[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A deeper look at the numbers

keggerz

As far as Mendenhall, he looks a ways away from being a big part of that offense. As an Illinois alum/fan, I thought he was the most NFL ready back to come out. I was wrong. He thought his physical ability would stand out. To this point, it hasn't. Only his penchant for putting the ball on the ground -- which I didn't see a whole lot of in college.

Keep in mind that Tomlin may be holding Mendenhall back because he's still learning the offense. Some backs take a while to learn blocking schemes, and HCs tend to put experienced halfbacks in there to protect their QBs. Look at how the Colts held Addai back two years ago.

Of course, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Mendenhall might suffer an injury or be an outright flop. But outside of that, I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't get a good 150 carries this season.

If you look at Parker's career numbers, his yardage always comes like that. He is a 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 25, 3, 2, 3, 2, 1, -2, 38 type of back. It is nothing to be concerned about. One thing to keep in mind is that Parker's last carry was with 4:00 + minutes left in the 3rd Quarter. They were turning to Willie early and often. Now, obviously, not all games will go this well, and they will have to throw more in most games, but, it was obvious to me that the coaching staff does not feel that Mendenhall is ready to take a significant role just yet.

The Steelers took Mendenhall because they felt his value was too much to pass up on when he slipped that far. They probably also did it as a safety measure, with Parker coming off of a broken leg. They did not pick Mendenhall because they don't have faith in Parker. Mendenhall is not going to take the starting job anytime soon. It seems that his being drafted has motivated Willie, and I expect great things all season.

Well for one it could be a reason for him to get fewer carries going forward and then you will be the guy standing there saying but he went over 100 with 3 scores in week 1

I'm not a Willie Parker owner. I think that he has the best game of the year behind him now. But this analysis smacks of having a motive behind it. How do you decide which players to analyze and which ones not to? I'm not disputing any of your facts, they are good to know.

I definitely appreciate the leg work Keg. I am factoring a lot of this into my decision (your and swerski's points)on whether to trade him or not, I'm hoping for one or maybe even two more big weeks and then I might trade him.

I'm not a Willie Parker owner. I think that he has the best game of the year behind him now. But this analysis smacks of having a motive behind it. How do you decide which players to analyze and which ones not to? I'm not disputing any of your facts, they are good to know.

look a couple posts up at what Zia posted....he and i were talking about the texans and he said its all gloom and doom....with that and the day that Diles had I started to look at the play by play and noticed that it looked like the Hou D held pitt to quite a few modest gains ...that made me look at parker since he had what looked to be a fantastic day....really no motive at all

I unfortunately dont have the time to do it for all the 100yrd running backs...but i agree it would be up and down...BUT with that said

12 of parkers 15 1st down runs were very very bad, imo....just something to keep an eye on since they have mendy waiting in the wings

Um...I watched the whole game and thought he looked fast, explosive and ran with authority and intensity. The Steelers were committed to the run game and establishing him. Lots of factors affect different plays like how well the line blocks, the defensive alignments, etc.

Sorry to say, this post is just completely useless information and utterly meaningless. His TD runs were hardly gimmes either.

I started him last week and im starting him again this week. Im hopeful that Willie's stats are as bad every week as they were last week. Please Willie, keep stinking it up just like last week.

I definitely appreciate the leg work Keg. I am factoring a lot of this into my decision (your and swerski's points)on whether to trade him or not, I'm hoping for one or maybe even two more big weeks and then I might trade him.

I'm not a Parker owner, but the entire time I was reading this thread, I kept thinking three things:

1) Parker just had what will likely amount to being the best game of his 2008 season.

2) Mendenhall will probably end up picking up more an more of the workload as the season progresses so Parker isn't run into the ground before the playoffs.

3) Parker could have a big game against Cleveland this weekend.

I think after this weekend or maybe next, Parker's trade value will be the highest it will ever be. But will I want him on my team in December? What will Mendenhall's role be by then? And look at the FFL playoffs schedule for Pittsburgh - Dallas, @ Baltimore, @ Tennessee. I think it would be foolish not to shop Parker around within the next couple of weeks.

Um...I watched the whole game and thought he looked fast, explosive and ran with authority and intensity. The Steelers were committed to the run game and establishing him. Lots of factors affect different plays like how well the line blocks, the defensive alignments, etc.

Sorry to say, this post is just completely useless information and utterly meaningless. His TD runs were hardly gimmes either.

I started him last week and im starting him again this week. Im hopeful that Willie's stats are as bad every week as they were last week. Please Willie, keep stinking it up just like last week.

I am glad you found my research useful :wacko:

I am glad you found my research useful :wacko:

My biggest problem with Willie isnt with Willie. I thought the Steelers O line played horribly for most of last season which explained Willie's inability to score TDs. His line just didnt give him much help. Hopefully its a little better this year.