[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We Are..............

Menudo

O.k. It is early, but, I'm pretty excited. The defense will give up some points this year, but, their offense looks phenomenal. They've got tons of weapons and a great, veteran offensive line. Daryl Clark looks a lot like Michael Robinson, but, with a more accurate arm.

As happy as I am to see this, it also makes me angry. Paterno had Morelli in there losing games for them, while two talented QB's like Clark and Devlin sat and watched. Evan Royster was also there best RB last year, and he sat and watched. Paterno's loyalty to upperclassmen has cost this program. I love the guy, but, there is no excuse for guys like Larry Johnson & Michael Robinson waiting until their Sr. Year to get serious playing time.

I am cautiously optimistic. The Illinois game will tell the tale of how good this team really is. I'm also a touch concerned that we are going through D linemen the way that Imelda Marcos goes through shoes.

I am cautiously optimistic. The Illinois game will tell the tale of how good this team really is. I'm also a touch concerned that we are going through D linemen the way that Imelda Marcos goes through shoes.

I'm not convinced that our D Line or secondary are top notch. However, I do think Penn State has the offense to keep up with almost anyone. Time will tell. The games that worry me the most are Illinois at home, Ohio State & Wisconsin on the road. Purdue could be a challenge as well, as they can spread out and throw the ball, which can work against the PSU defense.

On another note, I coached Jared Odrick in high school (assistant coach). It is great to see him succeeding, as he is a great kid.

O.k. It is early, but, I'm pretty excited. The defense will give up some points this year, but, their offense looks phenomenal.
Yeah I'm impressed how they've overwhelmed powerhouses like Syracuse and Coastal Carolina. :wacko:

:D

Paterno had Morelli in there losing games for them, while two talented QB's like Clark and Devlin sat and watched. Evan Royster was also there best RB last year, and he sat and watched. Paterno's loyalty to upperclassmen has cost this program.
Don't even get me started.....he's gotten better about it though. And while he obviously takes it too far and it drives me nuts, I also gotta have some respect for that upperclassmen loyalty.

So far, we've been doing exactly what we should, pummelling people. I agree with Menudo though, I'm not seeing a lot from our D-line (which was supposed to be one of the best in the nation before all of the attrition). I think that they can be wore down and taken advantage of. That will cause our secondary to look suspect or not as good as they are.

• 4 weeks later...

Here comes the time for them to make people believers or not.

at Wisconsin

vs Michigan (lost to Wolverines 9 times in a row)

at Ohio State

If we make it through this, it's downhill with Iowa, Indiana & Michigan State (as a speed bump)

I really thought hard about buying NC tickets this week. After looking at our team and our schedule, I really believe that this team can finish undefeated. I then realized that the anti-Big Ten bias would keep them out of the NC if there were three undefeated teams. I just can't take the chance that I couldn't pawn off the tix for what I paid for them (currently $650 a piece).

I really thought hard about buying NC tickets this week. After looking at our team and our schedule, I really believe that this team can finish undefeated. I then realized that the anti-Big Ten bias would keep them out of the NC if there were three undefeated teams. I just can't take the chance that I couldn't pawn off the tix for what I paid for them (currently $650 a piece).

smart move kid, save your money. Big 10 bias? what on earth are you talking about? if you are talking about Big 10 teams playing notoriously weak non conference schedules, beating mediocre teams in conference and getting their asses handed to them by better teams in meaningful games? that is called reality not bias.

yer damn right if there are 3 unbeatens they are gonna come from the SEC or Big 12 - they would deserve it.

Big 10 bias dat is some funny chit -

smart move kid, save your money. Big 10 bias? what on earth are you talking about? if you are talking about Big 10 teams playing notoriously weak non conference schedules, beating mediocre teams in conference and getting their asses handed to them by better teams in meaningful games? that is called reality not bias.

yer damn right if there are 3 unbeatens they are gonna come from the SEC or Big 12 - they would deserve it.

Sigh...you've already said this 17 different times and ways. My only challenge to you is to try and bring something new to the table oh, maybe once per year. That would be refreshing.

Sigh...you've already said this 17 different times and ways. My only challenge to you is to try and bring something new to the table oh, maybe once per year. That would be refreshing.

by all means- I love everything about college football - except for the BCS. let's hear it kid - love talking football- some great games this weekend, can you bring something to the table besides yer last post?

just had enough of the whoa is me Big 10 stuff. Someone has to keep it somewhat real with the Big 10 homers

by all means- I love everything about college football - except for the BCS. let's hear it kid - love talking football- some great games this weekend, can you bring something to the table besides yer last post?

just had enough of the whoa is me Big 10 stuff. Someone has to keep it somewhat real with the Big 10 homers

You do realize all he was saying is that he was not comfertable couging up the cash for NC tickets because of the bias you feel the need to bring up in every post you make, relevent to topic or not? Jeebus he was staing the very fact you preach daily. Some people are so miserable they have to argue when there is no argument there.

I don't claim to be a college football expert. I catch some here and there like the 4th quarter of the Clemson - Wake Forest game last night. I read a fair bit of stuff on the web. But I don't spout off on things I don't know anything about. Basically I can't tell you a damn thing about Texas or USC or Alabama.

Here is one thing I can say that is very relevant to college football and one of the main reasons that I absolutly positively believe that we need a playoff rather than this fraked up system that we currently have. Past performance is no guarantee of future gains.

Because of the turnover involved in every college football team due to graduation, early entrants and just plain drop outs, every year is a new year for every team. Yet, every year, we have preseason polls that a bunch of yahoos who think they are smarter than everyone else put together based on which teams they think are the best. Let me say that again. They THINK are the best.

We are now what... six weeks into the college football season? Do we have a handle on which team is the best? Hardly. What we do know is that there are some pretty good teams and there are still some pretenders. Looking at schedules and who so and so beat and how badly they beat them by doesn't tell you a thing about how good a team really is. Looking at one conference and comparing the performance of the teams in that conference to teams in another conference gives you enough evidence for guys like you to pound your chest and scream LOOK AT US, WE'RE GREAT! but it doesn't give a true picture of who's really the best. There's more to a football team than a record and a margin of victory.

For example:

Oklahoma              Penn State              Texas	              Alabama                 Brigham Young

Chattanooga	57-2  Coastal Carolina  66-10 Florida Atlantic  52-10 @Clemson          34-10 Northern Iowa   41-17
Cincinnati      52-26 Oregon State      45-14 @UTEP             42-13 Tulane            20-6  @Washington     28-27
@Washington     55-14 @Syracuse         55-13 Rice              52-10 Western Kentucky  41-7  UCLA            59-0
TCU             35-10 Temple            45-3  Arkansas          52-10 @Arkansas         49-14 Wyoming         44-0
@Baylor         49-17 Illinois          38-24 @Colorado         38-14 @Georgia          41-30 @Utah State     34-14
                     @Purdue           20-6                          Kentucky          17-14

Here are the records of five undefeated teams. Out of all these games, the only team here with anything approaching a credible win is Alabama and that is their win over Georgia. Even though Clemson was ranked at the time that Alabama beat them, we now know two things, 1) it was a preseason ranking and therefore meaningless and 2) Clemson is a fraud. The only other games played against ranked opponents were Oklahoma against a #24 TCU and Penn State against a #23 Illinois. Both of those can be viewed as somewhat legitimate wins as the rankings were 4 and 5 weeks into the season where people have started to get to know something about the teams.

Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama are ranked ahead of Penn State and Brigham Young, not because of what they've done on the field (maybe 'Bama) but solely because of the meaningless preseason ranking that required Penn State and Brigham Young to make up ground. However, based on what you see above, you can not in any way draw any conclusion about the relative strengths or weaknesses of any of the teams. All had a cupcake early schedule; all readily handled their schedule as expected. All that you can say is that you have five really good football teams right there.

By the end of the season we'll have found out which of these team has what it takes to win out against their schedule. However, their matchups will be determined based on bowl affiliations and rankings, which once again goes back to where you started in the rankings. Some people like to think that crunching numbers in a computer or watching football until your eyes bleed and then making a decision on how is perceived to be better will eventually single out the best team in the land. That is bullpoopy and we all know it. But to some folks, perception is reality.

That is why I won't stand on my soapbox and scream, "The Big Ten is Better than the Pac 10 or the Big East!" I really can't say anything like that. The numbers such as they are, really don't prove anything either. You can point to the 3-1 victory margin the Pac 10 has over the Big Ten this year, but that doesn't really prove anything either. USC may or may not have played the best team in the Big Ten. Oregon State may or may not have played the best team in the Big Ten. We won't be able to even begin to tell anything like that until the dust settles at the end of the season.

So that is why I claim a bias against the Big Ten right now. That same bias exists against the Pac-10 and the Big East and the ACC. People are jumping to conclusions without waiting for all the facts to come in. If you want to toot your own horn, then be my guest. But I know you for what you really are, just another college football blowhard.

nice work- this blowhard can appreciate yer post yer right, the whole system is broken and a joke. pre-season pools skew the whole slate and make it harder for a good, legit team to gain ground.

the part that stinks, is that under the current systems we have to go by schedule and conference strength, so it does matter. Which is why, hypothetically if Penn St, OKL, LSU were all to go undefeated, PSU loses that battle - and we will never know who the best team is unfortunately. Under the current system that is all we have to go on, and the Big 10 has just not measured up nationally the past few years( cue Brian in 3,2,1)

it sucks, if we had a playoff, we could all relax a bit, the best teams will rise to the top and we can decide it on the field, meanwhile opponents say that would take away from regular season games which is absolute garbage- as long as everyone is arguing between #8,9 or #16,17 - all the better

a shame one of the best sports doesn't decide on the field

more later on this- need to try and get to work!

I've never seen someone hate on a conference as much as you do. I know you'll spin it 15 ways to Sunday, but, Penn State demolished an Oregon State team, and by demolished, I mean that they had backups in during the 2nd quarter. That same Oregon State team beat the Gods of the Pac 10, USC in a game that they dominated. I'm sure you can try to explain it away, but, that IS reality.

I'll give you this, the Big 10 isn't nearly as good as the SEC, and they aren't as good as the Big 12, after that, I think they have arguments with the PAC 10. If teams go undefeated in the SEC and Big 12, they deserve to play for the national championship, and you'll have no complaints from me, though it would be devastating to finish undefeated and not have a chance to play for a national championship, but, I won't start my playoff rant again.

Yes, the Big 10 is down, but, they aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be.

All of this talk is probably pre-mature though, as Penn State is at Wisconsin, home with Michigan, and at Ohio State the next three weeks. I think Penn State is more talented than all three of them, but, that is a tough run on their schedule. I can't wait for Saturday night though, and I'm enjoying the hell out of this season thus far. How is Arizona doing ? I don't see you talking about them too often, but, you probably don't have time, as 95% of your posts on here are ripping the Big 10.

You do realize all he was saying is that he was not comfertable couging up the cash for NC tickets because of the bias you feel the need to bring up in every post you make, relevent to topic or not? Jeebus he was staing the very fact you preach daily. Some people are so miserable they have to argue when there is no argument there.

Amen.

His anti-Big 10 schtick is so played out it isn't even funny.

He's an Arizona Wildcats fan, yet, 0.005 % of his posts in this forum have anything to do with them.

nice work- this blowhard can appreciate yer post yer right, the whole system is broken and a joke. pre-season pools skew the whole slate and make it harder for a good, legit team to gain ground.

the part that stinks, is that under the current systems we have to go by schedule and conference strength, so it does matter. Which is why, hypothetically if Penn St, OKL, LSU were all to go undefeated, PSU loses that battle - and we will never know who the best team is unfortunately. Under the current system that is all we have to go on, and the Big 10 has just not measured up nationally the past few years( cue Brian in 3,2,1)

it sucks, if we had a playoff, we could all relax a bit, the best teams will rise to the top and we can decide it on the field, meanwhile opponents say that would take away from regular season games which is absolute garbage- as long as everyone is arguing between #8,9 or #16,17 - all the better

a shame one of the best sports doesn't decide on the field

more later on this- need to try and get to work!

As much as you annoy me at times, I do like you and you are knowledgable, and I wish you would stick to posts like this, rather than spouting your conference hate. I agree 100% with everything you said in this one.

I've never seen someone hate on a conference as much as you do. I know you'll spin it 15 ways to Sunday, but, Penn State demolished an Oregon State team, and by demolished, I mean that they had backups in during the 2nd quarter. That same Oregon State team beat the Gods of the Pac 10, USC in a game that they dominated. I'm sure you can try to explain it away, but, that IS reality.

I'll give you this, the Big 10 isn't nearly as good as the SEC, and they aren't as good as the Big 12, after that, I think they have arguments with the PAC 10. If teams go undefeated in the SEC and Big 12, they deserve to play for the national championship, and you'll have no complaints from me, though it would be devastating to finish undefeated and not have a chance to play for a national championship (AGAIN!!!), but, I won't start my playoff rant again.

Yes, the Big 10 is down, but, they aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be.

All of this talk is probably pre-mature though, as Penn State is at Wisconsin, home with Michigan, and at Ohio State the next three weeks. I think Penn State is more talented than all three of them, but, that is a tough run on their schedule. I can't wait for Saturday night though, and I'm enjoying the hell out of this season thus far. How is Arizona doing ? I don't see you talking about them too often, but, you probably don't have time, as 95% of your posts on here are ripping the Big 10.

fixed.

Edited by Kid Cid

As much as you annoy me at times, I do like you and you are knowledgable, and I wish you would stick to posts like this, rather than spouting your conference hate. I agree 100% with everything you said in this one.

ahhh Menudo- we go way back you and I - you do know annoying :wacko: , I will give you that one. :breathing deeply: this is college forum, I will not go there.

all good- unfortunate part of the system - and part of my rants are bc of homers like TOS who have the balls to blame USC 's destruction of OSU on the officials - so I digress. Nothing personal towards the Big 10 - but you have to admit that in watching OSU play in NC games recently, that the conference has not been a god test or barometer of NC caliber teams. It just hasn't

As for UA - I am realistic- top notch hoops program, incredible babes and average academically- it is what is, football has been down, although they are a couple W away from cracking the top 25.........

also, happened to be at a hugh OSU bar here for the Wisky game last wknd- few cocktails in me, I was lucky to get outta there alive with all the Big 10 chit talking I was doing

should be a great weekend of college football!!!

Amen.

His anti-Big 10 schtick is so played out it isn't even funny.

He's an Arizona Wildcats fan, yet, 0.005 % of his posts in this forum have anything to do with them.

ahhh Menudo- we go way back you and I - you do know annoying :wacko: , I will give you that one. :breathing deeply: this is college forum, I will not go there quote]

Edited by isleseeya

I've got no problems with Wildcat, he is one of the few people around her who can dish it out and take it too. I'm sure this isn't the last time we will battle over his being annoying........ :D He also is one of the few to admit when he is wrong, as he did last year, after spending years telling me that Roethlisberger was completely immobile and had a weak arm. :D