[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SJax to report tonight?

Randall

From StLouisToday message board moderator

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.p...a8686b39eb66616

Bernie Miklasz has been a Post-Dispatch sports columnist since 1989. He'll make frequent visits here to discuss the Cardinals, Rams and Blues, or take your questions on any sports topic.

This just in:

Jackson is ending his holdout...

Jay Zygmunt got the call a short while ago...

Jackson will practice with the team tomorrow...

No contract yet -- but a team source tells me it won't take long to get it done, they are close, and both sides are confident that a deal will be reached soon.

Great news.

-B

Join Bernie Miklasz and Randy Karraker on the Roll Home, each weekday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Team 1380.

Listen online at:

www.team1380.net

For interview recaps, go to:

www.StlSportsInsider.com

Or he pulls a hammy after missing so much practice...

There's that, but I presume they will really ease him into the plans until the season starts and get him in good shape, decreaing the likelyhood of this happening.

Is Jackson last year's Larry Johnson ? Show's up late after holding out...struggles early then goes out with injury. I am very concerned. He isn't in my top 6 players that is for sure.....#7 is where it gets dicey........are you feeling lucky ????????

This is what scares me.

Does anyone know or have info that shows the probability of holdout guys getting hurt? I know I've see write ups on this in the past but can't find anything online.

I don't have any dats but the ones I remember showed up just before the season. LJ's injury is not related to his holdout. That was a pretty brutal play.

Is Jackson last year's Larry Johnson ? Show's up late after holding out...struggles early then goes out with injury. I am very concerned. He isn't in my top 6 players that is for sure.....#7 is where it gets dicey........are you feeling lucky ????????

i'll take it @ #5 all day long as i did in two drafts

two different teams in two different conference...and divisions...

the AFC is tough and the AFC west is a dirty division...

the NFC is naturally weaker and the NFC west is a defensively weak division...

Jackson is used plenty in the passing game and the Rams OL is better than the Chiefs OL right now.....there were several things that happened to make LJ fall off the way he did and get hurt like losing Shields and Roaf on the left side and Trent Green leaving.....plus Gonzales is the only weapon on offense unless Bowe steps up and the QB situation is shaky..

the Rams OL is in the same shape as last season, if not better with Pace not hurt and they still have Holt and Bulger who is more than adequate...

I expect Jackson to be involved in the passing game a lot and the comparison to LJ is definitely not the case IMO...

two different teams in two different conference...and divisions...

the AFC is tough and the AFC west is a dirty division...

the NFC is naturally weaker and the NFC west is a defensively weak division...

Jackson is used plenty in the passing game and the Rams OL is better than the Chiefs OL right now.....there were several things that happened to make LJ fall off the way he did and get hurt like losing Shields and Roaf on the left side and Trent Green leaving.....plus Gonzales is the only weapon on offense unless Bowe steps up and the QB situation is shaky..

the Rams OL is in the same shape as last season, if not better with Pace not hurt and they still have Holt and Bulger who is more than adequate...

I expect Jackson to be involved in the passing game a lot and the comparison to LJ is definitely not the case IMO...

What about the % of holdouts that get hurt? I know there are some stats on this somewhere - I would expect you to provide them to me :wacko:

ESPN.com has him reporting on Thursday:

St. Louis running back Steven Jackson will end his holdout and report to the Rams on Thursday, according to a source familiar with discussions between the team, Jackson and Jackson's agent, Eugene Parker.

Jackson has notified the team of his intentions and was scheduled to arrive in St. Louis from his home in Las Vegas on Wednesday night.

A new contract for Jackson, who has one year remaining on his rookie deal, appears imminent given that the Rams refused to negotiate with Parker as long as Jackson was not in camp. Jackson, on the other hand, had been adament about not playing this year without a new long-term contract.

Recently, the Rams and Parker held preliminary conversations, clearly positive enough to motivate Jackson to report. The Rams have been fining him $15,000 a day.

Formal, intense negotiations are expected to begin immediately with the aim of getting a new contract completed quickly for the centerpiece of the Rams' offense.

Jackson signed his current deal after the Rams drafted him in the first round in 2004. He has had three straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons after totaling 1,002 last year despite injuries that sidelined him for four games.

Arent they already down one starting OG (Setterstrom?) for the season? And Bulger is pretty much a lock to miss at least a couple games. Who is the Ram's backup QB again? IMO, Bulger and Green are both about one good hit away from being completely done...

SJ is certainly talented and has some potential. But (with the holdout, missing workouts, new offense, injuries, etc) he is more risk than I am willing to take on in the first round. I just dont think his upside is that high (or that much greater than some of the other guys) to justify the additional risk. I may well be wrong about SJ but I think I'll be letting someone else live or die with him this year.

...I just dont think his upside is that high (or that much greater than some of the other guys) to justify the additional risk. I may well be wrong about SJ but I think I'll be letting someone else live or die with him this year.

You had me until this part. I'd say the possibility of 2300 total yards, 10 or so TDs, and 80+ recs is pretty high upside. Even last year when they were on 3rd string OL and he was battling injuries himself he managed to be pretty productive on a per game basis.

He's the focal point of everything the Rams do on offense. All those questions that you mentioned are legit but the upside is there too.