[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need advice on how to correct a major screw up

Puddy

While it is a friendly league it is also a $225 entry fee + transaction costs.

My first thought was to also have him select one of our backups and to trade a similar round pick of his to that team. I actually think it should be from one of the commishes roster (my backup is Olsen the other commishes is Daniels).

I also don't know what you mean by the bolded part :wacko:

I'm just wondering if there is a better option?

Fack him then ....there wont be any easy answer but asking him what he thinks you should do might not be a bad idea because his solution may be less of an issue then you think and if it is to out there then tell him you have to figure out what to do...and lastly you can tell him he should have taken his head out of his ass when he saw TEs flying off the board and that he should have been at the draft too :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would encourage him to trade with another owner for a good TE. he would then need to give up some of the value he got in the other positions by ignoring the TE. i would think that there would be several teams that probably drafted 2 good ones. hopefully there will be some good will there to strike a fair deal given that no one told they guy about the rule change.

You say that you put up a poll or something on the website a few weeks before your draft, but that not everyone voted. I would see if you emailed the poll out to everyone. If you did and the owner disregarded it then he is partially to blame for not asking "what happened with the whole mandatory TE vote?". That in conjunction with the number of TEs that were drafted should have clued in this guy that you had passed the new rule. You would think he would have seen the poll when he logged on to do the draft and would have asked. I would let him drop/add for no fee.

If he was never emailed the poll and for some reason (travels all the time, or doesn't have regular access to a computer) didn't ever know that your league was considering adding a mandatory TE, then it is your fault at Commissioner for making the new rule without including everyone. Give him your TE and you pick someone off waivers, or make a trade.

in a 14 team league there are going to be some teams with crappy TEs anyway. This guy should be able to pick someone up with some upside off the waiver that is comparable.

In a league that mandates a player from all positions must be in the starting line-up, the commish should never have allowed his last pick to stand. Anyone in position capped leagues can also understand. I drafted in one for the first time (MSHB II) this year. You can only draft so many players at each position. Same idea here. If you MUST start a TE, then the Commish should not have let him leave the draft without one. The only thing to do at this point is void the final pick and he gets to pick whatever is left. From there, he can use his extra WR or RB that he shouldn't have had were he drafting knowing he needed a TE, to trade for a TE from someone that got a better 2nd than they should have had all 14 teams been drafting correctly. (Wow, that hurts my head :wacko: )

Bottom line, void last pick, he gets choice of whatever FA he wants, after that he's on his own. And next year, he'll be on time.

I strongly disagree with your stance. There can be a variety of reasons that cause an owner to draft remotely. He drafted his own team even though he was not physically present. As NOT A SINGLE OWNER thought it was relevant to tell the owner that was not present that he would be requried to start a TE they all realized a small benefit. What benefit? The level of TE available for them to draft and a starter and as a back up was just a little bit better. It was a poor job by the commissioner to be sure ... but each and every owner at the draft also came up short. Giving the guy some scrub left over that none of the other teams even wanted as their backup TE is the FARTHEST thing from being fair. What if his last 2 picks were his only place kicker and only defense? Would you void his last pick and make his roster invalid again? Would you drop his third from last pick?

The only fair thing to do is to give him an average TE score. You mention that half the league will consider this unfair each week ... they can be reminded that they also could have filled in the new owner about the TE requirement.

I'm in full agreement with Blitz on this one.

The guy was still responsible for knowing what's going on in his league. There was a league vote prior, unless there was no e-mail, nothing, the guy is at his own fault. That much money, you can bet I'd know whats going on in my league. I don't see an excuse nor penalizing the rest of the league, all live and learn. Who's to say how he would have drafted had he payed attention? 2nd best TE? 14th? who knows? Geez, I didn't pay attention, and I wasn't going to get who I wanted by the time I noticed who was drafting who where, give me the league average instead.

I agree with blitz's reasoning but not necessarily his solution. Averaging TE scoring does a disservice to him and the league.

What about offering him the opportunity to play a non TE mandatory roster each week. Punishes you for not properly publishing the rules and allows him to play his roster as drafted. Besides, will his 3rd or 4th RB/WR be that far superior or inferior to a #1 TE's scoring?

In a league that mandates a player from all positions must be in the starting line-up, the commish should never have allowed his last pick to stand. Anyone in position capped leagues can also understand. I drafted in one for the first time (MSHB II) this year. You can only draft so many players at each position. Same idea here. If you MUST start a TE, then the Commish should not have let him leave the draft without one. The only thing to do at this point is void the final pick and he gets to pick whatever is left. From there, he can use his extra WR or RB that he shouldn't have had were he drafting knowing he needed a TE, to trade for a TE from someone that got a better 2nd than they should have had all 14 teams been drafting correctly. (Wow, that hurts my head :wacko: )

Bottom line, void last pick, he gets choice of whatever FA he wants, after that he's on his own. And next year, he'll be on time.

Not all leagues have a cap of each position that can be drafted. I also know a number of leagues that do not require you to draft all positions. Some friends don't draft a kicker, especially if their draft is early. They pick an extra RB/WR at the end and then drop a sleeper who hasn't panned out before the first game to pick up their K.

Now that would piss me off if I used my 2nd round pick to draft Witten and ended up Zach Miller. Using the average score only affects one game per week, anything else completely compromises the entire league. JMHO.

Yeah you can't alter the draft ... that would be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Those owners that took top TEs, like Witten, sacraficed at the other positions to get a top TE ... no way can you retroactively swap out his top TE for a scrub TE.

The just isn't a "clean" solution here. You can simply require this owner drops one of his players and pick up an undrafted scrub. I assure you if you did this to me I would demand my money back or if I hadn't paid you wouldn't be seeing a check. It would also be my last year in the league. This owner did not know there was a TE requirement it is not fair to penalize him for his ignorance. While it is true that the owner did not have the option to draft an above average TE the overall strength of the rest of his team should be a bit better as a result. He gets the advantage of not having to cover a bye week and getting a level, consistent production from his TE spot.

The idea of requiring him to trade for a TE is not palatable either. He has to trade from a position of weakness and if this league is like my local it is incredibly hard to swing any trade. Additionally I suspect the other owners would place more value on their TEs than was truely warranted.

I agree with blitz's reasoning but not necessarily his solution. Averaging TE scoring does a disservice to him and the league.

What about offering him the opportunity to play a non TE mandatory roster each week. Punishes you for not properly publishing the rules and allows him to play his roster as drafted. Besides, will his 3rd or 4th RB/WR be that far superior or inferior to a #1 TE's scoring?

I expect this would be a problem with any software package where roster requirements are input. Additionally it assumes that TE scoring is the same as WR scoring. Many leagues give TEs more points per reception and more points per yard than WRs. So the team could be at a disadvantage in that they did not have an opportunity to at least get one of the top 10 to 12 TEs.

It is also possible that his 4th WR is better than all but 5 or 6 of the TEs and that doesn't seem appropriate either.

I also believe that he has an advantage in not having to maintain a roster spot for a TE and doesn't have to manage a TE bye week. Some of the owners will have two TEs on their rosters so they can retain their top TE and cover an off week.

You guys didn't tell him, no way to hold him accountable.

Allow him to play a 3rd receiver as a tight end. You will have to hand calculate his results every week, but YOU, Mr. Commissioner should have told him.

The fairest way would be to get everyone together today and redraft with the same pick order. Or have everyone turn in thier TEs and run a TE-only draft. The guy without TE would have to drop one or two of his receivers.

Maybe you could redraft and run a 1 week shorter season.

It is indeed a cluster and unfortunately, you own it.

Is there roadside assistance for FF? :wacko:

You guys didn't tell him, no way to hold him accountable.

Allow him to play a 3rd receiver as a tight end. You will have to hand calculate his results every week, but YOU, Mr. Commissioner should have told him.

The fairest way would be to get everyone together today and redraft with the same pick order. Or have everyone turn in thier TEs and run a TE-only draft. The guy without TE would have to drop one or two of his receivers.

Maybe you could redraft and run a 1 week shorter season.

It is indeed a cluster and unfortunately, you own it.

Is there roadside assistance for FF? :wacko:

No a re-draft is not fair either as owners have effectively shown their hands.

You can't have everybody "turn in" their TEs either as those that took top TEs early sacrificed strength at other positions to take a top TE. So somebody may have passed on a WR like Roy Williams to take Jason Witten. After you "re-do" the TEs he has Donald Lee and a WR like Jabar Gaffney. On the flip side somebody that waited until late to grab Donald Lee gets rewarded with Jason Witten. Uhm no.

That much money, you can bet I'd know whats going on in my league. I don't see an excuse nor penalizing the rest of the league, all live and learn. Who's to say how he would have drafted had he payed attention?

BINGO. All of the 'well, you have to give him XYZ opportunity' people are forgetting that he had the same opportunity everyone else had to know about it. Maybe the commish could have tried harder or timed it better, but they had ONE owner who didn't know in a pretty damn big money league. He gets to pick up his favorite TE of the ones that remain on the WW, and drop another player. Period.

Peace

policy

I expect this would be a problem with any software package where roster requirements are input.

I'm sure it would, but typically a commisioner should be able to work around that in any good system. Just take a little extra work which I think should be done.

Additionally it assumes that TE scoring is the same as WR scoring. Many leagues give TEs more points per reception and more points per yard than WRs. So the team could be at a disadvantage in that they did not have an opportunity to at least get one of the top 10 to 12 TEs.

It is also possible that his 4th WR is better than all but 5 or 6 of the TEs and that doesn't seem appropriate either.

All of that is of course possible. And while not left to chance since the league rules dictate one way or another how scoring breaks down, at least it is left up to the play which takes place on the field instead of some cockeyed average rule. Whenever possible, I would prefer to win or lose a game based on my gameday decision on who to play, not some formula derived by the league commish to keep things fair for the league.

I also believe that he has an advantage in not having to maintain a roster spot for a TE and doesn't have to manage a TE bye week. Some of the owners will have two TEs on their rosters so they can retain their top TE and cover an off week.

Yes, but that seems like a pretty minimal issue to me when it is the league who is at fault for creating the situation, imo.

I guess if you did go with an average of TE scoring, I would still want some element of randomness to it. What if you were to take the high and low score of TE's that week and then do a random dice roll where the parameters of the roll would be that it has to fall within that range of scores?

I guess if you did go with an average of TE scoring, I would still want some element of randomness to it. What if you were to take the high and low score of TE's that week and then do a random dice roll where the parameters of the roll would be that it has to fall within that range of scores?

I think that that is a pretty cool idea. :wacko:

BINGO. All of the 'well, you have to give him XYZ opportunity' people are forgetting that he had the same opportunity everyone else had to know about it. Maybe the commish could have tried harder or timed it better, but they had ONE owner who didn't know in a pretty damn big money league. He gets to pick up his favorite TE of the ones that remain on the WW, and drop another player. Period.

Peace

policy

He "had the same opportunity every one else had to know" ... how exactly is that true?

He STARTED the draft by selecting LT on the phone.

He hung up the phone.

The league held a vote and decided to require a TE.

He called in to make his next selection and was not told about the vote.

Did he know they were going to have a vote before he hung up? If he was told before he hung up that they would be voting on the TE requirement rule then he shares responsibility for not asking. If he was not told I believe it is reasonable for him to assume the RULES HAVE NOT CHANGED since he made his first pick.

This is a tough one to solve. Here's my idea that seems to be a compromise. Let him pick up two TE's off the waiver wire and effectively allow him an extra roster spot for the year (must keep at least two TE on roster at all times). So while he's getting screwed a bit by having to pick up a waiver wire TE, the extra roster spot balances that out.

He "had the same opportunity every one else had to know" ... how exactly is that true?

Everyone else knew, didn't they? I agree that Puddy absolutely should have sent out an email or organized an owners' meeting and/or con call for a major rule change in a 15-year-running league. But if I were playing in a league for that kind of money, I sure as hell would poke in at the website some time before the draft. Dude didn't, dude didn't show for the draft, nuts to him.

Peace

policy

No a re-draft is not fair either as owners have effectively shown their hands.

You can't have everybody "turn in" their TEs either as those that took top TEs early sacrificed strength at other positions to take a top TE. So somebody may have passed on a WR like Roy Williams to take Jason Witten. After you "re-do" the TEs he has Donald Lee and a WR like Jabar Gaffney. On the flip side somebody that waited until late to grab Donald Lee gets rewarded with Jason Witten. Uhm no.

All very good points.