[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jonathon Stewart

PSULions

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just got back from the game and it was awesome. Each guy played every other series. Each had a few nice runs of 8-11 yds apiece and then the highlight show started in the 2nd quarter. First it looked DW was going to take it home with a 32 yarder, but someone poked the ball around the 15 yard line, but SS was running right with him for blocking support... picks up the loose ball and take it in for the first TD of the game. :wacko: Than it was Stewart's turn and after the 2nd or 3rd play of the drive he takes it to the left gets past a few tackles and breaks free around the 40... he got tripped around the 30, but kept his balance and took it to the house... the crowd went nuts. Next series... it was DW back in with the first team and a near repeat of the first long TD by Stewart, DW breaks through the line and gets into the secondary and gets away from the one guy and runs away from the last tackler to take it 60 yards. :D:D Towards the end of the third quarter DW had two nice runs and we were at 3rd and 1... a down and distance that we struggled with each of the last two years with Foster as the main RB. Stewart came in for the first time when it was DW series and pretty much everyone knew they were going to run it and sure enough... Stewart converted it and kept the drive alive and turned into the Delhomme to Rosario TD. Looks like he will be the short yardage guy and probably get the one yard TDs... giving him a little bit more value than DW, but while JStew deserves to be draft around where he is, DW looks like he will provide nice value for those at are fortunate enough to get him in the 6th or 7th round.

It looks like it is going to be a true committee at this point, with both players providing some good, but not great FF points, unless one got hurt and the other gets the extra touches. As a Panther homer... I hope this doesn't happen, but at least we have what looks to be two very good RBs. :D

Delhomme was a little rusty in the first quarter, but he started settling down and started making some nice throws. Steve Smith was great and made a couple nice catches including one that Fox had to challenge as the ref called him out of bounds, but he made a great grab and had his feet him. He finished is night with a nice short WR screen that he juked the defender and he was off to the races with a 30 + yard TD. Another nice bonus was the nice game that Dwayne Jarrett had. He looked good, ran some good routes and looked like he could step in as a #3 WR if needed should D.J. Hackett stay sidelined. IF the Panthers are able to run the ball as effectively as they did tonight... this team should have now problem putting points on the board and winning enough games to get back into the playoffs.

On the defensive side of the ball the Panthers D looks much improved from last year's version. Julius Peppers looks like the Peppers of old and dominating again. Got a sack, recovered two fumbles... one from Campbell when someone knocked the ball out of his hand and one that Betts tried a little too much to get more yards and got the ball knocked out. Made a great play stopping Portis for about a 3 or 4 yard loss. He looks like he would be an undervalued pick if you are in IDP leagues as his numbers from last year have dropped him down in the defensive rankings. Beason looked great too so he would be a great pick as well and will rack up big #s of tackles again this year.

If you guys have any more questions about other Panthers players from this game... I will be happy to answer from what I saw tonight. :D

Edited by PSULions

Excellent review, PSU :wacko:

Not want a Panthers fan wants to hear, but I was hoping one RB would separate themselves from the other...instead, it appears the opposite has happened. I'll be staying away from both unless on of them slips below his ADP, and I can get some value. But I won't reach for either.

Well, just got back from the game and it was awesome. Each guy played every other series. Each had a few nice runs of 8-11 yds apiece and then the highlight show started in the 2nd quarter. First it looked DW was going to take it home with a 32 yarder, but someone poked the ball around the 15 yard line, but SS was running right with him for blocking support... picks up the loose ball and take it in for the first TD of the game. :wacko: Than it was Stewart's turn and after the 2nd or 3rd play of the drive he takes it to the left gets past a few tackles and breaks free around the 40... he got tripped around the 30, but kept his balance and took it to the house... the crowd went nuts. Next series... it was DW back in with the first team and a near repeat of the first long TD by Stewart, DW breaks through the line and gets into the secondary and gets away from the one guy and runs away from the last tackler to take it 60 yards. :D:D Towards the end of the third quarter DW had two nice runs and we were at 3rd and 1... a down and distance that we struggled with each of the last two years with Foster as the main RB. Stewart came in for the first time when it was DW series and pretty much everyone knew they were going to run it and sure enough... Stewart converted it and kept the drive alive and turned into the Delhomme to Rosario TD. Looks like he will be the short yardage guy and probably get the one yard TDs... giving him a little bit more value than DW, but while JStew deserves to be draft around where he is, DW looks like he will provide nice value for those at are fortunate enough to get him in the 6th or 7th round.

It looks like it is going to be a true committee at this point, with both players providing some good, but not great FF points, unless one got hurt and the other gets the extra touches. As a Panther homer... I hope this doesn't happen, but at least we have what looks to be two very good RBs. :D

Delhomme was a little rusty in the first quarter, but he started settling down and started making some nice throws. Steve Smith was great and made a couple nice catches including one that Fox had to challenge as the ref called him out of bounds, but he made a great grab and had his feet him. He finished is night with a nice short WR screen that he juked the defender and he was off to the races with a 30 + yard TD. Another nice bonus was the nice game that Dwayne Jarrett had. He looked good, ran some good routes and looked like he could step in as a #3 WR if needed should D.J. Hackett stay sidelined. IF the Panthers are able to run the ball as effectively as they did tonight... this team should have now problem putting points on the board and winning enough games to get back into the playoffs.

On the defensive side of the ball the Panthers D looks much improved from last year's version. Julius Peppers looks like the Peppers of old and dominating again. Got a sack, recovered two fumbles... one from Campbell when someone knocked the ball out of his hand and one that Betts tried a little too much to get more yards and got the ball knocked out. Made a great play stopping Portis for about a 3 or 4 yard loss. He looks like he would be an undervalued pick if you are in IDP leagues as his numbers from last year have dropped him down in the defensive rankings. Beason looked great too so he would be a great pick as well and will rack up big #s of tackles again this year.

If you guys have any more questions about other Panthers players from this game... I will be happy to answer from what I saw tonight. :D

Great info. Thanks PSU

I'm still grabbing Stewart if he makes it to the mid 5th round or later and I'll grab him earlier than Williams.

If he makes it to the 5th he would be getting a steal and yes... he should go before DW because he will be the short yardage guy and will likely get more TD than DW. However, DW seems to be way undervalued.

I have a keeper league where we are allowed to keep 2 players the fifth round and after at a cost of the draft pick the player was picked. Every year I seem to pick the most over hyped lazy one in the bunch. I'm actually going to end up targeting one of the rookie RBs for my first selection of the fifth, but I'm going to do whatever I can to steer clear of JS and here's why. Every couple of years the panthers blow a high draft pick on a RB that will surely uproot the vet that failed to uproot the previous vet and this will all happen by week one. If fox has proven anything, it's that he will not give carries to backs that are less then stellar blockers. We saw it with Davis, Foster, and now D-dub. I have no doubt that Stewart will have a role in the offense even with D-dub, but I can't see spending a fourth or fifth for the limited/uneven production that is sure to follow.

Great hometown insight, but where is he at with all the other parts of being a RB?

I have a keeper league where we are allowed to keep 2 players the fifth round and after at a cost of the draft pick the player was picked. Every year I seem to pick the most over hyped lazy one in the bunch. I'm actually going to end up targeting one of the rookie RBs for my first selection of the fifth, but I'm going to do whatever I can to steer clear of JS and here's why. Every couple of years the panthers blow a high draft pick on a RB that will surely uproot the vet that failed to uproot the previous vet and this will all happen by week one. If fox has proven anything, it's that he will not give carries to backs that are less then stellar blockers. We saw it with Davis, Foster, and now D-dub. I have no doubt that Stewart will have a role in the offense even with D-dub, but I can't see spending a fourth or fifth for the limited/uneven production that is sure to follow.

Great hometown insight, but where is he at with all the other parts of being a RB?

:wacko:

You are 100% right about Fox and starting the guy that not only runs better but making sure the RBs execute every assignment.... not just the highlights. The last two years Foster was the starter simply because he was the better blocker when it came to chipping a LB to make sure the QB didn't get whacked by someone rushing. DW although a better runner IMO, didn't crack the 1st team because of his inability to protect the QB when it was necessary. Reports out of camp after indicated that DW has had the light come on when the team drafted Stewart and is learning how to be a top notch pro. His blocking has improved tremdously and he looked to be in line to start. JStew also looked good at executing the other things that you spoke about, when the Redskins were bringing some pressure with a LB blitz right in the middle... Stewart saw it, read it, and was able to get a good enough block to prevent the blitzing LB from reaching Delhomme, so in the limited time I was a the RB stay in the block, Stewart kept Delhomme upright and the OL did a very good job as I believe that they allowed one sack when the first team was still on the field. Stewart also went out as a receiver a few times and was sitting out on the flat wide open, for what looked like could have been another Panthers TD, but Delhomme missed him as he was trying to throw the ball to Steve Smith and the pass when incomplete. I don't beleive that either DW or JStew caught a pass all night, but I think this was a night that Jake was trying to prove to the naysayers that his arm looks fine and he was throwing down field all night. His first pass of the night where he threw about 50 yards to a streaking Steve Smith who just missed making a great catch as the ball was a little overthrown. Anyway, to answer your question, both the RBs did well at running, pass protecting and running their routes, despite not catching any passes thrown their direction. I think the OC was not trying to give much film on the playbook and I think they kept the RB screens and other plays like that under wraps at least until the regular season starts on 9/7 when they play SD.

Another tidbit for you guys is to keep your eye on Dante Rosario at TE. He made two very nice catches including the TE and I did not see any targets for Jeff King (last year's starter) as he came out after he caused a 5 yard penalty on a false start he had. King came back in again, but did not get any looks from Jake that I saw. Rosario as nice speed and IMO looks poised to become a factor in the passing game with his ability to catch and run after the catch. He is not going anywhere in drafts, so if after a few games in September you see some good games from him... be ready to bounce on him and snatch him up from the WW as I believe he could have a decent season and will likely outperform some guys that were drafted. :wacko:

your TRs are the best, bar none

your TRs are the best, bar none

Thanks! :D

I am fortunate enough to have season tickets so I get to watch my beloved Panthers in person 10 times a year. What you pick up at the game is a little better insight into the game as the TV games do not show all the action off the ball. So I try to check out all the action and provide my insight to help my fellow Huddlers with their own leagues with player insights on my Panthers. It's fun to mesh my two loves... the Panthers and FF!

BTW Randall, great idea to post the game highlights. Every single TD for the game was on the side that I sit at (about the 25 - 27 yard line) so I got to watch all the great runs and TD passes and I must admit... that although I know that it is PRESEASON and we probably looked better than we actually are... I am pretty stoked about the things I saw on the field last night. :wacko: I will start getting a little more excited when we start putting some Ws in the win column in September, but I think the Panthers could be a force in the NFC again and a good chance to make the playoffs again! :D

I'm watching the game on NFLNetwork right now.

:D:wacko::D:D:D

same here...

I just don't know how much we can take from this game though. I just watched the Dolphins murder KC. In the Fins/KC game you got the feeling that the Fins would face much tougher opposition when the season starts. I get the same feeling when I look at the Redskins getting spanked by Carolina. Can't take anything from Stewart and Williams though.

Stewart looks AWESOME. I can't wait to see the rush distribution next week for Carolina. I've said it all year long and I'll keep saying it....Stewart will be the starter by mid-season if not sooner and OROY.

So much for that toe injury :wacko:

Stewart looks AWESOME. I can't wait to see the rush distribution next week for Carolina. I've said it all year long and I'll keep saying it....Stewart will be the starter by mid-season if not sooner and OROY.

So much for that toe injury :wacko:

Did you see him after his TD run - as soon as he entered the endzone he jumped/stomped twice on both feet? I thought that was a poor decision considering said toe problems.

Did you see him after his TD run - as soon as he entered the endzone he jumped/stomped twice on both feet? I thought that was a poor decision considering said toe problems.

I thought the exact same thing but I think that was a punctuation that he is confident in his toe. I dunno...but yeah I agree.

If he makes it to the 5th he would be getting a steal and yes... he should go before DW because he will be the short yardage guy and will likely get more TD than DW. However, DW seems to be way undervalued.

The league that I grabbed him in the mid 5th round was a very competitive BOTH league. I was surprised he dropped that far (I've seen him available in the 4th round quite a bit) and guess the timing of our draft, which was conducted last week, had people worried about his toe and playing status going forward.

The league that I grabbed him in the mid 5th round was a very competitive BOTH league. I was surprised he dropped that far (I've seen him available in the 4th round quite a bit) and guess the timing of our draft, which was conducted last week, had people worried about his toe and playing status going forward.

I got him at 5.05 of Good vs Evil (16 team)another competitive BOtH league. Those guys are RB whores too. I'm surprised he was still there.