[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Traded down from #6

Junkyard

Not looking for a "rate my team." Have seen some questions on the boards about which way to go with the #6, #7, and #8 spots, so I thought this might be of interest to others. Wanted to share something I tried yesterday, based on Paul Sandy's article in the draft kit regarding draft day trades.

10 team PPR non-keeper league, and I had the #6 pick. Must start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, and a flex, plus a TE, K, DEF.

First 5 picks were LT, Jackson, Westbrook, Addai, and AP (as expected). So now I was looking at Brady, Manning, Gore, or Portis among others at #6. With the QBs a little dinged, and not 100% sold on #6 overall value for the others, I worked out a quick deal with the #10 team (big Patriots fan). My 1st and 5th for his 2nd and 3rd, just as Paul had suggested in his article.

I ended up with:

2.1 - Frank Gore was still on the board, so I grabbed him

2.5 - Tony Romo

3.6 - Reggie Bush (Tier 1 WR already off the board)

3.10 - Ryan Grant

Later rounds I was able to grab Santonio Holmes and Roddy White, plus Brandon Jacobs for some RB depth and spot starts. Expected I would be a little weaker at WR because of the deal, but still think I'm solid. I do think I came out a little better than if I had held onto the original #6 spot.

Just another avenue to consider if you're stuck like I was on what to do in those draft spots.

Not looking for a "rate my team." Have seen some questions on the boards about which way to go with the #6, #7, and #8 spots, so I thought this might be of interest to others. Wanted to share something I tried yesterday, based on Paul Sandy's article in the draft kit regarding draft day trades.

10 team PPR non-keeper league, and I had the #6 pick. Must start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, and a flex, plus a TE, K, DEF.

First 5 picks were LT, Jackson, Westbrook, Addai, and AP (as expected). So now I was looking at Brady, Manning, Gore, or Portis among others at #6. With the QBs a little dinged, and not 100% sold on #6 overall value for the others, I worked out a quick deal with the #10 team (big Patriots fan). My 1st and 5th for his 2nd and 3rd, just as Paul had suggested in his article.

I ended up with:

2.1 - Frank Gore was still on the board, so I grabbed him

2.5 - Tony Romo

3.6 - Reggie Bush (Tier 1 WR already off the board)

3.10 - Ryan Grant

Later rounds I was able to grab Santonio Holmes and Roddy White, plus Brandon Jacobs for some RB depth and spot starts. Expected I would be a little weaker at WR because of the deal, but still think I'm solid. I do think I came out a little better than if I had held onto the original #6 spot.

Just another avenue to consider if you're stuck like I was on what to do in those draft spots.

Sounds like you could have drafted a nice team regardless of what trades you made considering that you seem to be drafting against some poor drafters. Ryan Grant at pick 30 is later than you're going to get him. Whichever you took next between Holmes and Jacobs also fell later than you should expect and the other was a joke considering that you didn't have a 5th round pick. That means you got either B Jacobs or S Holmes with the 6th pick of the 6th round. That's a complete joke.

I would have taken Moss and hoped Owens would fall to me on the way back. Then you would have the 2 best WR in the game.

JMO

ditto Moss (don't think TO would last to 2nd) but having TO and Moss wouln't suck as you see you got grant etc.. in later rounds.

Edited by rai

Sounds like you could have drafted a nice team regardless of what trades you made considering that you seem to be drafting against some poor drafters. Ryan Grant at pick 30 is later than you're going to get him. Whichever you took next between Holmes and Jacobs also fell later than you should expect and the other was a joke considering that you didn't have a 5th round pick. That means you got either B Jacobs or S Holmes with the 6th pick of the 6th round. That's a complete joke.

You nailed it... Got Holmes in Round 4, and couldn't believe Jacobs was still hanging out there in the 6th. Didn't even hesitate, even only having one WR.

I would have taken Moss and hoped Owens would fall to me on the way back. Then you would have the 2 best WR in the game.

JMO

Appreciate the feedback. Moss went #7 right after Brady in my original slot. Also set off the guy I traded with because he was shooting for the Brady/Moss tandem. Talked to himself for the next two rounds - Life happens.

Good thought about TO. He was gone by the time 2.5 came around where I would have been on the fence between him and Romo.

So who did the guy traded with end up drafting for a team... I assume he took Brady at 1.6 but what did the rest ofhis draft look like?

Also, I guess hindsite being 20-20 you could have gotten Moss and another top Wr or Romo, Grant, Bush, Holmes plus your 5th and Jacobs without trading.

Edited by T-Scorp

If you don't like the RB's available at the 6th spot, I'd trade down and get another 2nd and 3rd if I could....that still means a decent RB (probably same caliber of the one you were going to get anyways) along with 2 good WR's or a WR/RB....

my goal has been to try and get Thomas Jones in the 3rd or 4th while I stack on WR's with earlier picks along with a RB....but I've failed to do so in every draft so far (recently he went the pick right before me)...

but I think getting him along with a RB earlier and a couple top WR's is the best way to go if you're trading down or not taking a RB 1st....