[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

colts

CaptainHook

just got home from the game . . .

I expected Manning to be rusty, but was shocked the way the Bears were DARING him to throw by loading the line with 7 . . . so many close long balls off of fingertips . . . but the passing game just wasn't clicking. Running game was non-existent with the way the Bears were playing. 3 back-ups on the interior of the line is worrisome. Saturday and Lilja could be out 6 weeks or more. Losing Dallas Clark didn't help either. Credit the Bears defensive gameplan. It worked perfectly.

I was more disappointed in the Colts D. I kinda figured the Colts O was gonna struggle, but I thought the D would carry us. This team has refused to draft or acquire defensive tackles, and it shows. They can't stop the run consistently. I shudder to think what will happen next week in Minnesota. Pass defense gave up way to many plays on third down. Very little pressure. And when the did have their shots at INT's, they dropped 'em.

I predicted a slow start. Thought they probably would beat the Bears, but I'm not shocked they lost. They've got some work to do. It's a long season.

Edited by CaptainHook

The defense played so well last year until the play-off loss to San Diego. They just couldn't get Michael Turner and Billy Volek off the field. And the same thing tonight, except it was Forte and Orton. And it was simple ball control offense too. I am very worried about the D. I thought having Freeney back would help tonight . . .

The defense played so well last year until the play-off loss to San Diego. They just couldn't get Michael Turner and Billy Volek off the field. And the same thing tonight, except it was Forte and Orton. And it was simple ball control offense too. I am very worried about the D. I thought having Freeney back would help tonight . . .

Would you say the Bears D is for real? Manning and Co will have their way with lesser teams, but I wanna know if the Bears D was spot on or Indy's O was just off tonight?

Don't worry. Peyton will shred the Vikings secondary I'm sure.

I want to see the Monday game before I make that evaluation. The Bears do not have the D-line the Vikings have. If the Vikings can get pressure with their front four, and all signs are pointing to the line being an elite unit, then we could see a very long day for Manning and Co. If anyone can bounce back it's Manning, but I'm not expecting it to happen given the match up.

I want to see the Monday game before I make that evaluation. The Bears do not have the D-line the Vikings have. If the Vikings can get pressure with their front four, and all signs are pointing to the line being an elite unit, then we could see a very long day for Manning and Co. If anyone can bounce back it's Manning, but I'm not expecting it to happen given the match up.

Since when? They were 32nd VS the pass last season. While Allen is an upgrade he doesn't take them from being an elite run stuffing line to a pass defending one.

In addition a rookie is a starting safety.

Since when? They were 32nd VS the pass last season. While Allen is an upgrade he doesn't take them from being an elite run stuffing line to a pass defending one.

In addition a rookie is a starting safety.

The unit has issues but should see a massive improvement by consistently being able to disrupt the quarterback with the front four. Not the case last year, but adding Allen really allows the unit to flourish as a whole. Who do you double team now?

The bears ranked 27th last year in pass D, giving up 231.8 ypg. The Vikings ranked 32nd with 264.1 ypg. The Bears just embarrassed the Colts on the road with less talent and similar D woes last year. It isn't a stretch to see the Colts go on the road next week and get dominated at the line of scrimmage, and in turn have the same out of sync passing game. Like I said, we've seen nothing outside of promising practices and to see the unit in a game will give us all the info we need. Maybe you'll see the light when Allen, "puts his helmet square in the back of Rodgers' spine." Should be an all around fun game my neighbor to the east :wacko:

Would you say the Bears D is for real? Manning and Co will have their way with lesser teams, but I wanna know if the Bears D was spot on or Indy's O was just off tonight?

The bears D is for real if all remain healthy. Mucho dollars were spent this year to keep the D solid and happy. If there no injuries, Mike Brown et al will prove their prowess.

Watching the game it was my opinion that the Colts failed to adjust their game planning to what the Bears were doing...

I do believe that if Manning and Co. had gone to a shorter throwing game they could have moved the ball down the field easier, and forced more defenders away from the line of scrimmage. Instead they seemed try to go to the long ball too often. I guess it was their hope that a few big plays would push the crowd at the line to back up. Instead, with Manning having to hold it that much longer he ended up with pressure in his face and seemed to make his throws under duress.

As for defensively, I am sure the Colts blitzed at times, but I could not see it... whether it was that ineffective or that rare I can not say. But from my coaching couch, I would think the Colts should have blitzed a lot. Awhole lot more. Especially against a quarterback with as little field time as Orton. Now Orton may not be a bad QB, but nearly any QB who is under attack tends to make mistakes. I just did not see Orton being harrassed.

I sure hope the Colts turn it around... I have Addai and Wayne in various leagues.

Von

they did a lot of short passing, especially slants, because the linebackers were crowding the LOS. but they had to try some deep stuff, because tit was single coverage on the outside. the colts just missed 'em.

and no, the defense never blitzed. they just got it taken to them by the Bears O.

The unit has issues but should see a massive improvement by consistently being able to disrupt the quarterback with the front four. Not the case last year, but adding Allen really allows the unit to flourish as a whole. Who do you double team now?

The bears ranked 27th last year in pass D, giving up 231.8 ypg. The Vikings ranked 32nd with 264.1 ypg. The Bears just embarrassed the Colts on the road with less talent and similar D woes last year. It isn't a stretch to see the Colts go on the road next week and get dominated at the line of scrimmage, and in turn have the same out of sync passing game. Like I said, we've seen nothing outside of promising practices and to see the unit in a game will give us all the info we need. Maybe you'll see the light when Allen, "puts his helmet square in the back of Rodgers' spine." Should be an all around fun game my neighbor to the east :wacko:

I agree they will improve. Madieu Williams will help but he's hurt now.

The Bears D was hurt last year so i wouldn't use an injured 07 unit to prove your point. I think the Minnesota pass D will be better but how much is the question.

I am worried to death about what the interior of the Vikes D will do to our interior line. If I'm not mistaken, Tommie Harris was playing on a bad knee last night. Plus it'll be on the road, super loud, and the Colts won't be able to run again . . .

But the D will get TORCHED by Peterson and Taylor. Gonna be ugly if the Colts don't make major improvement this week.

They may have to survive the first quarter of the schedule. They play at Minny, then home agains Jax before a bye. With some luck, maybe they'll get Pollack and Saturday back by then. If they could be at least 1-2, or 2-1 at the bye, I'd be less worried. . .

Of course, I do NOT want the Colts to get a bye in the play-offs this year. It's the kiss of death. Maybe losing a non-conference game early isn't all that bad. . . i'm rationalizing . . . lol

Colts offense did as much if not more then Chi to hurt the Colts D

I am worried to death about what the interior of the Vikes D will do to our interior line. If I'm not mistaken, Tommie Harris was playing on a bad knee last night. Plus it'll be on the road, super loud, and the Colts won't be able to run again . . .

I can't see Indy doing anything on the ground against that Vikings D-line. Addai got damaged last night and the Vikes have a better run D than the Bears do. Tough way to start the season for the Colts against two hard-as-nails defenses but the overall impression was of a team (especially Peyton) lacking confidence and, surprisingly, enthusiasm.

I think the Vikings win next week without breaking sweat.

colts offense gave the bears 9 points, but they still lost by 16.
Technically this is true, however the real cost was more then 9 points. Had the fumble by Harrison not happened and instead the drive resulted in a TD, the score is suddenly only a 2 point difference and the dynamics completely different.

Oh well. We'll win the next 18 games.

If the Colts D continues to play that way, Manning's numbers will be better than I thought. He might approach 5,000 yards, with Wayne and Harrison looking at 1500 each.

I'd be a little worried about Addai -- still a lock for double-digit TDs, but those hoping for a yardage boost from last year can probably forget about that. With the return of the O-linemen later, though, Addai might be a good trade target after he struggles in Week 2 again. :wacko:

Manning seemed more affected by the knee injury than I expected. They showed how he had lost weight because the medicine he's on suppresses his appetite and he hasn't been able to work out as much. They also had to change the stretch play to Manning tossing it to the running back instead of sprinting out and handing it off to him. Hopefully, he's able to work himself back into form.

I should've dealt Addai in my keeper league. The Colts offense is going to be in deep doo-doo if their line doesn't get it together fast. I realize that Howard Mudd is a great O-line coach, but you can't plug a rookie into Saturday or Lilja's spot not expect them to miss a beat. I wasn't that impressed with the Colts D, either, but they at least put the offense in a position to win (for most of the game).

And hats off to the Bears. Their offense won't score many points this year, but their defense looks as dominant as it did at this time two years ago.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I should've dealt Addai in my keeper league. The Colts offense is going to be in deep doo-doo if their line doesn't get it together fast. I realize that Howard Mudd is a great O-line coach, but you can't plug a rookie into Saturday or Lilja's spot not expect them to miss a beat. I wasn't that impressed with the Colts D, either, but they at least put the offense in a position to win (for most of the game).

And hats off to the Bears. Their offense won't score many points this year, but their defense looks as good as dominant as it did at this time two years ago.

Don't forget Manning did not look like Manning out there. Usually, Manning will make the defense PAY for stacking the LOS and this time he seems hesistant and confused. I have zero doubt this is from the Meds he is taking and the time he has missed. I wouldn't count Addai or any Colts out just yet. Next week isn't going to me any easier either, but if this continues into week 3 I would start having my doubts.

Manning seemed more affected by the knee injury than I expected. They showed how he had lost weight because the medicine he's on suppresses his appetite and he hasn't been able to work out as much. They also had to change the stretch play to Manning tossing it to the running back instead of sprinting out and handing it off to him. Hopefully, he's able to work himself back into form.

I was shocked to see him pitch it out too. I'm not sure I've ever seen the Colts have to do that.

Don't forget Manning did not look like Manning out there. Usually, Manning will make the defense PAY for stacking the LOS and this time he seems hesistant and confused. I have zero doubt this is from the Meds he is taking and the time he has missed. I wouldn't count Addai or any Colts out just yet. Next week isn't going to me any easier either, but if this continues into week 3 I would start having my doubts.

No doubt that Peyton is a little rusty (he missed Marvin and Reggie on a couple of deep balls), but I'm pretty sure that he's not popping Vycodin before the game.

Their problem last night was their O-line. They couldn't establish the run and they couldn't pass-protect well enough to get Reggie and Marvin open on those deep routes.