[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Miami Homers - outlook on the WR corps?

Dave Sherman

I'm not a Miami homer, but I keep hearing good things about Ginn jr...

+1

I don't know if I'd consider anyone else, but I'm tempted to pick up Ginn off the WW before he gets popular. I just don't have the room right now. Reports have been positive though.

Edited by Square

I live in Miami. Ginn is getting rave reviews but no one considers him ready to take the step to top 10 WR. He should be a solid WR 2 or WR 3. Last year he wouldn't catch the ball over the middle and all he ran was go routes. This year he is catching all routes. He had some great catches over the middle in the preseason. I wouldn't hesitate to grab him as a 4th WR.

The word is that Ricky is the best skill player the Phins have. He could be a top 10 back based on the reviews. It sounds like he will have much more than 50% of the carries. The Phins just extended his contract. They are obviously concerned about showcasing him this year and then having to pay big bucks in FA.

People say that Hagen has been solid and ready to take the next step. It sounds like he could be decent, but I don't think anyone projects more than 800 yards and 5 or so TDs.

Wilford has been terrible. He doesn't catch the ball. He was brought in to be the big bodied veteran consistent WR. Instead, there was talk about cutting him. He is a distant 3rd on the depth chart but could play a role on the goal line because of his size.

if your needing help from the miami wr corps, your not going to make your fantasy playoffs....hey, i'm just saying...

While there may be some element of truth to this statement, I am trying to fill out a dynasty/cap league roster. We have pretty deep rosters, so anytime you can pick up guys that may have any type of semi-consistent production you have to take a shot.

I live in Miami. Ginn is getting rave reviews but no one considers him ready to take the step to top 10 WR. He should be a solid WR 2 or WR 3. Last year he wouldn't catch the ball over the middle and all he ran was go routes. This year he is catching all routes. He had some great catches over the middle in the preseason. I wouldn't hesitate to grab him as a 4th WR.

The word is that Ricky is the best skill player the Phins have. He could be a top 10 back based on the reviews. It sounds like he will have much more than 50% of the carries. The Phins just extended his contract. They are obviously concerned about showcasing him this year and then having to pay big bucks in FA.

People say that Hagen has been solid and ready to take the next step. It sounds like he could be decent, but I don't think anyone projects more than 800 yards and 5 or so TDs.

Wilford has been terrible. He doesn't catch the ball. He was brought in to be the big bodied veteran consistent WR. Instead, there was talk about cutting him. He is a distant 3rd on the depth chart but could play a role on the goal line because of his size.

Thanks for the info, very helpful...

The situation definitely bears watching as the season develops.

Pennington starting negates Ginn's primary asset - his speed. Pennington simply does not throw even a mediocre deep ball. That will allow CBs to close the cushion on Ginn and probably do a lot of bump & run coverage. His size becomes a liability in bump coverage.

Wilford on the other hand has been demoted, but he's always been a poor practice player who finds another level of play on game day. It drives coaches crazy, but it did have him giving JAX some relatively decent numbers when it counted, but it also limited his opportunities because he had a tough time getting enough game day reps. His problem is finding a way to get onto the field for a decent number of snaps because he practices so poorly. When he's on the field in games days, he just manages to get himself open regularly somehow. He's the type of guy who could help Pennington a lot given Pennington's limited skills.

There's no way to tell right now how any of the MIA WRs will perform. We'e just going to have to watch very carefully in the first couple of weeks.

Miami homer here.

The Dolpins will be a run first team as they look to pound Ricky & Ronnie and their new young offensive line. And while Chad Pennington doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball downfield he does play action with the best of them. I can see him having sucess as teams key on Ricky & Ronnie.

Ginn will be the #1 WR in Miami and definitely worth a roster spot in 12 team leagues

Hagan IMO will be the #2 and a possession WR

Wilford has had a poor camp until the last pre season game where he made some nice cathes.

Devone Bess out of Hawaii has impressed in camp and I can see them using his speed as a slot WR.

They also just claimed Brandon London from the recently cut and crowded NY Giant receiving corps. I'm hearing good things about him from Giant fans who did not want to see him go, but I'm not sure how he fits into the equation yet

If Ginn is available in your league I would definitely put in a claim for him. Not sure of the rest of them yet.

I'm still trying to figure out how Ginn is supposed to catch all these long passes with Pennington at QB...

I hate you for stealing my response....Pennington's arm is the only thing I don't like about Ginn, but I think they'll still find ways to get him the ball regardless..

I hate you for stealing my response....Pennington's arm is the only thing I don't like about Ginn, but I think they'll still find ways to get him the ball regardless..

Not only can Ginn be the homerun threat but he can make alot of catches from slot...dude is fast. I think he can be a Wes Welker type of player (who came from MIA). I have him in a few leagues and can't wait for him to be productive. I am not saying a WR1 but a NICE WR3 for the value.

Not only can Ginn be the homerun threat but he can make alot of catches from slot...dude is fast. I think he can be a Wes Welker type of player (who came from MIA). I have him in a few leagues and can't wait for him to be productive. I am not saying a WR1 but a NICE WR3 for the value.

yeah, he's currently my #3 right now until Marshall comes back..

The reason why Welker has so much room to work underneath is that Moss drags a CB and a S deep. Ginn won't have that luxury, because there isn't a WR on MIA that merits double coverage, and CBs have a much greater margin for error on Pennington getting the ball deep. In other words, if people are expecting Ginn to catch a lot of slants and running with them, they'd better be prepared to see him firmly planted in the sod after a S catches him in the chops immediately after a 7 yd slant. With his size, he'll get killed in that role with this team.

I see him as being very Steve Smithish, getting a lot of YAC

I see him as being very Steve Smithish, getting a lot of YAC

Smith is like a pitbull. Nobody grabs the ball away from him. He reminds me of Michael Jordan, if he doesn't make the catch terrorists are going to kill his family. His drive reminds me of Jordan's.

What is Ginn's personality? Is he a fighter?

I'm still trying to figure out how Ginn is supposed to catch all these long passes with Pennington at QB...

Last I checked he was still an NFL quarterback, and a starting one at that. Methinks you've been listening to too many critics amongst the media. The guy wouldn't still be around if he couldn't chuck it some.

Edited by Cunning Runt

Smith is like a pitbull. Nobody grabs the ball away from him. He reminds me of Michael Jordan, if he doesn't make the catch terrorists are going to kill his family. His drive reminds me of Jordan's.

What is Ginn's personality? Is he a fighter?

Good question. Has he beaten up any teammates that we know of? :wacko:

Last I checked he was still an NFL quarterback, and a starting one at that. Methinks you've been listening to too critics amongst the media. The guy wouldn't still be around if he couldn't chuck it some.

Actually, I'm basing my judgment from actually watching him play. If the guy could play, why would the Jets give him his outright release without trying to get even a 7th round draft pick (hell, DEN just weaseled a 7th rounder out of ATL for Dominic "Captain Cushion" Foxworth) from some team in the NFL who would have used him as a backup?

He can't throw even a moderately decent deep ball. He doesn't force Ds to respect the deep pass, which allowed teams to crowd the LoS on the Jets. Last I checked, Ryan Leaf spent some time getting paid to be in the NFL and I don't think anyone would call him a capabale NFL QB.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Actually, I'm basing my judgment from actually watching him play. If the guy could play, why would the Jets give him his outright release without trying to get even a 7th round draft pick (hell, DEN just weaseled a 7th rounder out of ATL for Dominic "Captain Cushion" Foxworth) from some team in the NFL who would have used him as a backup?

He can't throw even a moderately decent deep ball. He doesn't force Ds to respect the deep pass, which allowed teams to crowd the LoS on the Jets. Last I checked, Ryan Leaf spent some time getting paid to be in the NFL and I don't think anyone would call him a capabale NFL QB.

Ryan Leaf?

Really? You can do better than that BB.

I love how all the :wacko: around here talk about Chad Pennington like he can only throw the ball a maximum of 18 yards. :D

Ginn will be good, and will move into the top 20 WR's NEXT year....worth having around this year, and fo sho in dynasty's.

arm strength is one thing...it's his ability to throw the ball down field late in the game that worries me...

he's touted as one of the weaker QB's in the NFL in regards to arm strength...it's no myth, his arm is weaker than most, he starts because he can read a defense and is accurate....

Ginn is a speedy WR and his strength is going downfield.....but he's going to have to become more of a possession WR to thrive in this offense with Pennington running things...

Ryan Leaf?

Really? You can do better than that BB.

You asserted that just because a player is on an NFL roster that therefore he has to be a capable player. I dispute that. I used an extremely obvious example to show you that you are operating from a false premise. There are a whole lot more examples. Would you like me to cite those, also?