[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homemade spaghetti sauce

Puddy

I have about a dozen large garden tomatioes that I need to do something with. I'm thinking I'll make my own sauce (gravy to Whomper). Any great recipes?

i know there are some in whomper's gravy thread from several years back

I have about a dozen large garden tomatioes that I need to do something with. I'm thinking I'll make my own sauce (gravy to Whomper). Any great recipes?

Here is mine... for a dozen large tomatoes:

Blanche and peel the tomats. Just put them in a collander, submerge in boiling water for one minute... then peel 'em. Peel em over a bowl... whatever "water" comes out goes in the pot. I generally dice my tomats, but you can remove the seeds with a ... I forget what it's called... if you want a sauce that is pureed, a real marinara, with no peices of tomato, but I prefer to use the entire fruit, seeds and all. It's a utensil with a hand crank that purees the tomato and leaves the seeds behind.

Dice some garlic... about 6 cloves. Sautee about 2/3rds of them in olive oil, add to pot with the rest of the raw garlic and the EVO. Take a large onion and slice it, but leave it intact... no loose pieces, just so it has a lot of slits in it and add to pot. The onion gets removed when the sauce is done. I also add a bit of onion powder as well. Salt and pepper to taste. Add anchovie paste, about a teaspoon. No one will ever be able to pick the flavor out, but it really adds a ton of flavor, even for those who hate anchovies. Eyeball the oregano addition. Add one tablespoon sugar. I sprinkle just a bit of crushed, not ground cayenne pepper. Just a pinch or two if folks don't like it spicy. I sometimes add some dried parsley... optional.

I add 8 oz of store bought tomato paste. Since I usually make meatballs and sausage, which I won't go into as far as recipe and cooking, but I do at some point fry the meats, and after draining the fat, I deglaze the pans and add that to the sauce.

Keep it on very low heat, partially covered for 3 hours, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. In the last half hour, add fresh diced basil and meatballs/sausage to the pot. If you like a thicker sauce, you can add some flour and water, just as you would with gravy from a turkey or roast. I generally dont do that. I've had some hardcore Italian americans tell me my "gravy" is as good as grandma's was.... it's the anchovie paste.... trust me on that!