[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lobster Tails

Rovers

It's been a loooong time since I cooked lobster, and they were live, which I steamed.... but 5 oz tails were on sale for 5 bucks a pop, and now I'm wondering how best to cook em.... grill em? (If so, please say how hot a flame, how high off the flame and how long por favor)

Steamed? Boiled? How would I prep em for any given cooking method? I cook so often... wierd I never did tails before... just not in the budget till now.

I've broiled and grilled them. I can't offer much on the grill since I used gas (med-high) and it sounds like you're going charcoal. IMO, the charcoal flavor is really going to be absorbed by the meat and that might ruin the flavor of the lobster.

Edited by twiley

boil and grill is pretty common. you could saute or poach.

How do I prep em? Boil for how long, cut the underside?, when?, and how long on the grill!?

Tell me like I just discovered fire.... I dont want to screw this up! HELP!

Does this sound about right?

Grilled lobster tails

Insert a wooden skewer into the lobster tails to prevent them from curling on boiling.

Prepare a large saucepan of salted water according to instructions above for boiling lobster tails.

Once the water has reached a fierce boil, drop the tails in and cook for 4 minutes.

Drain the tails and position them on their backs once they have cooled slightly.

With a sharp knife, split the soft top shell of the tail, lengthways down the middle, but leave the hard shell underneath in tact.

Pour some melted butter and lemon juice over the meat of the tails or brush a marinade of lemon juice, olive oil, salt pepper, garlic powder and paprika over the meat and place shell side down into a pre-heated grill.

Grill for approximately 7 - 8 minutes under a medium - hot heat or until the meat is opaque, no longer transparent and firm to the touch.

If you wish, you may turn the tails over half way through cooking.

Remove from the grill and serve hot with lemon, melted butter or mayonnaise

I only have metal skewers... is that a problem?

I think the boil/grill will result in overcooked rubbery meat unless the boil is very short or the tails are frozen.

I'd go with grilled over med-high if thawed and boiled/steamed if frozen.

yeah, the boil is fast. just to par-cook it. finish on grill or in oven.

and rovers... that meathod you posted is fine. you are worrying too much about it. med- med/high heat is fine. i have used skewers with shrimp, but don't with lobster tails. big thing is not to cook them too long.