[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers/Vikes

HowboutthemCowboys

Just watched the game again in fast-forward mode, and here are my thoughts:

- The starting offensive line played terribly. Here was my assessment from worst to best.

Kendall Simmons - No excuse for him to play like this. He is their 2nd most experience and 2nd most talented on this line. He was completely destroyed all night long. He should be embarassed.

Willie Colon - This guy shows spurts of being solid, but, last night, he was abused around the corner. He should be embarassed.

Chris Keomateu - Lazy, lazy, lazy. The guy initially blocks well, but, then it is like he assumes the play is over, and stops giving maximum effort. With Ben and his mobility and playmaking ability, you MUST block until the whistle. Hopefully, this is correctable.

Justin Hartwig - He actually played only slightly below average, which is better than the God-awful performance of those listed above.

Marvel Smith - At this point, he is the only guy who looks like a guy worth of starting in the NFL.

- Roethlisberger was not sharp. For the first time this year, he was inaccurate on some of his throws. In his defense, he was running for his life and still did a good job of making something out of nothing a few times. I'm not too concerned about his poor performance.

- Willie Parker was running hard and getting as much as he could, which usually wasn't much, on his carries. He is much better than Mendenhall right now at getting low and grinding out a yard or two when nothing is there. With this O-Line that will be a necessity.

- Mendenhall had his best game, if you can look past his two fumbles, which hopefully he can correct. He had one great run where the hole was filled, and he bounced outside. Once again, when he has some room, his impressive abilities come through. He just has a lot to learn yet, and it may take more time than most expected or hoped for.

- Limas Sweed played much better. He did drop one ball, but, made up for it with some clutch catches in the 2nd half.

- Byron Leftwich probably secured his spot on the team, at least until Batch returns, with his performance last night. The man does have an absolute cannon. it is a shame he is so immobile and has such a slow release due to his windup. He also doesn't put a lot of touch on his short passes, as he seems to cannon every pass. As good as he looked, I'm scared to have him playing behind our first offensive line.

- The 1st team defense played very well, after a poor performance last week, which was nice to see. The numbers might not end up better than last year, where they ranked 1st in the NFL, but, those who watched closely saw that the defense got worse and worse as the season went on. Timmons & Woodley will improve this defense a great deal with their ability to get pressure on the QB.

- I've said it many times, Lawrence Timmons is a superstar in the making. He makes several plays, and is even impressive when he comes close with some of his pressures. The guys plays full speed and hits like a truck. I'm not sure what the numbers will be like this year, but, he is the real deal.

- It is going to be very tough to run on the Steelers again this year. How good they are against the pass will depend entirely on what kind of pressure they can bring. Their secondary is decent, but, not pheonomenal enough to lock up coverage when there is no pressure on the QB.

- Jeff Reed looked like his normal self again after missing a field goal last week. The kick coverage was pretty good.

- The Minnesota Vikings defense is just plain NASTY. They are extremely physical, and I really enjoy watching their defense play. If their offense can produce, which is a big question mark for me, they will be a Super Bowl contender.