[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky Williams

darin3

I am simply assuming that by the 5th round you would have your starting 2 RB's. Unless you are puffing the Ricky.

The 6th round is for players like WInslow, Gonzalez, Hasselbeck, etc. You know, Pro Bowlers. Not washed up backup RB's.

Edited by Seahawks21

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember anybody taking Ryan Grant in the top 70 last year. Hmmmmm. I don't mind taking Ricky Williams late, but the 70th pick is the 6th round most of the time, right? That is when I'm taking starters and guys that actually figure to have an impact on my team.

You said under 100 now it's under 70?

lol at the thought of Ricky being a top 10 back. Come on now. I know I can get a bit crazy with some of my projections, but wow.

Look up Curtis Martin at 31. If I remember right it was about 1900 yards combined and 14 TDs.

In competetive leagues like many play around here you have to have vision, luck and be willing to gamble.

And if you followed what I said I took him in the 9th and 11th rounds, not as a RB 2. I would take him in the 6th or 7th ar a RB3

The problem with this situation is the right answer is only evident in hindsight. So many factors are involved for why you'd want to go either way-- your league, the players in your league, and your team roster-- much less your ability to prognosticate what happens for playing time with both guys.

Neither of them have stayed healthy together long enough for us to really see how a timeshare between the two would work out. 2005 leaned toward Williams at the end (though both players ended up with a 4.4 average), but Brown was a rookie and didn't have his impressive 2007 run under his belt. If both were fully healthy... who knows? It's easy to say Brown has more upside, especially given his mini-run in 2007 (and he's certainly a better pass catcher), but Williams did have an 1800/16 season as a Dolphin so it's not like he's an unproven scrub.

Right now, all we know is Williams is the starter for the first game, with no idea how this particular situation will shake itself out. This sounds like a great situation to avoid, if possible.

I am simply assuming that by the 5th round you would have your starting 2 RB's. Unless you are puffing the Ricky.

The 6th round is for players like WInslow, Gonzalez, Hasselbeck, etc. You know, Pro Bowlers. Not washed up backup RB's.

WRs are where the TDs are at.

I remember this washed up talk about Randy Moss about this time last year. No one really knows about Ricky, but if Brown keeps being like Fred Taylor, he won't be the starter further in the season.

The problem with this situation is the right answer is only evident in hindsight. So many factors are involved for why you'd want to go either way-- your league, the players in your league, and your team roster-- much less your ability to prognosticate what happens for playing time with both guys.

Neither of them have stayed healthy together long enough for us to really see how a timeshare between the two would work out. 2005 leaned toward Williams at the end (though both players ended up with a 4.4 average), but Brown was a rookie and didn't have his impressive 2007 run under his belt. If both were fully healthy... who knows? It's easy to say Brown has more upside, especially given his mini-run in 2007 (and he's certainly a better pass catcher), but Williams did have an 1800/16 season as a Dolphin so it's not like he's an unproven scrub.

Right now, all we know is Williams is the starter for the first game, with no idea how this particular situation will shake itself out. This sounds like a great situation to avoid, if possible.

Not for me. This guy still has more talent than 80% of the league's starting RB's.

In the 7th round it's usually too early for a TE, QB or defense(for me) so I'm willing to take one swing for the fences. Why the hell not? Who you going to take Chris Chambers?

As a RB 3 Ricky has a lot more upside than downside.

I liked Ricky a few weeks ago, when he could be had at the end of a draft and offered upside. I expected Brown to be worked slowly back in and Ricky to get a chance to start for a bit and work himself into a committee. So I took him. Now though, we're getting reports of him going in the fourth and I really don't like that at all, much too rich for me as my views on how he'll be used haven't changed. Where's the cut off point where i'd take a gamble? Not sure yet.

Edited by MonkeyOne

You said under 100 now it's under 70?

lol at the thought of Ricky being a top 10 back. Come on now. I know I can get a bit crazy with some of my projections, but wow.

Look up Curtis Martin at 31. If I remember right it was about 1900 yards combined and 14 TDs.

In competetive leagues like many play around here you have to have vision, luck and be willing to gamble.

And if you followed what I said I took him in the 9th and 11th rounds, not as a RB 2. I would take him in the 6th or 7th ar a RB3

THat wasn't directed at you. I believe it was Detlef who was talking about getting him at 70. No, top 100 is just fine. I don't have him in mine, but I can't take issue with that. In competetive leagues you also have to have skill and common sense, it isn't all just luck and gambling. Anybody that will take Ricky WIlliams with their 6th pick is not going to be in their fantasy playoffs barring the most incredible luck you have ever seen. It is that simple. Take whoever you are high on in the 9th or 10th, sure, but you better get contributors with your 6th and 7th.

Ronnie participates in Thursday afternoon’s practice

By Ben Volin | Thursday, August 21, 2008, 05:06 PM

Ronnie Brown returned to practice Thursday afternoon, participating in pass-catching drills with the running backs during the first 30 minutes open to the media.

He still has a soft cast protecting his sprained right thumb, but Brown wore his helmet Thursday afternoon and caught passes along with the rest of the quarterbacks.

Brown isn’t likely to play this Saturday against Kansas City, or in the final exhibition game Thursday at New Orleans. But his participation in Thursday afternoon’s practice is a good sign that Brown can be ready to go Sept. 7 against the Jets.

THat wasn't directed at you. I believe it was Detlef who was talking about getting him at 70. No, top 100 is just fine. I don't have him in mine, but I can't take issue with that. In competetive leagues you also have to have skill and common sense, it isn't all just luck and gambling. Anybody that will take Ricky WIlliams with their 6th pick is not going to be in their fantasy playoffs barring the most incredible luck you have ever seen. It is that simple. Take whoever you are high on in the 9th or 10th, sure, but you better get contributors with your 6th and 7th.

I don't think it's that simple though. Every year there are surprises.

If you take TE's and QB's later you could take Ricky in the 6th round as your 3rd or 4th RB if you have 2 good WR's. Any earlier than that I think the risk is greater than the reward but time will tell.

RB1

WR1

RB2

WR2

RB3

Ricky

Then TE/QB (Schaub(DelHomme)Daniels)This could work. Nothing's ever that simple.

Drafts unfold in a lot of ways and you have to be fexible enough to change strategies on the fly.

Sure, you could get really really lucky and drafting that way could work out for you, but I'm going to beat that draft at least 8 out of 10 if you draft that way.

If you weren't calling J Jones and R Brown 3rd round steals, I'd have a whole lot easier time buy your "I'm going to beat that draft 8 out of 10" nonsense.

Randall is 100% correct. the 6th and 7th rounds are great times to swing for the fences. You wanna load up on marginal WRs who are assured of getting you 600 yds and 5 TDs but not a penny more? That's great. You want to grab the 6th TE off the board who's got statistically no better shot of being an every week starter than the 5-7 TEs picked after him? That's great as well. I'm going to go ahead and take the guy who's apparently been looking great in camp, was a former all-pro and is neck and neck for the starting job with a dude who's coming off knee surgery and a busted hand.

Provided you don't piss away top 3 picks on hacks like Julius Jones, then you can afford the luxury of going after a guy like Rick Will in the middle rounds. Yes, I was way more into to the pick when he could be had at 100, but every day I check the news, it's more about Ricky's looking like #1. Why don't you want a guy who might be the #1 back at pick 70 when you're selling a guy who can't get past M Morris on the depth chart as a guy "who should be a 2nd rounder".

Edited by detlef

65. Brown, Reggie PHI WR 38th WR

66. Coles, Laveranues NYJ WR* 39th WR

67. Moss, Santana WAS WR 40th WR

68. Shockey, Jeremy NYG 11th TE

69. Heap, Todd BAL TE* Waayyy down the TE list

70. Ryans, DeMeco HOU LB n/a

71. Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB 30th RB

72. Jackson, Darrell SFO WR sorry, not counting that high

73. Edwards, Braylon CLE WR DING DING DING! WINNER WINNER!

74. Leinart, Matt ARI QB* Do I have to bother?

75. Jones, Julius DAL RB THERE'S YOUR BOY! 43rd RB :wacko:

76. Patriots, New England NEP Def For some reason, the stats wouldn't load but if you take a D this soon, you're an idiot.

77. Merriman, Shawne SDC N/A

78. Urlacher, Brian CHI N/A

79. Davis, Vernon SFO TE 15th TE

80. Chambers, Chris SDC WR 29th WR

So I figured, what the hell? Let's go back to last year and look at the treasure trove of values that could be had at picks around 70 (MLF ADP for 2007). All the "day to day starters" that you could have rather than giving ol' Ricky a shot. There's exactly 1 guy out of the 13 non IDP players taken near that pick that you couldn't gladly live without. That's why it's a fine time to say "Why not?"

Randall and Detlef have pretty much summed up my drafting strategy of late and my thoughts on him. I am swinging for the fences and hoping to get that one guy who can really put your team over the top. The draft is all about finding that guy that outperforms where you draft them.

So I figured, what the hell? Let's go back to last year and look at the treasure trove of values that could be had at picks around 70 (MLF ADP for 2007). All the "day to day starters" that you could have rather than giving ol' Ricky a shot. There's exactly 1 guy out of the 13 non IDP players taken near that pick that you couldn't gladly live without. That's why it's a fine time to say "Why not?"

The leagues around here are so competitive I think you have to swing for the fences once or twice.In the 6th and 7th rounds I often find litle value so I will try it if someone has a lot of upside.

Dolphins: Refreshed Ricky Williams flashes old form

With Ronnie Brown hurt, RB Williams may still be key to offense's success.

By Harvey Fialkov | South Florida Sun-Sentinel

August 23, 2008

DAVIE - The younger Ronnie Brown was supposed to get top billing over a rusty, yet fresh Ricky Williams in the upcoming Ronnie and Ricky Show.

But Brown's mounting injury concerns combined with Williams flashing the vintage form that earned him the NFL rushing title in 2002 have seemed to reverse their names on the marquee.

The yoga master has become chairman of this running backs-by-committee scenario for the Dolphins.

Suddenly, despite having just six NFL carries since 2005 when he gained 743 yards as a complementary back to Brown (907), it's the 31-year-old Williams looking down the depth chart at the 26-year-old.

While coach Tony Sparano believes it won't take long for Brown to get back to the form he displayed last year before tearing his ACL in Game 7, he is concerned that his latest injury — a sprained right thumb suffered against the Jaguars last week — could affect Brown's workload early in the season.

Brown won't play in tonight's next-to-last exhibition game against the Chiefs.

"I think the big part was getting him out there mentally and getting him going," Sparano said.

"If that means that during the season, one way or the other, we have to cross over those hurdles to get him to feel good, then so be it."

The ego-less Williams regularly professes his fondness for Brown and that he has no interest in competing against his younger "brother."

That said, Sparano said recently, that "they're competing and right now Ronnie isn't out there."

If that's the case, the competition hasn't been close.

Brown has appeared indecisive in gaining 6 yards on five carries, while Williams has glided to 74 yards on 15 carries, including a between-the-tackles 4-yard touchdown run last week.

As far as trust issues regarding his past drug suspensions, veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday believes in Williams and his ability.

"This year, he's shown me he's recommitted and focused on becoming one of the elite backs again," Holliday said. Although Williams wouldn't admit it, he has the added motivation of being in the final year of a minimum $730,000 contract, knowing that he probably has one last shot at a big NFL payday to help take care of his family.

"The most important thing is to quiet the doubts in my own mind," Williams said. "For the most part I'm not worried. ... I know I'm going to make it through the season. Then after the season I'll look at my career and see which way I'm going to go."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/footbal...,0,731626.story

Although Williams wouldn't admit it, he has the added motivation of being in the final year of a minimum $730,000 contract, knowing that he probably has one last shot at a big NFL payday

There is no bigger motivator than money, this is why I am liking, and drafting, Ricky.

Perfect. And Ricky Williams is by far a worse pick than any other player on that list. Guy, are you drinking the 27 year old Ricky Kool-Aid? Turn the clock to the present date. Ricky is old, and hasn't done anything in half a decade. Why not just forfeit your pick if you don't want the other guys available? That is pretty much exactly what you are doing by drafting this guy.

Here is exactly how this will go.......

Ricky will get lots of touches to start the season, to see what he can do. It will quickly become evident that he isn't 25 anymore and he won't be anything special, so they will give Brown more looks. Brown will play well and the Ricky WIlliams part of this story is done. It isn't that difficult to figure out. Go ahead and take Jake DelHomme in the 8th after you draft Ricky, when you could have had Hasselbeck to begin with. Shoot yourself in the foot if you wish, just don't have false hopes of what you're getting yourself into. You can count on one hand the amount of guys that have had a good season at his age, and most of those guys are legends of the game. The chances of him actually are being productive are ridiculously slim, especially with a young stud alongside him. Justify it all you want but you're flat-out wasting a decent pick.

Edited by Seahawks21

Perfect. And Ricky Williams is by far a worse pick than any other player on that list. Guy, are you drinking the 27 year old Ricky Kool-Aid? Turn the clock to the present date. Ricky is old, and hasn't done anything in half a decade. Why not just forfeit your pick if you don't want the other guys available? That is pretty much what you are doing.

Why do you hate America? :wacko: