[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brady is done for the season

theeohiostate

So, you're seriously implying that he's a good fit for NE? I would be nothing short of amazed if dude gets a call. I mean, this is Bellchick we're talking about. Total system guy.

Here's the deal, and this is not at all a knock on Brady. But, like Joe Montana, he's a guy who was the perfect guy to execute a perfect offense. If either of these guys land on another team, they don't amount to nearly the QB they ended up being. Steve Young did possess more physical tools than Montana (so in that respect could be compared to CPep), but he was also a really, really smart guy so he was the best of both worlds. Culpepper's game as always been more sandlot style. When he was healthy, he could either throw or run over whomever he was playing. Once again, this is not the type of QB that makes the Pats go.

Brady could run any offense. Anytime. Anywhere. You can't replace him. But if you don't think Belicheck could get the most out of Culpepper, your nuts.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only worry I would have as a Moss owner is that without Brady, he might mail it in like he did while in Oakland. Not saying he will, but his past behavior could be an indicator of what is to come.

This was my initial thought as well. If Moss really has become the leader that has been wrtten of him, he will help rally the team thru it's biggest challenge since playing the Bears' D in the Super Bowl.

The strength of Belicheck and the leadership of their veterans are crucial at this point. Do they fight or fold?

Brady could run any offense. Anytime. Anywhere. You can't replace him. But if you don't think Belicheck could get the most out of Culpepper, your nuts.

I'm not saying that Brady couldn't do so now (at least healthy). I'm saying that his measurable skill set was obviously not all that or he wouldn't have lasted til the 6th. In the hands of a guy like Bellchick, however, his less measurable talents were able to shine. If Brady was picked up by another team, who knows. He could have languished and never amounted to much, at least until he bounced around and ended up in the right hands. I'm not saying that Bellchick could do this with anyone. In fact, by saying C-Pep isn't the guy, my stance is rather clear.

Bellchick's offense runs on a "student of the game" type QB. Perhaps Bellchick could get the most out of C-Pep, but that doesn't mean he's the best guy for the job.

Whatever, if the Pats bring in C-Pep, you win. If they don't, I do. That is, unless Bellchick is as clueless as I am.

I'm not saying that Brady couldn't do so now (at least healthy). I'm saying that his measurable skill set was obviously not all that or he wouldn't have lasted til the 6th. In the hands of a guy like Bellchick, however, his less measurable talents were able to shine. If Brady was picked up by another team, who knows. He could have languished and never amounted to much, at least until he bounced around and ended up in the right hands. I'm not saying that Bellchick could do this with anyone. In fact, by saying C-Pep isn't the guy, my stance is rather clear.

Bellchick's offense runs on a "student of the game" type QB. Perhaps Bellchick could get the most out of C-Pep, but that doesn't mean he's the best guy for the job.

Whatever, if the Pats bring in C-Pep, you win. If they don't, I do. That is, unless Bellchick is as clueless as I am.

Well, considering Culpepper retired, and specifically said he didn't want to wait around for a QB to get injured so he could be a starter, I'm not so sure he will come back. He might stick with what he said. Or he might not, if the Patriots come calling . . .

I think the Pats are still a playoff team. They are not a superbowl team, but winning one game in the playoffs this year would be a huge accomplishment. Next week will be a big test in NY.

NE struggled at home to barely squeeze by a very bad KC team. The rest of the parts just aren't there without Brady to change the entire course of games. The secondary is atrocious and the run O is mediocre.

NE struggled at home to barely squeeze by a very bad KC team. The rest of the parts just aren't there without Brady to change the entire course of games. The secondary is atrocious and the run O is mediocre.

My knee jerk reaction would be to say that they might look better with Cassel getting all the first team reps this week. Then it dawned on me that he got the first team reps most of camp with Brady hurt. :wacko:

We'll see. This could get rough.

My knee jerk reaction would be to say that they might look better with Cassel getting all the first team reps this week. Then it dawned on me that he got the first team reps most of camp with Brady hurt. :wacko:

We'll see. This could get rough.

I'm still trying to figure out how Cassel is ahead of Guttierez O'Connell on the depth chart. It reinforces my notion that Belicek is a .500 coach (or worse) who stumbled into arguably the best QB in the NFL by blind luck.

My bad on O'Connell there....

Edited by Bronco Billy

Please.

Please, please, please, please. PLEASE!!

NO CULPEPPER!!!!

Even as a Moss owner, I don't think Fumblepepper is the answer. I probably should have warned the huddle. I drafted Steve Smith as my first WR last year and look what happened to Delhomme. It must be a jinx. :wacko:

I'm still trying to figure out how Cassel is ahead of Guttierez O'Connell on the depth chart. It reinforces my notion that Belicek is a .500 coach (or worse) who stumbled into arguably the best QB in the NFL by blind luck.

:wacko: LOL wondering why a guy whose name you don't know isn't the starter :D

Probably due to the fact that Cassell knows the Offense. As Grits said, this is an actual offense, not just a chuck and duck. I watched every second of all four preseason games. I don't recall seeing the Pats in the shotgun in a non-passing situation in any of the games. Fast forward to game one of the regular season, first and 10, and Brady's in the shotgun with four wides.

My point is that the Cassell we(myself included) hated in the preseason, was not running anything close to the offense that he'll be running now.

why BB would have them practice an offense they never use is lost on me, but that's what they did.

Belichick and McDaniels love Cassel. The fact that he played so poorly in the preseason and kept the backup job should prove that. I think a lot of it has to do with them drafting a guy that did not even start in college. Yes, one of those I am smarter than you type of picks.

Don't kid yourselves. Any QB they bring in be it Simms, Rattay or CPep will be the backup. If Brady is put on IR this is Cassel's team.

:wacko: LOL wondering why a guy whose name you don't know isn't the starter :D

Guttierez was in the Pats' final cut this year after being with the team last year. He outperformed Cassel by quite a bit in the preseason this year from what I saw, so the mistake was a natural and understandable error.

Take great glee in it if it makes you happy.

Belichick and McDaniels love Cassel. The fact that he played so poorly in the preseason and kept the backup job should prove that. I think a lot of it has to do with them drafting a guy that did not even start in college. Yes, one of those I am smarter than you type of picks.

I have to agree with this. I've watched Shanahan do this with RBs repeatedly. It does seem to be an ego thing, even when it comes to the point where the guy clearly is not NFL worthy.

I have to agree with this. I've watched Shanahan do this with RBs repeatedly. It does seem to be an ego thing, even when it comes to the point where the guy clearly is not NFL worthy.

True but all this talk of Cassel sucking is a little premature. Do I personally think he has what it takes to take the Pats deep into the playoffs. No, but I really think you can throw out the preseason. If he were playing for say the Redskins he would likely be garbage. However you could likely put any of the 32 starters in New England's offense and at least get something competitive out of it.

The offensive line is still very good. They have a ridiculous WR crew and two very capable running backs. Honestly I think he will have to suck complete ass for them to not make the playoffs.

Their next two games are against the Jets and Dolphins (two teams that couldn't get out of each other's way yesterday)...then the pats a have a bye.

I could see a scenario where Cassel just manages two winnable weeks, and the Pats focus on identifying someone (could be someone already on a team....the Eagle's #3 Feely perhaps?) who is better equipped to lead them for the rest of the season.

The Pats have the easiest on-paper schedule, with games against KC (W), NYJ (2), MIA (2), BUF( 2), STL, OAK, SF, ARZ, to name a few. I still see this as a 9-10 win team, unless the wheels fall off completely for some reason....their coach and veteran leadership should prevent that from happening.

I think it's reasonable to believe that Cassel functions reasonably well. The O-line will likely gel and pass protect and Cassel has a big enough arm to get deep to Moss. He's got 4 years experience in a very intricate passing game, with a solid pass protecting O-line, and a lethal receiving corp. I think that they drafted him with zero starting experience in college says they saw something they liked, and what says even more is that he's was kept as the #2 with everyone knowing the importance of QB play to the success of that team.