was a solid all around back.

Outside of 6-8 games his rookie season has hasn't had any wow factor to him. His production in 06 stemmed from constantly getting opportunity after opportunity. And I do view Jones as garbage when compared to Gore. Gore is a lot harder to bring down than Jones ever was at this level.

And as far as his injuries while at Miami... They were awful, but I view them as chance injuries. He's stayed healthy since he's been in the league, and if he's not running nearly as much as he has in the past, but making up for it by making an impact in the passing game I think that increases his odds of staying healthy.

exactly....but there are some good potential Tier 2/3 RB's IMO...and yes, they are now in the 2nd/3rd Tier...

Willie Parker

Thomas Jones

Maurice Jones-Drew

these guys are worth taking along with Grant, Lynch, Portis and Barber...even though I don't like Lynch...the rest should be productive...

Agreed but I'm not even too crazy about Portis. I don't really understand why he's getting so much love. He seems to always be nicked up and the Skins offense stalls a lot. I see him getting 1600 total yards and 8-10 TD's. Nothing to sneeze at but not top notch either. Where the heck are all the RB1's this year????

Agreed but I'm not even too crazy about Portis. I don't really understand why he's getting so much love. He seems to always be nicked up and the Skins offense stalls a lot. I see him getting 1600 total yards and 8-10 TD's. Nothing to sneeze at but not top notch either. Where the heck are all the RB1's this year????

I don't have any interest in taking Portis...but I still rank him up there because that's probably where he'll finish somehow....

Dude, 1600 total yards and 8-10 TDs is pretty freakin' good, and I'd argue that it's as top notch as you're gonna get outside of the uber-stud type numbers that an LT can produce. I don't think most Portis owners would expect more, and those kinds of numbers would justify drafting him in the top 8 IMO.

Had Portis last year and was happy with him(3.09), but he was a bit irratating aswell. Disappeared for long stretches and didn't really score enough to be a top back. I know he finished pretty high last season, but remember last season was a bad year for backs and that kind of season again this year will not warrant being a top 7 pick. I just dont see how changing from an offense where he got the ball a ton to a WCO will improve his numbers. Spare me the PPR, most of these WCO backs dont catch crap anymore.

Someone remind me exactly what Mr. Jackson did when he was given the opportunity to start? That is right he made it possible for Mr. Grant to start and perform behind a very good Packer OL. Do I really need to say more?

Well, Jackson left college after his junior year and didn't really pick up the offense in his first season (mainly blocking). I don’t consider a rookie struggling in his first few games before getting hurt a death sentence for the guy’s career. Yes, RBs do tend to make an impact quicker than other positions but that doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions. I've always questioned his ability to learn a system as it seems to take him awhile to get it. Jackson wasn’t even the starter at the beginning of his last season at Nebraska (if I remember correctly, he was ranked 4th on the depth chart of Callahan’s pro like offense). Most people thought it was a stretch that GB took him so early. I’m not really down on Grant this year, although I do wish they would have gotten the contract deal done earlier. I just think Jackson does have some ability and should take some carries this year (how much will depend on if Grant is the real deal). If Grant is as good as he looked the 2nd half of last season than I think he makes a great #2RB with upside to be a #1RB. I’m just trying to point out that it is possible that this grows to more of a RBBC than people expect as I believe Jackson has some talent that will get him on the field more if the offense struggles early. But, hey…this is all speculation and GB is definitely a bit of an enigma this year.

+2 on both. I just can't rationalize taking Grant or Graham over some more sure players at their respective draft slots.

And those would be? I mean, surely you're not referring to all the guys who already going ahead of him in drafts. Do you mean the injured Willis? The old J Lew or T Jones? MJD who goes off one week and disappears the next? LJ who plays in an anemic O? I'm trying hard to find this batch of "more sure" players you speak of unless you're talking top tier WRs, which I can totally understand passing him up for.

In general, the only thing I can find wrong with Grant is the usual, "has he done it for a whole year" deal. Well, that's why he's not top 10.

Thing is, I don't think A Rodgers is going to flop so I don't think the GB offense is going down the tubes. To be completely honest, I think that Grant will actually do better this year than last.

I have not been in a position where I've had a 2nd round pick before #15, but am completely comfortable taking him there over all the other RBs there. I could be tempted to pass him up for the right WR or maybe Manning (or Brady but that ain't happening), but that's about it.

Because he finished as the no.4 runningback in a lot of leagues last year? Because his line is healthy this year? Because he's a stud back?

If you take those facts away, then I totally agree with you. :wacko:

Thing is, I don't think A Rodgers is going to flop so I don't think the GB offense is going down the tubes. To be completely honest, I think that Grant will actually do better this year than last.

my biggest concern with Grant related to Rodgers at QB would be Rodgers staying healthy. he's seen very lmited action under center with GB and he's been injured twice. if Rodgers goes down it'll get ugly for Grant.

Rebdog- if rodgers went down Grant would at least be a better option than the Mike Turners of the draft who have nothing around them. GB's line is pretty darn good, that is more than I can say for some other options. Look what Chester Taylor was able to do in that division running behind a solid line.

+more carries.

Edited by dirtdickens