[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baltimore - Houston game moved to Monday night

Ziachild007

How did the Saints make up the game they missed with Katrina rolled through? Or did they? I can't remember but i do remember a team had to cancel a game due to weather and it was played like during the week or something.

The first "home" game was moved to New Jersey to MNF, where the Giants were supposed to be the visiting team. The remaining Saints home games that year were moved to San Antonio or Baton Rouge.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Houston homer. If Ike hits Houston directly as predicted, there probably won't be any infrastructure operating to support a game here on Sunday. Ike is expected to hit between 2 am and 7 am Saturday morning, so weather will still be in bad shape even Sunday morning. I have not heard anything other than what the site is reporting: their decision will be announced later today.

Even UH didn't cancel their game against Air Force. They've moved their game site to SMU's stadium in Dallas.

Move it to monday night in Houston.

+1, or even Tuesday for that matter, since playing on 5-days rest is something the NFL does all the time (with Thursday games).

I would guess the big issue with continuing as-planned for Sunday is that ravens have to somehow get to Houston....and I doubt they want to arrive two-days early.

Letting them fly in on Sunday or Monday for a Monday/Tuesday game, and preserving Houston's home attendence, seems the most logical answer.

They don't have the same bye week.

I would still doubt it would be cancelled as it would be a logistical nightmare. I still see it more likely to be moved to a neutral site (ala MIA/SD moved to ARZ a few yew years back) or Baltimore than cancelled. Since the storm window is bad, the other possibility of another day in the weekend is not possible.

What was the timing on that game move though? I can't recall, but it was sure before Friday of that week.

+1, or even Tuesday for that matter, since playing on 5-days rest is something the NFL does all the time (with Thursday games).

I would guess the big issue with continuing as-planned for Sunday is that ravens have to somehow get to Houston....and I doubt they want to arrive two-days early.

Letting them fly in on Sunday or Monday for a Monday/Tuesday game, and preserving Houston's home attendence, seems the most logical answer.

+1 football on tuesday. :wacko:

if it were cancelled and made up at a later date, you'd pretty much have to pull all HOU/BAL players from your lineup this week . . . otherwise, what happens if you play Andre Johnson or Slaton in week 2 but when the game is actually made up in week x, AJ is hurt and/or Slaton is no longer the starter, etc. Would be a complete nightmare, but I don't see the NFL doing this anyway . . .

In this case, I would think they could have a window until Tuesday to play the game....but Monday night would work.
I wonder what the contractual repercussions that would have if they moved the game to Monday. ESPN has the rights to all Monday night games. Even if you made the exception that the game was suppose to be played on CBS and allow CBS to carry it as an extra Monday night game, it would still take viewers away from the regularly scheduled MNF game. Plus CBS would have to preempt their regularly scheduled rerun programming for the game.

I think it would be much more plausible for the game to be moved to Dallas or New Orleans. Neither has a game Saturday. NO is away this week and Dallas has MNF. Ether location would be close enough that the "home team crowd" and advantage could still exist.

Move it to monday night in Houston.

I don't think that's realistic.

How could you possibly schedule that when a potential Cat 4 hurricane is gonna roll through just two days prior. Who's to say what it's going to be like down there after the storm hits.

No. Your only alternatives are to move it UP on the calendar, which isn't happening, or play it elsewhere. I like the Dallas suggestion. Same state and Houstonians could make the drive. Pain in the ass maybe, but they could get there.

Edited by Cunning Runt

I don't think that's realistic.

How could you possibly schedule that when a potential Cat 4 hurricane is gonna roll through just two days prior. Who's to say what it's going to be like down there after the storm hits.

No. your only alternative are to move it UP, which isn't happening, or play it elsewhere. I like the Dallas suggestion. Same state and Houstonians could make the drive. Pain in the ass maybe, but they could get there.

No one knows what's going to happen yet. These storms can move in unusual ways.

Dallas is an option but the storm is forecast to move through the Dallas area on Sunday. It'll obviously be weakened but it will still have some dicey winds and pouring rain.

A better option would be the Alamo Dome in San Antonio on Sunday. It's indoors and the storm should be long gone by Sunday. Although even San Antonio is in Ike's path UNTIL it takes the forecasted turn north.

The storm's present track really couldn't be worse for trying to move the game to another site in Texas... at this point Austin, SA, and Dallas are in the forecast path.

Dallas is an option but the storm is forecast to move through the Dallas area on Sunday. It'll obviously be weakened but it will still have some dicey winds and pouring rain.

A better option would be the Alamo Dome in San Antonio on Sunday. It's indoors and the storm should be long gone by Sunday. Although even San Antonio is in Ike's path UNTIL it takes the forecasted turn north.

The storm's present track really couldn't be worse for trying to move the game to another site in Texas... at this point Austin, SA, and Dallas are in the forecast path.

Yep. If it is still a Cat 4 by the time it hits Houston, I think the game will be the last thing folks down there will be worrying about.

Yep. If it is still a Cat 4 by the time it hits Houston, I think the game will be the last thing folks down there will be worrying about.

Lyons on the Weather Channel thinks Cat2 maybe Cat3 to hit land late friday early saturday, but that may change.

Not that it means anything, but the Houston Chronicle's main NFL guy, John McClain, reports:

The players and coaches are going about their business as if Ike doesn't exist while the behind-the-scenes employees are staying in close touch with the NFL, the Ravens, hotels, security, etc., in case the game has to be moved back a day and played Monday night.

The last thing the Texans and Ravens want to do is to move the game. Remember last season when there was so much speculation about where the Texans and Chargers were going to play because of the fires that burned out of control in the San Diego area? They ended up playing it when and where they were supposed to. The Texans might as well have forfeited because they played such a horrible game against the Chargers.

From all the indications I'm getting right now, if the game is changed from Sunday at 3 p.m., the most likely switch would be to Monday night. That means Texas would have two Monday night games because the Cowboys and Eagles play at Texas Stadium.

Chronicle Blog Link

From NFL.com

NFL monitoring Hurricane Ike

As Hurricane Ike takes aim at the Texas Gulf Coast, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the league has contingencies in place should the storm impact Sunday’s game between the Texans and Ravens at Houston’s Reliant Stadium.

Goodell said the NFL is prepared to allow the game to be potentially played as late as Monday. A plan is also in place to postpone the game and make scheduling changes to play it later in the season.

First and foremost, said Goodell, is the priority of public safety in the Houston region.

“We’re tracking the storm just like everybody else, and wishing all the people in the potential region that it’s not as damaging and not as dangerous as they’re predicting,” Goodell said in an interview with NFL.com. “As part of that, we look at the alternatives. How do we continue to operate the league?

“We’re looking at alternatives if the storm is severe enough that it would prevent us from playing, whether that’s damage to the stadium, or fans not being able to get to the stadium, or whether, frankly, there’s just higher priorities in that community than playing a football game. We understand our place in the community, and we understand the first priority is public safety. We would not do anything to stress emergency workers and law enforcement workers from doing their job.”

Sunday’s game between the Texans and Ravens is scheduled for 4:15 p.m. ET. Goodell said the league would hold off making any determinations about the game until they’ve fully evaluated the situation and government officials in the Houston market can make determinations about the impact on the community.

Published online reports from the AP say authorities in the Houston area and along the Southeast Texas Gulf Coast have ordered hundreds of thousands of people to evacuate Thursday as Ike approached the coast and threatened to grow even stronger.

“The reality is we have contingencies,” said Goodell. “We are prepared for it. We will make that decision at the first practical time.”