[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houston RB Situation

Cunning Runt

Chrissy Brown is hurt. She has an aching back....PMS maybe?

Green's groin has been a problem since the very first play of the very first preseason game & hasn't been seen since.

Slaton is nursing a case of turf toe that he suffered in the most recent preseason game. Reports are it's minor turf toe, if there is such a thing.

Taylor is flip flopping between FB & RB, but is at least healthy & has looked ok. Not great or anything, but at least adequate.

They signed former Denver bronco RB Mike Bell, then promptly cut him for being out of shape.

They signed Marcell Shipp a couple of weeks ago & so far, he's still on the team.

Thanks - looking for something a bit more current - 2 weeks old at this time of year is ancient history.

In a nutshell, I won Slaton and Taylor in my auction draft. I didn't get a kicker but have until the first regular season game to tweak my roster and pick one up. I'm leaning towards one of these two guys to release, but everything I've gleaned off the Huddle suggests to me that it's going to end up being one of these two as the starter - most likely Slaton. The turf toe thing obviously sucks so now I feel like I've got to keep Taylor too. The Shipp thing is unwelcome for sure 'cause that has the makings of a "Shipp steals the starter's role at the 11th hour" written all over it.

I'm hoping that in between now and maybe a week from now, a clearer picture will emerge. Once it does, I'll make a roster move accordingly.

I like Slaton... I can see him being this year's Ryan Grant. He may not get the starting gig from the off but I think he fits Houston's blocking scheme REALLY well, ala Ryan Grant in Green Bay. At the very least he's going to be involved on 3rd downs and in the return game too.

I like Slaton... I can see him being this year's Ryan Grant. He may not get the starting gig from the off but I think he fits Houston's blocking scheme REALLY well, ala Ryan Grant in Green Bay. At the very least he's going to be involved on 3rd downs and in the return game too.

Slaton went to HS around my area...he's seriously a a tasty morsel and lacks heart....

Slaton has turf toe that will only get worse if he tries to come back before week 3...he draws no comparison to Ryan Grant...

Slaton = fools gold

Slaton went to HS around my area...he's seriously a a tasty morsel and lacks heart....

Slaton has turf toe that will only get worse if he tries to come back before week 3...he draws no comparison to Ryan Grant...

Slaton = fools gold

:wacko:

Green's groin has been a problem since the very first play of the very first preseason game & hasn't been seen since.

Not so, per KFFL:

Texans | Green works out Monday

Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:01:00 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans RB Ahman Green (groin) worked out Monday, Aug. 25. He is not expected to play in the team's preseason game Thursday, Aug. 28, but is expected to be ready for Week 1.

Not so, per KFFL:

Texans | Green works out Monday

Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:01:00 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans RB Ahman Green (groin) worked out Monday, Aug. 25. He is not expected to play in the team's preseason game Thursday, Aug. 28, but is expected to be ready for Week 1.

Ready for what?

There is nothing to report here until we at least see who is on the field to start week 1. Which ever one is last on your draft board is the guy you take. He has about a good of a shot as any other guy there. Heck, all the veterans have played well at times as a starter, and all the young guys have shown flashes of both talent and potential holes in their game. It sounds like Green is going to get a chance to start the season. I doubt he will perform well and my bet is that the young guys get a shot next, most likely Slaton. If you think Green or Slaton willl play welll, go ahead and take them, but i think getting Chris Brown or Marcel Shipp with your last pick is a better value.

Edited by Seahawks21

My money is on Chris Brown. It might be once the season starts due to his ouchies but I think that he has the most talent in this backfield.

I think he has alot of talent but he is so injury prone. I usually dont peg people with the injury prone tag but this guy is something else. He has had so many different injuries.

I think Green stays healthy for the most part, making him a steal in most redraft leagues. He can be had very late, sometimes after Brown, Slaton, and even Walker. But Kubiak has said they are being patient waiting on Green and will get the opportunity to be the lead man once he comes back.

I think Slaton has some long term value and wouldn't mind seeing him get some time as the #1 RB in Houston, but I don't think his role will be much more than a 3rd down CoP guy this season.

One thing I don't get is Green being knocked down so far, while Brown hasn't really. I mean neither are a model of consistency as far as injuries go, but what has Brown done that he deserves to go higher? :wacko:

I think Green stays healthy for the most part, making him a steal in most redraft leagues. He can be had very late, sometimes after Brown, Slaton, and even Walker. But Kubiak has said they are being patient waiting on Green and will get the opportunity to be the lead man once he comes back.

I think Slaton has some long term value and wouldn't mind seeing him get some time as the #1 RB in Houston, but I don't think his role will be much more than a 3rd down CoP guy this season.

One thing I don't get is Green being knocked down so far, while Brown hasn't really. I mean neither are a model of consistency as far as injuries go, but what has Brown done that he deserves to go higher? :wacko:

Brown is younger and has talent he just gets injured so damn much. A Green is on a steep decline due to age and injury.

I live in Houston and listened to the Kubiak show on radio on the way home last night. Here is a summary....

Brown- Big time in doghouse. Back problems most likely chronic for year. Kubiak sounded real down on him. I think he is out of the picture.

Taylor- Coach is very high on him. Will see reps.

Slaton- Coach is very high on him. Will see reps. Mentioned that he has the home run threat they lacked last year.

Green- Practiced yesterday. Hoping he can stay healthy, sound like Kubiak would still limit time even when healthy.

Walker- Most likey a no factor for this year.

Summary... Kubiak basically came out and said they would rotate alot this year. Look for a split between Green, Taylor, Slaton. He said the Fantasy Football "F" Word, that he wants to keep all RBs "Fresh" this year. Stay away from Brown.

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brown is younger and has talent he just gets injured so damn much. A Green is on a steep decline due to age and injury.

Brown is 4 years younger, but remember tha Ahman didnt start until his third season. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Brown is that much more talented than Green either. He has had one, count em, ONE 1000 yard season in his career. Even that season he barely got there.

Even when healthy, his career average is only 51.09 YPG and .29 TD PG.

You could say that he may turn over a new leaf this year. But then again, he has been injured all through camp and only went 8 carries for 19 yards in preseason. Add that to the fact that he as NEVER PLAYED A FULL SEASON, and I have enough reason to doubt he will do much this year.

I live in Houston and listened to the Kubiak show on radio on the way home last night. Here is a summary....

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it does. Thanks. Are the 3 going to compete this week? Any word on that?

Brown is 4 years younger, but remember tha Ahman didnt start until his third season. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Brown is that much more talented than Green either. He has had one, count em, ONE 1000 yard season in his career. Even that season he barely got there.

Even when healthy, his career average is only 51.09 YPG and .29 TD PG.

You could say that he may turn over a new leaf this year. But then again, he has been injured all through camp and only went 8 carries for 19 yards in preseason. Add that to the fact that he as NEVER PLAYED A FULL SEASON, and I have enough reason to doubt he will do much this year.

4 Years is alot in NFL. I never said Brown is more talented thant Green, I said Brown does have talent.

Yes it does. Thanks. Are the 3 going to compete this week? Any word on that?

Kubiak said he thought Green would see some playing time this week, if he continues to progress. Taylor will see some reps and Slation will be limited because of turf toe. He did say Walker would see alot of time. Doubtful Brown can go, said he is not responding to treatment.

Well, we can scratch Chrissy Brown from this discussion,,,

Texans placed RB Chris Brown (back) on injured reserve, ending his her season.

An MRI may have shown structural damage to Brown's back. The 27-year-old is easily one of the league's most injury prone players. If he recovers, perhaps Houston will release Brown with an injury settlement. The Texans' lone remaining tailbacks are Ahman Green, Steve Slaton, and Chris Taylor. Aug. 30 - 3:57 pm et

Source: Houston Chronicle

Chrissy Brown is hurt. She has an aching back....PMS maybe?

Slaton is nursing a case of turf toe that he suffered in the most recent preseason game. Reports are it's minor turf toe, if there is such a thing.

Taylor is flip flopping between FB & RB, but is at least healthy & has looked ok. Not great or anything, but at least adequate.

They signed former Denver bronco RB Mike Bell, then promptly cut him for being out of shape.

They signed Marcell Shipp a couple of weeks ago & so far, he's still on the team.

Nine-year veteran DE/LB Rosevelt Colvin and RB Marcel Shipp were among 21 players released by the Houston Texans on Friday in an attempt to reduce the roster to the NFL-mandated 53 players.

For more information, visit Houston Texans.com.

Just a formality, but Schipp was cut. Chris Brown disappoints me. He's almost too tall for a rb, but never realized he's running too upright, making him injury prone when they lay one on him...never drops the shoulders down enough to compensate for that height issue