[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ed Hochuli

hooknladder

I beg to differ. The Colorado "5th Down" against Missouri would be the worst ever in the Big 12 (8). :wacko:

Ha ha, after reading his response I was about to say the same thing, but wanted to see if anyone replied. :D

Not sure I understand all this "swallow the whistle" talk - didn't Hochuli think the play was an incomplete pass (albeit incorrectly)? What does a ref do when an incomplete pass hits the ground and fools are still running around, liable to hurt each other? He blows the whistle - that's what he's supposed to do. It sucks that Hochuli blew the whistle in this case (I actually lost my game in one league as a direct result of Royal getting those extra points), but he really only did what he was supposed to do in the situation. Of course, the fact that he thought it was an incomplete pass is another issue . . .

+1 If he actually thought that it was a pass attempt (from his angle), he did the right thing by blowing the whistle.

Too bad that he completely whiffed on that one, though.

It must be nice to have such perfect hindsight. Maybe some of you ought to be refs at the NFL level - hell, it's easy with such big guys moving at such incredible speeds.

Hoculi wrongly saw an incomplete pass when presented with watching the play at game time at game speed. When he saw the incomplete pass, he correctly blew the whistle. Blowing the whistle not only kills the ball, but it stops linemen from enacting further mayhem on each other as well as stopping the other players on the field from running/cutting/jostling. etc. Imagine the outcry if refs "swallowed their whistle" for an extra 2 to 3 seconds every play, and then a stud lineman got hurt because of the additional contact. Part of the refs' job is protecting players every play as far as the rules allow them to.

I sympathize with SD fans. SD should have won the game, no doubt. If it were DEN (or GB) in their position - and it has been in the past on what I thought were clearly blown calls that should have been easy to detect - I'd be pissed off also. But I wouldn't be chastizing a very good ref like Hoculi. He does one hell of a job and has risen to the top of his profession for a reason.

Hoculi made a mistake - an understandable mistake that should not detract from his credibility. SD fans have every right to vent about that mistake. It cost them a win. However, it's still a 16 game season, and SD makes the claim that it is talentwise head & shoulders above everyone else in the division - an argument that frankly is not unreasonable even if you do disagree. So do your whining, then get off Hoculi's back, shut up, and come back and win the division. Use this as a rallying point instead of an excuse.

This is football, for God's sake.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It must be nice to have such perfect hindsight. Maybe some of you ought to be refs at the NFL level - hell, it's easy with such big guys moving at such incredible speeds.

Hoculi wrongly saw an incomplete pass when presented with watching the play at game time at game speed. When he saw the incomplete pass, he correctly blew the whistle. Blowing the whistle not only kills the ball, but it stops linemen from enacting further mayhem on each other as well as stopping the other players on the field from running/cutting/jostling. etc. Imagine the outcry if refs "swallowed their whistle" for an extra 2 to 3 seconds every play, and then a stud lineman got hurt because of the additional contact. Part of the refs' job is protecting players every play as far as the rules allow them to.

I sympathize with SD fans. SD should have won the game, no doubt. If it were DEN (or GB) in their position - and it has been in the past on what I thought were clearly blown calls that should have been easy to detect - I'd be pissed off also. But I wouldn't be chastizing a very good ref like Hoculi. He does one hell of a job and has risen to the top of his profession for a reason.

Hoculi made a mistake - an understandable mistake that should not detract from his credibility. SD fans have every right to vent about that mistake. It cost them a win. However, it's still a 16 game season, and SD makes the claim that it is talentwise head & shoulders above everyone else in the division - an argument that frankly is not unreasonable even if you do disagree. So do your whining, then get off Hoculi's back, shut up, and come back and win the division. Use this as a rallying point instead of an excuse.

This is football, for God's sake.

.....and i would add these guys are woefully underpaid and are considered part-time employees by the NFL. they make less money than any other major sports officials