[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sound Off: Suspended WRs

j2v

Sound Off: Suspended WRs  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you comfortable selecting Steve Smith?

• Still a second-rounder
    • His two-game absence knocks him down to a third-rounder
    • I won't bite until Round 4, even if he'll be gone by then
    • I'm not touching the Carolina De La Hoya this year
  2. 2. Where are you comfortable selecting Brandon Marshall?

• Love him despite the troubles; I'll take him in Round 2
    • Need to be aggressive and take him in Round 3
    • I'd be thrilled if he fell to me in Round 4
    • If he's there in Round 5 I'm ready to take a shot
    • Too much glass in my fantasy team's locker room for me to risk adding him to the team

Today’s candidate: Panthers flyweight champion Steve Smith and Broncos problem child Brandon Marshall

For the bulk of the preseason, Carolina wideout Steve Smith was a solid second-round option and Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall wasn’t too far behind, one of the faster rising pass-catchers on the board.

Then Smith went Tyler Durden on teammate Ken Lucas' face and Marshall’s bulging file of off-the-field incidents drew the ire of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Now both wideouts will spend the season’s first fortnight in street clothes—missing 12 percent of the fantasy campaign before it even starts.

So, how are you treating these troublemakers? What’s your backup plan for Weeks 1 and 2 if you do land one (or both) of these receivers on your fantasy squad? Where do you feel comfortable selecting them knowing they’re out until Week 3?

Edited by j2v

Doesn't Brandon Marshall have a hearing in September regarding a DUI arrest? So there's a risk that the NFL could suspend him again depending on the outcome of that hearing, correct?

Having said that, I'm positive someone else in my leagues will take Brandon Marshall before I would, given the risk. Steve Smith, however, is a good bargain in the 3rd round, which is where he is falling in a lot of drafts.

As others have noted, I'm much more secure with Smith than I would be with Marshall. I just don't like Marshall (or Cutler) this year at all. I could be totally wrong, but I think both are going to struggle. I wouldn't touch either.

As for Smith, he's going to be back with a vengeance I think. Cover yourself for the first couple of weeks (Moose?) and reap the benefits. He'll still end up as a top-10 (or better?) WR.

I absolutely am going after Marshall in all my drafts, just love the potential. I am going for risk/reward with him. i think he's going to come out on fire after the suspension. I think his other legal troubles will be put off until after the season (Ihave no basis for this assumption, hoping).

As others have noted, I'm much more secure with Smith than I would be with Marshall. I just don't like Marshall (or Cutler) this year at all. I could be totally wrong, but I think both are going to struggle. I wouldn't touch either.

As for Smith, he's going to be back with a vengeance I think. Cover yourself for the first couple of weeks (Moose?) and reap the benefits. He'll still end up as a top-10 (or better?) WR.

This is the first I've heard anyone with this opinion... Cutler seems to have been progressing well, and now that he's been diagnosed with Diabetes, one would think he should improve over last year. Plus, Cutler has looked razor sharp in the preseason. Not sure what evidence this is coming from or if this is just a hunch... I'd have to say that it seems unlikely they'll struggle this year though based on what I've seen out of camp.

I drafted Marshall this year and I don't have a problem with him. I have more of an issue with his head than his injuries at this point. I don't think that last year was a fluke. I think that Cutler will come through this year. I got him on the same team as Marshall so hopefully that won't be a jinx to either one.

As for Steve Smith, I'm sure that he will be taken off the board before I would consider him. I'd rather have a solid 2nd RB than have him.

Edited by MikesVikes

I absolutely am going after Marshall in all my drafts, just love the potential. I am going for risk/reward with him. i think he's going to come out on fire after the suspension. I think his other legal troubles will be put off until after the season (Ihave no basis for this assumption, hoping).

I own him in a dynasty and picked him up at 4.04 in Ladder All Pro. Bid heavily for him in my other leagues as well. Marshall is a game breaker and well worth the risk after the third round. I would not want BOTH Marshall and Smitty, however, as that would be too much risk for my taste, but one or the other is certainly acceptable.

Here's my problem with Cutler/Marshall, although this is probably best suited for its own thread. Anyways... the passing EOS for the Broncos is one of the worst in the NFL. 7 "bad" passing matchups, and one of their four "good" matchups comes in Week 3 against New Orleans, with Marshall likely still on the sidelines. And one of the "bad" matchups comes right off the bat: Week 1 against the Raiders. So that means only 3 "good" matchups for Cutler/Marshall and SIX "bad" ones the rest of the way out. Not a situation I'd be amped over.

The diabetes thing with Cutler is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's a good thing that they caught it and are dealing with it. But it's a bad thing since it is... diabetes. It's somewhat of an unknown factor, IMO. We'll see how it plays out.

Another few key issues: first, I don't think they have a solid WR2 option. Eddie Royal is a nice story, but he's a nice story 'cuz no one else stepped up. Brandon Stokley is a slot WR and a slot WR only. Another thing, I think the RB carousel will happen again. I don't see Selvin Young taking 75% of the carries.

All in all, it's just a situation I'm avoiding based partially on hunch, but also some past occurences. Just felt like I had to get that all out. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

I'll just say although your breakdown of the EOS is nice and all I just disagree and think he's just money. Pairing him with Fitz in just about every league so far makes a nice two #1 WR's on my teams (not named TO and AJ or another top WR) and allows me to load up on RB's and improve other areas while I insert a safety valve for those two weeks.