[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Poll: Do you use a fantasy draft board at your live draft?

Big Country

Draft Board  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a draft board at your live draft?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not, but possibly would

Basically curious how many people purchase a draft board to use at their live drafts.

If you do use one, or would consider using one, what are the features you look for.

And, if you do use one/would use one, what is the price range you are willing to pay for what you get?

Thanks

Basically curious how many people purchase a draft board to use at their live drafts.

If you do use one, or would consider using one, what are the features you look for.

And, if you do use one/would use one, what is the price range you are willing to pay for what you get?

Thanks

Both leagues I play in use the draft board we get free with Sportsline. I personally track all picks in a notebook but some other owners do not and I think having the board helps eliminate the amount of "He's already taken, slapnuts!" we have to go through. It also helps as some of the guys write about as legibly as a child so using the stickers helps with that. Plus, the color coding they do for the stickers (ie QB = blue) makes it easy to quickly scan the board and get a read on where other teams are sitting positionally at any point in the draft.

I find them helpful and would chip in a few bucks toward one if we didnt already get it free from Sportsline. I could probably make one myself and still have color coded labels, etc so I wouldnt pay much for one but I am a proponent of using them whether free, cheap, or home made.

Edited by Delicious_bass

I assume you're talking about a large board that everyone can see. If that's the case, no. We always make a grid, of course, but it's just on a normal size piece of paper.

This year, both my drafts will be done on-line since there's guys all over the place. In both cases, most of the guys get together at one spot and the rest are remote. With this in mind, it's just easier to do it on-line. All the guys who are at one place just use a computer that is set to commish mode to make their picks and the others just stay logged in as their team.

Obviously this 100% eliminates dudes taking players who are already taken because it is impossible to do so.

I aggree with hook and Big E.. this will be the first year we use a draft Board from sportsline and im pissed..

i always kept track for myself,

so what im going to suggest for this year is that one of the lazy guys that never cared before should keep the Board updated.

I think that it's a great idea. With the color coding, you call tell at a glance the positions that each team has selected. Plus it adds a little theatrics - kinda like Vanna White turning a letter. It also leads to a decent post-mortem as everyone can "rate" the teams easily.

As mentioned above, it may eliminate an advantage that you have if not everyone in your league would track the draft without the board.

I don't know anything about the price of those things. I probably wouldn't throw in more than a couple of bucks for it.

Edited by Furd

We used 1 once but nobody wanted to be in charge of it so we stopped.

In ours, each owner (unless they are drafting remotely) is in charge of walking up and putting their pick on the board.

I think that it's a great idea. With the color coding, you call tell at a glance the positions that each team has selected. Plus it adds a little theatrics - kinda like Vanna White turning a letter. It also leads to a decent post-mortem as everyone can "rate" the teams easily.

As mentioned above, it may eliminate an advantage that you have if not everyone in your league would track the draft without the board.

I don't know anything about the price of those things. I probably wouldn't throw in more than a couple of bucks for it.

It does add a little theatrics/fun as you watch to see which color an owner is going for and then who the actual player is when they put their sticker up.

And I agree that it can benefit those owners who dont normally pay as close of attention to what everyone else is doing. Its a price I am willing to pay, though, to have the draft run more smoothly and have less "Hey, is ________ still available?" Plus, I've found the guys who dont normally track the other teams dont pay close enough attention to the draft board, either, so it doesnt help them draft that much better (usually) but it does eliminate some of the nonsense. My $0.02

Since we charge $5.00 (goes to 1st weeks pot) for mistakes it would be counterproductive to have a board that let's people see who has been drafted. Not only that, it would take forever for those people to read the dang board since they never keep their cheatsheets up to snuff anyway.

If you can't pay attention and keep up the free kiddie leagues are down the street.

Since we charge $5.00 (goes to 1st weeks pot) for mistakes it would be counterproductive to have a board that let's people see who has been drafted. Not only that, it would take forever for those people to read the dang board since they never keep their cheatsheets up to snuff anyway.

If you can't pay attention and keep up the free kiddie leagues are down the street.

I agree. No draft board here.

We use a draft board that costs about a buck plus 15 minutes of the commissioner's time - just some poster board made into a grid.

Most of the owners in the leagues where we did that are pretty on top of things; plus we don't use stickers so the writing in involves shenanigans (the league I commish has never had "Grammatica, K" listed on the board. It HAS had a "Rat Boy, K" drafted quite a few times, however; or the occasional "(owner)'s Gay Lover, QB" has somehow made it onto the board. I think Muhsin Muhammad and Az-Zahir Hakim were listed as "terrorists" a time or two), which can be fun.

And after the draft, there's usually a gathering around the board to see who got the best steal, had the best draft, etc. Plus we hang onto them, so it's always fun to see that somebody thought Cecil Collins was the best rookie RB out there in one year or something like that.

We used 1 once but nobody wanted to be in charge of it so we stopped.

In college we used them but we always were able to ge a young coed to manage it for us. It also helped that they were usually not the most intelligent and would believe us that an article of clothing had to be removed every other round.

Thaks for the input guys.

In my local league, we use a spreadsheet, displayed on the wall using a projector (borrowed from one of the sales guys in the office) hooked up to the PC ... works fine, especially if you get someone not actually drafting a team to update the spreadsheet in the computer as the draft picks are made.

I made ours out of white board and made a grid using permannet markers. I've been to one draft without a draft board and it was an abortion. Our league likes to come look at the board after the draft and ponder it. They are a thing of beauty if done correctly. We keep it in the coaches office at school and keep it updated throughout the year from WW/FA and trades. Many an hour has been spent gazing at that 4'x8' board planning out future moves.

Edited by The Holy Roller

We do the projector using an excel spreadsheet. Because we do an auction, the spreadsheet tracks the remaining balances of all players as well. As well as it being a disadvantage, I disagree - unless the other people are not using a cheat sheet. I can't imagine who would draft without a cheat sheet.