[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Official Eagles-Cowboys Week 2 Thread

i_am_the_swammi

What a great game. That was fun to watch. The Eagles are better than I gave them credit for, and I still think the Cowboys are the team to beat in the NFL this year :wacko: At least I saw a chink in the armor last night, with the way their 'D' played in the 1st half.

Now, the Steelers get to take on a pissed off Eagles team. This should be a good one. Both teams play a similar defensive style, with, in my opinion, the too best 'D' coordinators in the game today. I think the ability of one team to at least run the ball a bit, to set up some passing plays down the field, along with special teams, as always, will make the difference. As much as I'll be rooting for the Steelers, I give the Eagles the advantage in this game. I hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romo hasnt even completed 2 full seasons as starter yet. And Dallas had HFA last yr, so how did that cost them in week 15. Romo hasnt come up small, hell last yr against Buffalo he turned it over 5 or 6 times, and he still led Dallas to a win. Id take Romo right now over McNabb and never think twice about it. Romo was an undrafted FA, who worked his ass off and is now one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the NFL. McNabb was a 1st round pick, what #2 overall , playing how many years, and he still makes boneheaded plays. We are sympathetic to Romo, because of his inexperience. Just wait till he has half the experience McNabb has. We have suffered through Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, Chad Hutchinson, and Drew henson before Romo took over midseason in 2006. Who last yr thought Dallas would be 13-3, and have HFA through out the playoffs. No one. Not even Cowboy fans, and Romo is the biggest reason why this team is where it is today. We are willing to give the guy a break because of his work ethic, and because we support our team no matter what. We also know what life in the NFL is like without a good Qb, we just went through a decade of that, so Romo is a breath of fresh air in Dallas. And how many big plays has he made, when he should have just thrown it away. He is a gunslinger like Favre, and you live and die with that. Id rather he tone that down a bit, but McNabb cant even decide if he wants to hand the ball off to Westbrook or not, double clutching the handoff. Id take Romo's make it happen attitude over McNabbs indecision any day.

edit: Dallas may be sitting its starters week 17. So Im not expecting anywhere close to this kind of game again between these 2 again in the regular season.

I don't think, even if Dallas plays its starters Week 17, that we'd ever get a game like last night...purely amazing. The Eagles too may be resting their starters, depending on what's at stake (they may be locked into a seed). I have a feeling that game will mean something to someone. Be kinda interesting if Dallas rolled in 16-0, eh?

Your points on Romo are valid, and I think you've touched on a key point that Cowboyz1 also borught up....you have had so many years of lackluster QB play since, well, Aikman was under center, that Romo is being given lots of rope that many other QBs never would get. Funny you compared him to Favre, as that is exactly who he reminds me of. Sadly though, even with all the time-required records Favre has set, I don't view Favre as a "great" QB. One Super Bowl victory, only achieved once Reggie White came in to cement the defense. Romo makes many of the same poor decisions Favre makes/made, and unless you've got a very forgiving fanbase (which Dallas and Green Bay both are), life can be pretty miserable. It'll be interesting to see what NY really thinks of Favre if he slips to 4-6 or 4-7....has he ever been booed by the home crowd? I doubt Romo has, either.

You are right about McNabb though, and we live it every year. He is an eceptioanlly amazing athlete, and can make tremendous plays one minute, and baffle you the next. I too would take Romo over him today, if only because he is not damaged goods, and one can hope he has the ability to learn from his mistakes. Mcnabb led this franchise to some fairly decent success...even though it wasn't winning the big game, going deep into the playoffs four straight seasons is impressive for any QB, and for those exciting seasons, we are thankful. But we definitely understand that, in any given game, he can leave us scratching our heads, wondering "How on earth did he just make that decision".

But thanks for posting your thoughts on Romo....at least I finally understand the justification for accepting his current error-prone ways. Mcnabb had a brilliant game yesterday, but is being roundly criticized here due to misplacing a handoff by 6-8 inches and causing a crucial fumble. Had they not turned it over, the Eagles likely win the game, pending the outcome of that drive. hardly anyone is talking about the poor special teams coverage...the blown assignments on the TO TD.....the poor LB coverage on Witten....the inability to continue to shut down Barber into the 2nd half. All the chatter is about one muddied handoff.

Everyone here in Philly generally has teh same opinion as me...that we are a 10-6 to 12-4 team, with some deficiencies to work out, but a playoff-caliber squad that could do some real damage if things come together. Most everyone felt the Eagles would lose on the road in Dallas, and win the game here....most still do. But because the game was imminently winnable, the microscope on the one defining moment is that much more magnified. I kinda feel bad for the guy.

Had the Cowboys lost, I doubt Romo would be equally crucified locally in Dallas....i guess the question is, how long is the honeymoon?

What a great game. That was fun to watch. The Eagles are better than I gave them credit for, and I still think the Cowboys are the team to beat in the NFL this year :wacko: At least I saw a chink in the armor last night, with the way their 'D' played in the 1st half.

Now, the Steelers get to take on a pissed off Eagles team. This should be a good one. Both teams play a similar defensive style, with, in my opinion, the too best 'D' coordinators in the game today. I think the ability of one team to at least run the ball a bit, to set up some passing plays down the field, along with special teams, as always, will make the difference. As much as I'll be rooting for the Steelers, I give the Eagles the advantage in this game. I hope I'm wrong.

Steelers will probably be getting 3 points on the spread.....I wouldn't touch it..

, that Romo is being given lots of rope that many other QBs never would get.

Had the Cowboys lost, I doubt Romo would be equally crucified locally in Dallas....i guess the question is, how long is the honeymoon?

I don't understand these points. When Romo loses the game, ala "the drop" against Seattle, I don't remember Dallas fans not being upset with him. He's a likeable guy and has done a hell of a job since he's been starting in Dallas. Maybe after he loses countless NFC championships and a Super Bowl, people will be harder on him. :wacko:

I don't understand these points. When Romo loses the game, ala "the drop" against Seattle, I don't remember Dallas fans not being upset with him. He's a likeable guy and has done a hell of a job since he's been starting in Dallas. Maybe after he loses countless NFC championships and a Super Bowl, people will be harder on him. :wacko:

I'll hit this softball for them...........

He has to get to one first. :D

Maybe after he loses countless NFC championships and a Super Bowl, people will be harder on him. :wacko:

That was directed toward McNabb. :D

That's pretty much my point to a "T". McNabb has made it to countless NFC Championships, and a Super Bowl, while Romo has lost two winnable playoff contests with inexplicable gaffes, and made horrendous decisions in countless other important games.....yet barely a negative word is spoken of him in Dallas.

I guess like Sarge pointed out, after 10+ years of QB purgatory, the Dallas fans are just excited at what the potential may be for this kid, regardless of his current shortcomings.

I don't know, its just kind of odd that QBs like Cutler, RIvers, etc. are held in significantly lesser regard, but have seemingly yet to make the dramatic poor decisions and errors that Romo has. And a QB like McNabb, who had immediate playoff success and won some very big games early in his career, is roasted in a hotter over than Romo.

If winning the Super Bowl is the only passing grade, then neither QB is very good....is that your logic here?

That's pretty much my point to a "T". McNabb has made it to countless NFC Championships, and a Super Bowl, while Romo has lost two winnable playoff contests with inexplicable gaffes, and made horrendous decisions in countless other important games.....yet barely a negative word is spoken of him in Dallas.

I guess like Sarge pointed out, after 10+ years of QB purgatory, the Dallas fans are just excited at what the potential may be for this kid, regardless of his current shortcomings.

I don't know, its just kind of odd that QBs like Cutler, RIvers, etc. are held in significantly lesser regard, but have seemingly yet to make the dramatic poor decisions and errors that Romo has. And a QB like McNabb, who had immediate playoff success and won some very big games early in his career, is roasted in a hotter over than Romo.

If winning the Super Bowl is the only passing grade, then neither QB is very good....is that your logic here?

I guess having crap for a QB for so long probly has something to do with it. IIRC, McNabb was'nt roasted in his 3rd year as the starter.