[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most INSANE pick you've seen this year?

muck

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While all these picks above are awful, Duckett is like the 4th RB in DET ... he's not anywhere close to being a starter.

That'd be like picking Tyler Thigpen, QB, KC in the 3rd round ... or picking Terrance Copper, WR, NO in the 3rd round ... etc ...

He took Philip Rivers and Vince Young when guys like Delhomme, Garrard, Hasslebeck, Cutler, Kitna, Campbell, etc. were still on the board.

Well, now I think you're piling on: I'd rate Rivers (not Young) over the bolded guys and put him in the same category as Delhomme. Campbell is intriguing this year so I'm not sure how far below Rivers he might be.

While all these picks above are awful, Duckett is like the 4th RB in DET ... he's not anywhere close to being a starter.

That'd be like picking Tyler Thigpen, QB, KC in the 3rd round ... or picking Terrance Copper, WR, NO in the 3rd round ... etc ...

Duckett is in Seattle, but a roster spot is not secure.

Right, and he's the biggest back they've got so he might get short yardage work. It's not a good pick... but it's not 4th string Detroit bad.

Right, and he's the biggest back they've got so he might get short yardage work. It's not a good pick... but it's not 4th string Detroit bad.

I have a hard time seeing too many scenarios where getting the 3rd string player at any position in the third round is a better pick than getting the #1 at any position in the first round.

I have a hard time seeing too many scenarios where getting the 3rd string player at any position in the third round is a better pick than getting the #1 at any position in the first round.

It's not a good pick... but it's not 4th string Detroit bad.

Two separate scenarios..same draft

We have an auction with $100 cap for the first 95 players, then snake draft for the remainder of your roster. Auction/draft take place on conference call as owners are from 8 different states. Bidding is fast and can be hectic due to shouting from different voices coming out over the call. Commish just calls out the highest $$ amount until a winner is declared then announce the team name that won.

Team #7 has 2 owners..best friends for years..but living in separate states due to a recent move...bidding on APeterson started off at $30 and they bid against one another up to $46!! LOL. It wasn't until Commish announced the owner's team that anyone even realized that they were the final bidders for the last $12. Hysterical. We wouldn't let them take it back just for being idiots!!

Same team...1st round of the draft...they debate via cell phones with one another, take the full allotment of time, then proudly announce "TRAVIS HENRY, STARTING RB FOR THE DENVER BRONCOS"!!! They thought they'd happened on a diamond that no one else had noticed!!

We're gonna laugh about that draft for awhile.

All of these were from the same 14 team draft I did yesterday:

live draft today. Guy picking 7th takes Big Ben in the 2nd and Matt Hasselback in the 3rd. :wacko:

Hasselbeck - 1.13

I was at a local draft yesterday and one guy picked McFadden with his 1.12 pick. He drafted Felix Jones with his 3.12 pick. Then I remembered he lives in Little Rock, Arkansas.

McFadden - 1.3

I heard somewhere that somebody took Ricky Williams in the 6th

Ricky WIlliams - 3.07

But by far the worst pick of this draft (the same guy that took Hasselbeck and Crayton at 4.02) - CEDRIC BENSON @ 8.02 :D

Tony Romo at 1.03 ahead of Addai, SJax, Brady, etc...

Not a totla trainwreck pick though - a la Duckett in the 3rd round.

If you believe he's the #1 QB this year - and there is good reason to think that - then this isn't outlandish. Just kinda silly.

Not a totla trainwreck pick though - a la Duckett in the 3rd round.

If you believe he's the #1 QB this year - and there is good reason to think that - then this isn't outlandish. Just kinda silly.

Yeah, at least in my leagues, TDs are 6, 9 and 12 points, based on yardage... even for QBs. I took Moss #5.

couple of days ago, a person draft shaun alexander in late pick. Rest of us went "huh??" :wacko:

He and Benson were picked late in an IBL draft. I don't consider those picks bad,

May as well swing for the fences in the last 2 rounds versus grabbing a second keeker and defense.

A co-worker just showed me his draft from last night 1.8 Minnesota Defense. :wacko:
Without a context of what their scoring is, that doesn't mean a whole lot. In one league I'm in, overall defenses can be one of the most valuable "player" on the team. That league has very non-standard scoring though. Even in my other league where scoring is only slightly modified, last year's top defense (SD) was the 14th most valuable pick over the season. Sure it's not a sexy pick but it's not necessarily a insane pick either.

Without a context of what their scoring is, that doesn't mean a whole lot. In one league I'm in, overall defenses can be one of the most valuable "player" on the team. That league has very non-standard scoring though. Even in my other league where scoring is only slightly modified, last year's top defense (SD) was the 14th most valuable pick over the season. Sure it's not a sexy pick but it's not necessarily a insane pick either.

Um - yes it is and here's why.

Take your scoring system and apply it to last year's Defenses. Now, what is the points per game average between the #1 D and the #12 D (assuming this is a 12 team)?

Do the same with QBs, RBs and WRs. You'll see the difference in the 1&12 D is probably very small compared to the same ranked players at other positions.

Do you want the #1 D or the #8 RB? You pass on the RB at 8, and you're looking at RB#14 (assuming a serpentine) whi is no doubt WELL below the per game average of even the #6 RB. Meanwhile, you can pass on D's all draft long and grab one in the 7th or 8th and suffer a 3-4 point loss per game compared to the guy who took Minny at 1.08. Meanwhile, his position players blow and he has to get lucky with a sleeper or reach to be relevant.