[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Strategies: What is the longest you have ever waited to draft a RB?

keggerz

This is a link to a league where we draft our players and then its a "Best Ball" Format after that...no waivers, no lineups, no trades, no nothing:

http://football11.myfantasyleague.com/2008...=15576&O=17 (I was picking 12th out of 12 and its WCOFF Scoring)

It really isn't a secret that I have no problem going WR WR from lower positions in a draft (many previous mocks here support that statement)...but I don't think that I have ever waited until round FIVE to take my 1st RB....Yep, I waited until ROUND FIVE!!!

I know I am biased but I actually like me team....fwiw, I had a small glitch in my predraft and took Witten when I really wanted and could have had Boldin which would have been 4 consecutive WRs!!!

Delhomme, Schaub, Sage Rosenwhatever

Rudi, KevSmith, Julius Jones, Torain, Chris Perry, Pierre Thomas

Wayen, TO, Calvin Johnson, Mark Clayton, RegWIlliams,. Michael Clayton, Branch, Doucet, Jacoby Jones, Mark Bradley

Witten, Shockey(and 2 can start)

AKers, Tynes

Jax, Balt

So, what is the longest you have ever waited to draft your 1st RB?

I know I am probably in the minority but if ever there was a year that you can pass on a RB until round 5, imo it is this year.

Edited by keggerz

small glitch in my predraft...lol. meaning there was a problem between the chair and keyboard? In best ball it might be good but I wouldn't want to count on that crew of RBs you've got. Even with the high ADPs you have at WR/TE.

small glitch in my predraft...lol. meaning there was a problem between the chair and keyboard? In best ball it might be good but I wouldn't want to count on that crew of RBs you've got. Even with the high ADPs you have at WR/TE.

glitch was that as I hit enter for the predraft i realized that I had witten 1st and went in to fix it and bang the guy in front of me picked and I didnt get to fix it.

glitch was that as I hit enter for the predraft i realized that I had witten 1st and went in to fix it and bang the guy in front of me picked and I didnt get to fix it.

so like I said, PEBKAC...like club, I don't think I've waited till the 4th.

In AOTAOP I did not draft my 1st RB until the 9th round, of course the starting lineup options had a lot to do with that so it probably does not count.

Since it's "Best Ball" it will be interesting to see how you do. I guess if you are going to go WR/WR it may not be that huge of a risk to wait another round or 2 on a RB based on what's available at that point, looking at what you could have had at the 3/4 turn the drop off does not look that huge in terms of available RB's, especially when you are rolling out TO, Wayne, Witten and Calvin Johnson every week.

In one of my locals [serpentine draft, 12 team, non-PPR, 1 pt per 10 yards rushing/receiving, TDs 6 points] I have come up with a very successful method for drafting my RBs that has paid off for years.

While most people focus on getting the two best RBs they can in the opening rounds, I came to the realization that by going RB/RB you are weakening your team's strength in the over all grand scheme of things. Think of it like this, if you managed to draft RB 1 in the first round who you know will get you 1600 yards and 12 to 14 Tds, who would you rather go along with that RB; another RB who may get you between 1200 to 1300 yards and 8 Tds and then be behind in your QB/WRs/TEs or a WR who will get you the around 1300 - 1500 yards and 9 to 13 Tds THEN scoop up a vulture RB later on.

What i mean is this,

In my 12 team league, I am keeping Santonio Holmes for my 7th round pick and Jason Witten for my 8th round pick. This leaves rounds 1 - 6 open for me to play with. I will drafted 11th over all so I will grab the best available RB for a non-PPR league, then scoop up a QB in the 2nd round since all of our TDs are 6 points. If there is no QB that will be worth my wild on my 2nd round pick, I will go for the best WR but since I have Santonio Holmes already I am more inclined to grab the best QB. Holmes is in position to break out in his 3rd year and produce low level #1 WR stats ::crossesfingers::

My RB plan is to draft my 2nd RB with the hopes of getting a RB who will get goal line and short yardage plays. So hopefully I can find a RB who will get me 12 TDs this year but maybe only 500 yards and get this back deeper in the draft like around 4th or 5th round. Most people will be focusing on grabbing two RBs that are going to put up over 1200 yards and once those picks are done, they will move on to WRs then QBs. This should get me the edge i need in the draft.

So it will look like this:

Starting Line up -

Stud QB by round 3 at the latest

Stud RB round 1

Goal line RB round 4 - 5 hopefully

Stud WR/ Starting #1 WR - Already kept at round 7

#2 WR - between round 2 - 4. Hopefully I can get some solid players like maybe Fitz again or grab S. Smith deep in the draft

Rounds 5+ pack up on backs like Leon Washington, Norwood, etc.

Of course, plans never work out but the past 3 seasons i have managed [using the huddle rankings] to grab those filler backs like Leon and Norwood deeper in my draft and I have been able to build a core team with top players in each position without going RB, RB.

Waiting until round 5 to take your 1st back isn't a big deal. In 2003 I played in a high stakes league and was the only team to take WR-WR-WR-WR for 1st 4 rounds and got laughed at....I nearly won $15,000 missing by just a few points in the finals. I won $3,150 that year not bad for $600 entry for a "crazy" 4 WR strat.

Last year I took 3 WR's and 1 TE with my 1st 4 picks in my 1st money league and was "thanked for donating my money" to the league...oh ya I won going away.

Of course it helps if you pick the right players or get players off of waivers to make this work.

In 2003 I got Dom Davis off waivers and last year I picked Jamal Lewis round 5.

Now what is kinda crazy is the teams that wait until round 8 to take a RB...I am watching someone in 1 of my slow drafts in the process of doing this right now...he went non RB's 1st 7 rounds and then took RB's in rounds 8 -13

In AOTAOP I did not draft my 1st RB until the 9th round, of course the starting lineup options had a lot to do with that so it probably does not count.

Since it's "Best Ball" it will be interesting to see how you do. I guess if you are going to go WR/WR it may not be that huge of a risk to wait another round or 2 on a RB based on what's available at that point, looking at what you could have had at the 3/4 turn the drop off does not look that huge in terms of available RB's, especially when you are rolling out TO, Wayne, Witten and Calvin Johnson every week.

Yeah the ATAP leagues are different in the we dont even have to start a RB!

No offense Keg, and didn't read the league rules but that is one sorry ass roster from what I see without looking into the league scoring. YIKES!

Well, more then likely I will end up with

Delhomme or Schaub(of course)

Rudi/KSmith

Wayne TO, CJ

Witten Shockey

being best ball allows guys like JJ to chip in here and there...same goes for torain who may not start the entire year but at some point due to injury will probably get a couple of games where he does indeed do something...I wasnt looking for homers from my RBs because I should get that at WR and TE every game

Waiting until round 5 to take your 1st back isn't a big deal. In 2003 I played in a high stakes league and was the only team to take WR-WR-WR-WR for 1st 4 rounds and got laughed at....I nearly won $15,000 missing by just a few points in the finals. I won $3,150 that year not bad for $600 entry for a "crazy" 4 WR strat.

Last year I took 3 WR's and 1 TE with my 1st 4 picks in my 1st money league and was "thanked for donating my money" to the league...oh ya I won going away.

Of course it helps if you pick the right players or get players off of waivers to make this work.

In 2003 I got Dom Davis off waivers and last year I picked Jamal Lewis round 5.

Now what is kinda crazy is the teams that wait until round 8 to take a RB...I am watching someone in 1 of my slow drafts in the process of doing this right now...he went non RB's 1st 7 rounds and then took RB's in rounds 8 -13

Wow, you make it sound so easy it's like stealing. You're so borderline crazy, I'm actually thinking genious.

I am just saying it has been proved it can work in a high stakes league. There have been many of my teams that tried similar strats and gone down in flames...many other teams that have taken 2 RB's to start the draft and have also gone down in flames...it has more to do with the actual players you draft then the positions. It doesn't make 1 bit of difference which position you draft in the first 4 or 5 rounds as long as they are play up to their draft position. If they fail your team will fail regardless. It's ok to mock me I don't really care, it's all good. I know everyone on the planet feels that they are the smartest and best fantasy football player alive.

Edited by Henry Muto

I am just saying it has been proved it can work in a high stakes league. There have been many of my teams that tried similar strats and gone down in flames...many other teams that have taken 2 RB's to start the draft and have also gone down in flames...it has more to do with the actual players you draft then the positions. It doesn't make 1 bit of difference which position you draft in the first 4 or 5 rounds as long as they are play up to their draft position. If they fail your team will fail regardless. It's ok to mock me I don't really care, it's all good. I know everyone on the planet feels that they are the smartest and best fantasy football player alive.

nice point ,I agree

This is a link to a league where we draft our players and then its a "Best Ball" Format after that...no waivers, no lineups, no trades, no nothing:

http://football11.myfantasyleague.com/2008...=15576&O=17 (I was picking 12th out of 12 and its WCOFF Scoring)

It really isn't a secret that I have no problem going WR WR from lower positions in a draft (many previous mocks here support that statement)...but I don't think that I have ever waited until round FIVE to take my 1st RB....Yep, I waited until ROUND FIVE!!!

I know I am biased but I actually like me team....fwiw, I had a small glitch in my predraft and took Witten when I really wanted and could have had Boldin which would have been 4 consecutive WRs!!!

Delhomme, Schaub, Sage Rosenwhatever

Rudi, KevSmith, Julius Jones, Torain, Chris Perry, Pierre Thomas

Wayen, TO, Calvin Johnson, Mark Clayton, RegWIlliams,. Michael Clayton, Branch, Doucet, Jacoby Jones, Mark Bradley

Witten, Shockey(and 2 can start)

AKers, Tynes

Jax, Balt

So, what is the longest you have ever waited to draft your 1st RB?

I know I am probably in the minority but if ever there was a year that you can pass on a RB until round 5, imo it is this year.

I like the team... a lot. I went QB/WR/RB/WR/TE/RB in the ladder. Wound up with Brady/ B.Edwards/C.Chambers/Lee Evans/Gates/Heap/Maroney/J.Jones. When you leave all those RB's on the board and they magically "fall" to the lemming, it shifts the entire RB mock upwards and the good WR's downwards. I think J.Jones is going to be quite a serviceable back this year. If he hits and is even just OK, you have Wayne and T.O. Tell me that combo doesn't bring fear. I had monster WR's last year, and when they would all hit the same week with two TD's each, there was no one that could beat you. Nice team.

Why not take MMorris instead of Torain? At least you'd cover yourself when JJ fails to produce?

1st because of the best ball format.

2nd I dont think MoMo does much this year

3rd I dont think Selvin will hold up for an entire year

4th I wouldnt be surprised for Torain to take the starting gig at some point

5th Torain is a bigger BOOM or bust pick

6th I only need to start 2 RBs so I dont really have to rely on JJ as I think Rudi/Perry and KSmith will fill my 1/2 most weeks and if Torain hits then its gravy

7th I actually like Pierre as a big sleeper this year and think he could approach 1000yrds this year....I dont believe Deuce is gonna garner many carries...think it will be Bush and Pierre

8th Are you still reading this

9th it about my team but about the strategy

10th Are you still reading this

I let my first RB slide until 4.12 in IBL. I felt very comfortable because the requirements are 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, but you can only start max 2 RB and 2 TE but up to 4 WR. Also, due to the 5 different drafts going on and all the trading I did, my 4th and 5th round picks (both RBs) were actually the 2nd and 3rd picks I made. This is how I started:

1.11: AJ

2.08: Colston

4.02: Holmes (picked Gates and traded for Holmes immediately, this pick was after I had Cooley)

4:12: Jacobs

5.06: Stewart

6:08: Cooley

7.02: Delhomme

7.05: Berrian

I wish I had passed on Cooley and taken Daniels later, but we all make mistakes. My starting lineup has shaped up this way.

QB: Delhomme (could become Schaub)

RB: Jacobs

WR: AJ

WR: Colston

Flex1: Holmes

TE: Cooley

Flex2: Berrian, Stewart, Julius Jones, or LJ Smith

K: tbd

Def: Bears

The downside of this approach (largely because I've become worried about Stewart) is that I had to make sure to load up on reserve RBs, using 10.02, 12.02, and 15.05 when there was probably better value available. (Maybe not at 10.02 when JJ was still there) However, I'm a strong proponent of getting difference makers, and there's no denying that drawing a late round pick means that WRs are the way to find that. Just make sure that your mid-round RBs are not huge gambles but come with upside.

• 9 months later...
No offense Keg, and didn't read the league rules but that is one sorry ass roster from what I see without looking into the league scoring. YIKES!

team played in the SB :D

I like the team... a lot. I went QB/WR/RB/WR/TE/RB in the ladder. Wound up with Brady/ B.Edwards/C.Chambers/Lee Evans/Gates/Heap/Maroney/J.Jones. When you leave all those RB's on the board and they magically "fall" to the lemming, it shifts the entire RB mock upwards and the good WR's downwards. I think J.Jones is going to be quite a serviceable back this year. If he hits and is even just OK, you have Wayne and T.O. Tell me that combo doesn't bring fear. I had monster WR's last year, and when they would all hit the same week with two TD's each, there was no one that could beat you. Nice team.

i did too but it wasnt quite nice enough :wacko:

3rd or 4th round I believe. That year I took Randy Moss and another WR at the end of the first and beginning of the 2nd and my starting RBs were 2 rookies (Jamal Lewis and Thomas Jones) which looking back was a bit of a mistake to go both rookies. Lost in the title game that year, the 2nd rookie (Jones) never panned out that year and I had to rely on other picks/WW adds.

Edited by irish