[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Fantasy Football Writers?

ChampSampson

Hello,

Hope this isn't a repeat post...I checked the search function first... I am wondering what writers you all read?

So, Here's my short list (I read many more columinst, I'm a junkie) I hope we can make a nice list. I'm really hoping for good recommendations on Bloggers and Local Beat Writers,one's that are talented, unique, and informative. And obviously, I love everyone on theHuddle, and rely on them heavily for information.

1. www.profootballtalk.com

Profootballtalk.com is a news and rumor website that focuses on the National Football League. Though much of the information on PFT is aggregated from mainstream media sources, site editor Mike Florio [former ESPN editor] often writes original stories based on tips given to him from his network of league sources.

2. www.benmaller.com

In 2006, Ben signed a contract to be the "sports gossip guy," for FoxSports.com, providing daily sports rumors and notes to millions of fans each week. I have been following Ben Maller for a LONG time...he is the man!

3. ESPN Guys

Eric Karbell and Matthew Berry are great, imo. John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli are solid.

4. Rotowire

Greg Rosenthal

5. USA Today

Matt Pitzer

6. Sport Illustrated Guys

Dr. Z

Peter King

7. NFL Netwrok

Adam Schefter

I still enjoy Funston, but that is more for basketball and baseball. I get almost 100% of my fantasy football info from watching football and from reading reports from locals in the message boards. What do the guys above know that we don't? They are just writing their opinions based on the football that they watch. Learn how to watch football correctly and make your own opinions. I just don't feel comfortable relying on other people to make my decisions.

For Fantasy Football?

Karbell and Berry of ESPN I don't like

Pitzer from USA Today is a joke.

I like reading Peter King but he isn't really a fantasy football writer.

I also like Clayton and Pasquerelli but again, not really fantasty football writers.

I have signed a blood pact with DMD and WW in which I will make it to my local league super bowl each year only if I listen to them and the huddle material. If they catch me reading other football related material it gets ugly, like....have you ever seen the movie "Cat's Eye" and the 1 story in Cat's Eye about the guy who is trying to quit smoking? That's pretty much what it is like.

You guys are aware that John Tuvey (2v), TheHuddle's recently hired Senior NFL Analyst, was the 2007 finalist for the Fantasy Sports Writer Association’s Fantasy Football Writer of the Year award. Just thought I'd mention that to ya.

Now that my fondness of 2v is out of the way :D , Greg Rosenthal from Rotowire is exceptional. Adam Schefter is proving to be the most reliable :wacko: news source on tv, let alone his columns kick ass. I find alot of FF writers now-a-days are too fluffy for my taste. Its like there talking to my girlfriend or my 8yr old nephew. I havn't read much of DMD's work, but I have noticed his rankings rival those of other industry leaders.

For Fantasy Football?

Karbell and Berry of ESPN I don't likep in

Pitzer from USA Today is a joke.

I like reading Peter King but he isn't really a fantasy football writer.

I also like Clayton and Pasquerelli but again, not really fantasty football writers.

I love the Huddle, but I can go through all the daily updates in a short time. I guess I wasn't looking for strictly Fantasy writers...but NFL Columinst too.

So none of you Huddlers read other writers? Even for NFL? Hmmm...

Karabell has great perspective and writing style. And imo, I think Berry is one of the best, I don't lean on his picks, but his stuff is very entertaining.

Pitzer is old school. I still think he has good stuff. He bascially has partnered up with Greg Rosethal.

Edited by ChampSampson

I love the Huddle, but I can go through all the daily updates in a short time. I guess I wasn't looking for strictly Fantasy writers...but NFL Columinst too.

So none of you Huddlers read other writers? Even for NFL? Hmmm...

Karabell has great perspective and writing style. And imo, I think Berry is one of the best, I don't lean on his picks, but his stuff is very entertaining.

Pitzer is old school. I still think he has good stuff. He bascially has partnered up with Greg Rosethal.

Nick Canepa and Kevin Acee are great Charger columnists for the SD Union-Tribune.

Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle knows his stuff and usually has a solid take on what's happening with the Texans and around the league. His dad also happens to be the o-line coach for the Steelers. Zierlein also has outstanding college draft info as well.

Rick Gosselin of the Dallas paper does some good stuff as well. His speciality is his breakdown of special teams, which usually comes after the season.

If you're a member of the Scout.com network (it's usually associated with your local fan publication; in Minnesota, for example, it's Vikings Update), the Vikings "beat" guys are very solid. I do some radio work with one of them and he knows his stuff; as an added bonus, he's a fantasy guy (does some stuff on the side for Guru, I believe) so he brings that to the table more than perhaps the beat guys for the Pioneer Press or Star Tribune (the local papers) do.

Hope that helps

2V

You guys are aware that John Tuvey (2v), TheHuddle's recently hired Senior NFL Analyst, was the 2007 finalist for the Fantasy Sports Writer Association’s Fantasy Football Writer of the Year award. Just thought I'd mention that to ya.

Now that my fondness of 2v is out of the way :D , Greg Rosenthal from Rotowire is exceptional. Adam Schefter is proving to be the most reliable :wacko: news source on tv, let alone his columns kick ass. I find alot of FF writers now-a-days are too fluffy for my taste. Its like there talking to my girlfriend or my 8yr old nephew. I havn't read much of DMD's work, but I have noticed his rankings rival those of other industry leaders.

Eeeeeasy there Taz...you don't want to be making your boy Jonathan Stewart jealous now, do ya?

:D

:D

Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle knows his stuff and usually has a solid take on what's happening with the Texans and around the league. His dad also happens to be the o-line coach for the Steelers. Zierlein also has outstanding college draft info as well.

Rick Gosselin of the Dallas paper does some good stuff as well. His speciality is his breakdown of special teams, which usually comes after the season.

If you're a member of the Scout.com network (it's usually associated with your local fan publication; in Minnesota, for example, it's Vikings Update), the Vikings "beat" guys are very solid. I do some radio work with one of them and he knows his stuff; as an added bonus, he's a fantasy guy (does some stuff on the side for Guru, I believe) so he brings that to the table more than perhaps the beat guys for the Pioneer Press or Star Tribune (the local papers) do.

Hope that helps

2V

Thanks J2V! I look forward to getting to "know" you this year. Regards, Champ.

I agree wholeheartedly with Seahawks21. Forming your own opinion is the best way to go. The way I'd suggest using these writers, as well as The Huddle, is to provide a take on something you haven't seen (or don't have an opportunity to see), or maybe someone who sees something differently than you do. Then figure out why they see it differently, and if their point has any validity.

I love when guys come to my draft and are working straight off a published cheat sheet; I know exactly what they're going to do next and can beat them to the punch. What I've seen in my short time here at the Huddle, especially in these forums, is that folks will come with an informed opinion and (for the most part) an open mind. They'll defend their position tenaciously but are also open to ways to improve their squad and validate/update their opinions and rankings.

But you have to have good information (garbage in, garbage out), which is where beat (and other) writers come into play. And, obviously, you'll learn that some opinions are more informed and more accurate than others—such as, for example, DMD's.

Just my two cents...

2V

butt kisser.

:wacko:

Honestly DMD is one of the few that comes to mind. Greg Kellogg as well. Both have been doing it a long time and have a superior mix of NFL/FF knowlege and writing ability. I'm sure there are others, but to be honest I don't read much as far as FF articles go these days...mostly just things regarding "current events" now.

For solely FF DMD was a pioneer on-line and continues to provide quality content. John Hansen and Adam Caplan are quite good as well. Mike Florio (of pro football talk) is generally pretty informative too.

yes, the two dudes from Sirius Fantasy Football show are pretty good.

I still enjoy Funston, but that is more for basketball and baseball. I get almost 100% of my fantasy football info from watching football and from reading reports from locals in the message boards. What do the guys above know that we don't? They are just writing their opinions based on the football that they watch. Learn how to watch football correctly and make your own opinions. I just don't feel comfortable relying on other people to make my decisions.

Yeah, for sure. You can't just take something from a blogger or columnist and run with it, gotta use your head. The benefit to reading these things is that most people can't watch every game, can't read every training camp report and can't dig through a ton of information to try and find a hidden gem. So in addition to reading their opinions for a new spin on something, I can rely on them doing hours of research to give me a paragraph to read in 20 seconds :wacko:

The problem with getting too dependent on writers is that they are trying to write something that will interest people. No one wants to read a column or blog that is full or stuff that is already widely known. But an article about LT being a bust or one that says Leinart finishes the season as a top 5 QB will normally catch someone's eye. The problem is, while those things could happen, they probably will not. But you get someone who reads it and figures that they should pass on LT as #1 pick and take Brady instead.

FF writers can be a great source of information (and a way to pass the last few hours of work before the weekend) but you gotta use your head.