[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What to do with McGahee

BearcatTom

If I were to guess, I think he gets 50% of the work minimum this week, and more going forward. He is the starter and will be given every chance to perform.

I agree with you that he will get every chance to be the man as long as he is healthy and they are winning. But, I'm desperately thin at RB (my own dumb draft fault) and don't know how long I can wait on him to start performing. I have Addai too, so my top 2 backs are questionable as to their production right now, so I'm wondering how long it is till McGahee is back at top form. If it is sooner than later, then I can wait it out a week or 2. If it is later, I may have to do some more drastic trading with my WRs.

Oh well.

If I were to guess, I think he gets 50% of the work minimum this week, and more going forward. He is the starter and will be given every chance to perform.

I'm not so sure about that and neither is this sports writer for the Baltimore Sun:

McGahee falling out of the running

By Jamison Hensley Ravens beat

September 12, 2008

In the Ravens' new running scheme, the joke could end up being on Willis McGahee.

Criticized for not showing enough commitment to the Ravens, McGahee might have to learn about the concept of "team" the hard way - as in, a running-back-by-committee situation.

From all indications, it seems as if McGahee, the Ravens' featured back last season, will have to split time with two upstarts, Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain.

McGahee is expected to make his first appearance against the Houston Texans on Monday after missing the entire preseason with a knee injury. He said he could handle his usual 20 to 25 carries.

"I want a full workload, but that's something the coaches have to figure out," McGahee said.

A "full workload" doesn't appear to be in the Ravens' game plan. It's uncertain whether McGahee will even start.

"As of today, he's got a role in this game," offensive coordinator Cam Cameron said yesterday. "We ultimately aren't going to know until he's practiced through the end of the week."

McGahee was active and dressed in full uniform Sunday, but the Ravens didn't put him on the field for one play. Coach John Harbaugh explained that the Ravens wanted to be cautious with McGahee and his knee.

But one could read an underlying message from Sunday: The Ravens don't need McGahee to establish a dominant running attack.

The Ravens have gone out of their way to embrace McGahee. The coaching staff has repeatedly talked about how McGahee is a "special back" and how he could see increased touches as an every-down back.

McGahee reciprocated by falling into the same bad habits that forced him out of Buffalo.

He was the only offensive starter not to show for a majority of the voluntary minicamps this offseason. He reported to training camp in not-so-stellar shape. And he was one of the last to arrive to the first practice of training camp.

It'll be interesting to see how the Ravens handle McGahee in the future. He is signed through 2013, but only the next two seasons are manageable salaries ($605,000 this season and $620,000 in 2009).

In the short term, it's not about earning more money. It's about earning more playing time.

"If we have a group of guys that we know that can help us win," Cameron said, "we'll play them all."

Edited by justin