[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your sleepers for 2008

mbarton11

I am sure there is already a topic like this somewhere but I didn't want to look all day so I will start a new one.

List your favorite sleeper at QB, RB, WR, TE, Not super stars but good guys to have on your roster to fill in and might become starters for you.

QB Jason Campbell, just got better every game last year

RB Steve Slaton, will have a chance to start and shine, speed to burn

WR Marvin Harrison, yea i think he is way under the radar this season, he was the best in the league just 2 years ago

TE Alge Crumpler, he is still good.

A sleeper by definition is a player you don't know about before he breaks out from no where. Thus players who are known, but are presently being drafted late in the draft, although could have upside, would be considered undervalued.

The examples/choices you give are more canidates for a comeback or a rookie breakout.

A sleeper would be someone like Chauncey Washington, Legedu Naanee, or DeShawn Wynn... if I did not just mention them. :wacko:

A sleeper by definition is a player you don't know about before he breaks out from no where. Thus players who are known, but are presently being drafted late in the draft, although could have upside, would be considered undervalued.

The examples/choices you give are more canidates for a comeback or a rookie breakout.

A sleeper would be someone like Chauncey Washington, Legedu Naanee, or DeShawn Wynn... if I did not just mention them. :wacko:

good point

I doubt R. Grant or E. Graham was listed in any pre-season threads last year

A sleeper is any player who will out perform (by a long ways) their average draft position. You draft a guy in the 10th round and he out performs most guys drafted in rounds 2-5 at his positions then he is a sleeper. Same goes for a guy drafted in the 5th round doing better than those drafted in rounds 2 and 3. It is all relevant. Look at any sites or Mags "sleeper list" and you understand.

Antonio Bryant is a sleeper. The Oakland Raider Defense as well is a sleeper.

ETA: Oakland Raider D. How could I forget about them. They are stacked. May take a year to develop though.

Edited by loyalboyd

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Matt Schaub. I expect top 6 and I've been seeing him go in the 9th and 10th. Well, maybe he's been going later but I haven't seen it because that's where I snatch him up :wacko:

Some people may get up in arms that top 6 doesn't make him a sleeper, but if he's being drafted as a backup, I believe it does.

Comatose sleepers

Paul Hubbard Cleveland

Dom Hixon

Danny Amendola?

Greg Camarillo and Anthony Armstrong Miami WRS

Not comatose

I really like Cotchery this year. He and Favre are clicking, and Brett didn't want to leave the last game. He could become a WR1 very soon.

Edited by Randall

Isn't a sleeper just a guy that everybody is "sleeping" on? I didn't know there was such a need for a thorough, scientific definition.

I may be in the minority, but I have always considered a "sleeper" as someone extremely undervalued, with a great chance of breaking out big.

In that respect, a sleeper COULD be a Marvin Harrison, or other resurgent player that is not expected by the general audience to do well, and falls deep in the draft.

Here's who I like this year:

Eddie Royal

Robert Meachem

Sidney Rice

Kevin Walter

Tim Hightower

Brandon Coutu

Is there a like term (other than "bust") for someone who is genrally OVERVALUED and likely to "bust" in the draft? I have used the term bust before, but that seems to require proof out before using. So potential to do badly would be a... what ... lemon? and Alexander?

I haven't heard anything good about him so far in camp what-so-ever...

FWIW:

Now, Isaiah Stanback may be about to get a chance to show what progress he's made.

Healthy again, Stanback was able to go through the entire off-season program, the mini-camps, the OTAs, and be tutored by receivers coach Ray Sherman and Garrett and Owens. This is not the same player who was a one-man episode of "Lost" a season ago.

"Last year when I came in here I didn't know anything about the position," Stanback recalled before Tuesday's practice at Valley Ranch. A quarterback at Washington his last three years in college, Stanback reviewed himself as a rookie receiver. "I was just one of those try-hard guys learning on the run. I didn't get the attention I wanted and probably needed from my position coach because he had other guys he needed to get ready. This year is a different story. I've had the whole off-season, OTAs, mini-camp, and all those reps have definitely come in handy. They have high expectations for me. I'm still not where I want to be, or need to be, but the reality of the situation is that I've still only been out there for a year. I can't expect too much, but being an athlete and a competitor you have high expectations of yourself."

Stanback is right that more is expected of him.

A year ago, coaches did not want Stanback on the field in a game situation, not running from scrimmage. This year, Garrett acknowledges there are some things Stanback can do well enough to make plans around him.

"He's fast and smart and it matters to him," says Garrett, applying the family yardstick for players. "He wants to play and he wants to get better. As Coach Phillips has said, this game (Houston Friday night in preseason game No.3 at Texas Stadium) we're going to be playing our starters more than we have. But with Miles down for awhile, absolutely Isaiah will get more chances, and next week he'll get a lot."

If you're not sure about that "matters to him" part, go back and watch the kickoff returns Stanback has had the first two weeks. He attacks a potential hole in the coverage scheme. He clearly doesn't want simply to play, but to make plays. That's a trait coaches can't teach.

The difficulty is whether a former quarterback can make the transition to a new position fast enough to contribute to what should be a contending team.

"Just being semi-new to the position is hard," Stanback says. "I'm trying to take advantage of every opportunity I get, but the truth is you get rookie free agents coming in here with more experience than I have as a receiver. Guys have played the position for five or 10 years and things come naturally to them, things I'm still working at."

The quarterback he was makes it easy for Stanback to identify his strengths, though, as well as his weaknesses. As a receiver, Isaiah, what are you good at? He chuckles and doesn't hesitate. "I can run. I can run fast. Sometimes it feels like that's about it. I'm pretty strong. I'm strong in the weight room and I'm learning how to use that strength. If you don't know how to use it, it doesn't do you any good. I'm getting better in the running game, stuff like that.

"Route-running is getting better. There are still some routes I definitely need to work with, but I'm improving."

There are some similarities between Stanback and Austin, albeit for different reasons. Both began the off-season extremely unpolished. They are probably the two fastest receivers in camp. Both have potential that makes you giddy, and Stanback has tried to learn from his teammate.

"I try to learn from everybody," he says, "but for sure Miles is a great example of a guy who has been in a similar situation to me. Players who would show you a flash but be inconsistent because of inexperience. You can see what he's done with hard work. He's caught everyone's attention by making plays."

Depending on what Phillips decides to do with rookie Felix Jones, Austin likely would have opened the season as the primary kickoff returner. That's a job that could now fall to Stanback, who hopes to show the progress Austin has.

Keep in mind, Isaiah Stanback is about a year behind Miles Austin in development. He's not ready for prime time, but there is a chance he could be a showstopper. He admits he now feels more like an NFL receiver.

"I'm not nearly where I want to be," he says, "but I'm getting there. I'm making progress."

If you're not sure about that "matters to him" part, go back and watch the kickoff returns Stanback has had the first two weeks. He attacks a potential hole in the coverage scheme. He clearly doesn't want simply to play, but to make plays.

That's what got Terrell Davis noticed.