[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Morgan

Timmypg

He was just picked in the IBL last night and it wasn't even the last round. It's a pick I wouldn't have made but who knows if it turns out or not. This pick was made because of Martz liking to get three or four receivers involved. But it's still the same old 49'ers to me.

I don't know maybe because Alex Smith is his QB? :wacko:

The Packers were totally outmanned bySF last night :D And Morgan played a big part.

And JT O'Sullivan may be their starting QB by the time regular season starts.

Morgan has looked good playing in preseason games but far as I gather all he is doing is just making the team, not making himself a starter. Most of these games in week 1 and 2 do not even have the starting WR playing much if at all. They are only trying to decide who might make the 53 man roster in a couple of weeks.

Morgan has looked good playing in preseason games but far as I know all he is doing is just making the team, not making himself a starter.

I've read that Ashlie Lelie is about to pack his bags. Where does that put Morgan?

Johnson

Bruce

Battle

Hill

Then Morgan?

at Most I can see this guy as someone to stash in deep dynasty leagues

Basically...

1) Morgan came in and worked his tail off to learn the offense. No holdout, no injuries so far, nothing to derail him.

2) The Niner's WR coach (Sullivan) is a pretty good position coach and has been pushing Morgan through all of camp.

3) Three of the guys above him have been hurt or held out of practice (Johnson, Battle, and Bruce), so Morgan has been practicing with the first team through most of camp. Johnson and Battle have been dinged up, so Morgan has started both preseason games.

4) Not a day goes by without seeing a story in one of the local papers about how Morgan made some ridiculous one-handed, leaping catch that impressed all the coaches. He's also been reported as pretty 'clutch' in their two-minute drills. I realize this is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

5) Even outsiders who come and see the Niners camp come away talking about the kid:

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?camp...9000d5d80a05c36 (points 2 and 5 specifically)

I couldn't find more links, but I've been hearing a lot about him during camp. I didn't really think he'd make it to the top three on the depth chart because of Bruce (experience), Johnson (contract), Battle (incumbant). However, if he keeps lighting it up against first team defenses in the preseason, and Johnson and Battle can't get healthy enough to practice/play, Morgan may end up in the top 3 on the depth chart.

One other note: Currently, I don't expect the Niners to use a lot of 4 WR sets this season. Martz has commented multiple times they want to use 3 WR or 2 TE sets this year (the coaches seem to really like both Davis and Walker at TE).

I don't think he's that huge a reach as a WR4 at this point, given it's not out of the realm of possibility he ends up one of the starting 3 (or maybe 2) WRs on the team. Sure, it's a gamble, but he's put up 182 yards with 1 TD on 9 catches in roughly 2 halves of work in the preseason (against primarily first team defenses, and against a couple of pretty decent secodaries).

I've read that Ashlie Lelie is about to pack his bags. Where does that put Morgan?

Johnson

Bruce

Battle

Hill

Then Morgan?

at Most I can see this guy as someone to stash in deep dynasty leagues

This would be about right. If Morgan keeps it up he could overtake Hill as the #4 if he hasn't already, I think Lelie is on his way out. Niners fans have been gushing over this kid and he has had a pretty impressive preseason but lately they will gush over anything that looks a little better than mediocre, you should see what some people are saying about this O'Sullivan kid after he throws one deep ball last night. O'Sullivan is looking like the guy to start but I am not buying that he will actually get it done come the regular season and expect to see another revolving door at QB this year and another mess to go with it.

The one thing I will say is that Martz scheme always likes to use 4 WR, so that makes Morgan of more potential interest than on most other teams that only use 2 or 3 WR.

Not that it's a big deal, but rumor has it on all of the homer sites that Morgan is pushing for a starting spot, at worst the third WR. With Bruce being 60 and B. Johnsons hamstrings being made of Christmas tree tensil, Morgan could be a starter. Too bad he can't play QB, that would be a big deal for San Fran.

Not to hijack the thread but being from Detroit there was a lot of talk last year about O'Sullivan. Seems most people thought he should start towards the end of the season, possibly just to evaluate him. Would've been a good eval, he got raves in practice then too but its Detroit, nature doesn't allow us to do the smart things.

Holds Div II QB record for TDs in a playoff game(6) and took his NFL Europe team to the world bowl, FWIW.

The one thing I will say is that Martz scheme always likes to use 4 WR, so that makes Morgan of more potential interest than on most other teams that only use 2 or 3 WR.

So are we to believe that when they go 4 wr sets that Vernon Davis will actually come off the field? I just don't see that happening.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that a 6th round pick would holdout... just using as part of a list for example purposes of reasons why people don't get in and get learning. He's busted his tail, but more importantly, he's gotten opportunities and he's made the most of them. I know there's a lot of reasons to be down on the SF offense, and right now the line is the biggest issue (whoever starts at QB likely won't last the season if there's not MAJOR improvement).

For receiving, you have to look at someone like Johnson who, from all accounts, is a great athlete but not necessarily a great football player, who isn't getting reps in a relatively complicated offense that REQUIRES the QB and WRs to be on the same page. He might do okay, but he's running out of practice reps to build any sort of continuity. Hill's a second year man, and while probably the fastest WR of the bunch, isn't as polished a receiver. Battle has a good nose for the ball, but isn't exceptional in any category I can think of. Meanwhile Morgan is plenty fast, seems to have a knack for coming down with the ball if it's thrown his way, has been building a rapport with Sullivan by taking almost all the first team reps, and is currently starting and doing a pretty darn good job.

There is a chance he could start the season opposite Bruce. The offense will be better than it was last year (hard not to be!). So far, he's been the best WR the Niners have shown. The potential is there for him to be worth something-- quite possibly *the* receiver to own on the Niners. At the same time the O-line is shakey, the QB situation is shakey (especially after a couple of them get killed), and he IS a rookie. I think this combination of factors is reasonable for a 4th WR flyer towards the end of a draft.

He's no Marquis Colston, but he's no Mike Williams. Or, for Martz offense comparisons assume his current reasonable top-end expectation would be below rookie Torry Holt numbers (788 yards, 6TDs) or Calvin Johnson numbers (750 yards, 4 TDs) if he actually holds a starting position. Again, not terrible for a WR4, but not someone you want to be reaching for unless you're in a keeper league or something.

I watched the stream of the game yesterday and they had a chat room open next to the stream... It was full of niners fans and they were all gushing over Morgan saying that he was the next TO...

What are his measurables - height/weight?

40 times?

Just curious.

I think he ends up as a starter. Like some others have said, the competition in SF isnt exactly going to set the world on fire. Bruce was mainly brought in because he is familiar with the system, but hes getting up in age. Bryant Johnson is a career #3, who has yet to prove anything. JAson Hill has done what exactly to be given the #3 spot? Morgan has all the talent, but suffered from a inconsistant QB situation and other WRs getting the ball in college (Eddie Royal and Justin Harper were also drafted).

Not saying he will be the next great thing, but then again look at Marques Colston.

Top 3 WR's at this time last year.

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM

1 Lance Moore NO WR 21 255 12.1 51.0 37 0 3 0 15 71.4 0

2 Troy Walters DET WR 16 169 10.6 42.2 23 1 1 0 11 68.8 0

3 Paris Warren TB WR 15 191 12.7 47.8 51 4 2 1 12 80.0 0

Top 3 WR's at this time last year.

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM

1 Lance Moore NO WR 21 255 12.1 51.0 37 0 3 0 15 71.4 0

2 Troy Walters DET WR 16 169 10.6 42.2 23 1 1 0 11 68.8 0

3 Paris Warren TB WR 15 191 12.7 47.8 51 4 2 1 12 80.0 0

key difference: They got those stats in garbage time against 2nd and 3rd string defenses. Morgan has been starting and playing with the first team all preseason. He also has been praised repeatedly in camp.

I think he starts game one as either the 2nd or 3rd receiver for the Niners and puts up a 1,000 yard season.

It won't look pretty, but JTO will be throwing deep a lot this year, and Morgan has as good a chance as any to catch them.

In a Mike Martz offense, 3 to 4 WR's will get decent playing time. If Morgan keeps working as hard as he has been, he will get his numbers this year.

key difference: They got those stats in garbage time against 2nd and 3rd string defenses. Morgan has been starting and playing with the first team all preseason. He also has been praised repeatedly in camp.

I think he starts game one as either the 2nd or 3rd receiver for the Niners and puts up a 1,000 yard season.

It won't look pretty, but JTO will be throwing deep a lot this year, and Morgan has as good a chance as any to catch them.

In a Mike Martz offense, 3 to 4 WR's will get decent playing time. If Morgan keeps working as hard as he has been, he will get his numbers this year.

1000 yards? We'll see. Every year there are a lot more Lance Moore's than Colston's. I'm not saying he won't. He looks good but Jacoby Jones looked great last year too.