[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine geeks Gridiron Challenge

detlef

So, looking for another league, I started a Wine Geeks league this year with some locals plus a few old friends from the industry, etc.

Man, I'm pissed I didn't think of it sooner!

I put the stakes at $50 plus a good bottle of juice. Something preferably not current vintage, def. interesting, but mostly just plain baller.

10 guys signed up. The winner gets his choice of 7 of the bottles plus 250, the runner up gets 2 bottles plus 120, and 3rd gets the last bottle plus his entry fee.

I'll post the 10 bottles once everyone votes but let's just say that everyone realizes their reputation is at stake and are offering up accordingly.

So, looking for another league, I started a Wine Geeks league this year with some locals plus a few old friends from the industry, etc.

Man, I'm pissed I didn't think of it sooner!

I put the stakes at $50 plus a good bottle of juice. Something preferably not current vintage, def. interesting, but mostly just plain baller.

10 guys signed up. The winner gets his choice of 7 of the bottles plus 250, the runner up gets 2 bottles plus 120, and 3rd gets the last bottle plus his entry fee.

I'll post the 10 bottles once everyone votes but let's just say that everyone realizes their reputation is at stake and are offering up accordingly.

Very Cool. We do something very similar for a monthly poker game. We've got a few winemakers in the bunch who tend to pull some great library wines and we get a pretty good mix from everywhere else. Just did a game last Saturday...drank some great syrahs while losing my money and my bottle.

Wine Geeks FF league?

Sounds good. Are you putting up all the bottles or is everyone pitching a bottle in?

The bottle is part of the entry fee.

Nothing's official because guys are still just throwing out ideas, but here's what it's looking like:

93 Liparita Cab Sauv

01 Dunn Howeel Mtn Cab

2004 Domaine de Belliviere, Jasniéres, 'elixir de tuf' 500ml

2000 Bricco Rocche Barolo Rapo 2000

1998 Kracher #5 Muskat Ottonel TBA (375)

2004 Nicolas Joly Coulee Serant

2005 Eric Texier Cote Rotie Vielles Vignes

00 Chateau La Casenove "Cuvee Cdt. Francoise Jaubert" Roussillon

Maltroye Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot Vignes Blanches" 2005.

Only guy not to declare is my friend Chris from Sparkman Cellars. Mind you, he's been the wine buyer for El Gaucho and Pier 70 on the Waterfront for the last 5 or so years, so I'm guessing he's come across some cool stuff.

I may be a dunce... I mean, just look at my user-name. :D

But ummmmmmmmmm........ :wacko: Anyone that puts wine and football together is either a Forty-Whiner fan, a ghey (not that there's anything wrong with that) or just a toolbag.

OK, you're a dunce. Carry on.

• 3 months later...

OK, so I'm in the finals this week. That means I either get 6 or 3 of the following wines. We decided to get together at someone's place for a game during the real NFL playoffs and stage the wine draft among the winners. 1st place- 6 bottles, 2nd place- 3 bottles, 3rd place- 1 bottle.

Initially I was going to let the 1st place guy grab his 6 and so on but thought it would be more fair to let him get first crack, then 2nd place, then 3rd place, and then repeat with 1st and 2nd for the next 4 wines and then 1st place just gets the rest. If it's me, I'll likely fire one of them open for the group.

Trying to figure out what my first pick will be. Here's the unofficial list based on pre-season banter.

93 Liparita Cab Sauv

01 Dunn Howeel Mtn Cab

2004 Domaine de Belliviere, Jasniéres, 'elixir de tuf' 500ml

2004 Nicolas Joly Coulee Serant

2005 Eric Texier Cote Rotie Vielles Vignes

2005 Maltroye Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot Vignes Blanches"

Wine TBA

OK, so I'm in the finals this week. That means I either get 6 or 3 of the following wines. We decided to get together at someone's place for a game during the real NFL playoffs and stage the wine draft among the winners. 1st place- 6 bottles, 2nd place- 3 bottles, 3rd place- 1 bottle.

Initially I was going to let the 1st place guy grab his 6 and so on but thought it would be more fair to let him get first crack, then 2nd place, then 3rd place, and then repeat with 1st and 2nd for the next 4 wines and then 1st place just gets the rest. If it's me, I'll likely fire one of them open for the group.

Trying to figure out what my first pick will be. Here's the unofficial list based on pre-season banter.

93 Liparita Cab Sauv - probably #1 but I'd drink it soon, very soon.

01 Dunn Howeel Mtn Cab #3

2004 Domaine de Belliviere, Jasniéres, 'elixir de tuf' 500ml #4

2004 Nicolas Joly Coulee Serant #2

2005 Eric Texier Cote Rotie Vielles Vignes #6

2005 Maltroye Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot Vignes Blanches" #5

Wine TBA

Bolded are my choices

Edited by twiley

Bolded are my choices

If the Liparita is in good shape, I'll likely go that way with my first pick. Just because I'm light on ready to go juice right now. After that it would be either the Joly or the Dunn. The Maltroye is freaking nice but I already bought some from the guy who's offering that one up and even have it on my list at the restaurant. Not that interested in the stickies. I've got plenty and my wife hates dessert wines so I don't end up opening them up very often.

I wouldn't mind taking back the Barolo Rapo (that was my entry into the mix). I've had one so far and it was pretty damned stellar.

Just hoping I can get one more good week out of my boys so I'm getting 6 instead of 3. I've had a great run all season and it would be a shame to come up a week short.

Think we have enough interest to start a BoTH league next year with a similar format? :wacko:

I'd definitely be up for that one ... like I need another league. :D

But hey, why not. :D

I was actually thinking the same thing.

Guessing we can at least 10 together...