[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is McGahee's Status

BearcatTom

i'm going with rice in a couple of leagues due to his upside. i still don't trust mcgahee's health, as well as his readiness/fitness. it is painful to sit him at home against the bengals, but i have to see that he is full speed before trusting him with a start. even if he goes, i would think he would be limited, giving rice more chances against the soft bengals D.

I have Ray Rice and will be starting him after I found this tidbit on the Ravens website.

On how McGahee will fit back into the offense: “The interesting thing about coaching is you don’t go from February to July to the season. You plan from February or March, but it really is day-to-day. So we’ve been kind of living this thing every day through the offseason and through training camp. So when you’ve got Ray Rice out there practicing and you don’t have Willis McGahee, that’s what you do. That’s what you become. So, Willis is a bonus in my mind, because he hasn’t been practicing anyway. If he gets out there, it’s going to be great to have him out there. We’ve got to go play on Sunday with the guys we’ve got, and we plan on playing very well.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articl...pt-_090308.aspx

According to CBS Sportsline:

Rice could start

Ray Rice, RB BAL

News: The Carroll County Times reports Ravens RB Willis McGahee (left arthroscopic knee surgery) was limited in practice Wednesday. The paper says if McGahee can't go, then rookie Ray Rice will start. McGahee skipped most of the offseason conditioning program and minicamps, raising questions about his dedication and knowledge of the playbook. If he plays, it figures to be extremely limited action. "When you've got Ray Rice out there practicing and you don't have Willis McGahee, that's what you do," Harbaugh said. "That's what you become. So, Willis is a bonus in my mind because he hasn't been practicing anyway. If he gets out there, it's going to be great. We've got to go play on Sunday with the guys we’ve got and we plan on playing very well."

Analysis: Rice could be a solid sleeper in Fantasy leagues for Week 1 with the Bengals run defense not very solid. Keep an eye on McGahee's progress before game time, but for now consider Rice a decent low-end No. 2 option against the Bengals if he's named the starter.

McGahee could be game-time decision

Ravens running back's status unclear for opener, Cameron says

By Jamison Hensley | Baltimore Sun reporter 2:11 PM EDT, September 4, 2008

Ravens running back Willis McGahee could be a game-time decision for Sunday's season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, offensive coordinator Cam Cameron said today.

McGahee, who had arthroscopic surgery on left knee Aug. 11, was sidelined for the entire preseason. He returned to practice this week but has had limited participation.

"You can see that he's getting close," Cameron said. "Whether that'll mean this week or not, I don't know."

"That's the plan, but it all depends on how the knee reacts on Saturday. If it's not ready to go, then it doesn't make any sense to go out there and play on it. So it's about 50-50," McGahee said.

Rice, a second-round pick out of Rutgers, started every game in the preseason, rushing for 146 yards on 26 carries (5.6-yard-per-carry average).

"Obviously, we'll be ready to play without [McGahee]," Cameron said. "But at the same time, we've all seen him play when he's healthy and we know he's special."

I have Rice as well to sort of screw over the McGahee owner / sleeper potential. I think he has a chance for a good game this week but I'm having trouble justifying him instead of SJax, Graham and Young even if McGahee does miss.

I don't think he'll play in the opener or if he does, he will be limited. He hasn't been able to participate in practicing and conditioning and is coming off knee surgery... he needs a few weeks to get himself into shape or he's giong to be off the field again by week 4.