[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The National Anthem

keggerz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL @ the Mariachi guy holding a sombrero over his heart. :D

I think if INS showed up, that stadium may be only 2/3rds full. :wacko:

She's butterface. No thanks. Next time, get an American to sing it, America's Team. We get it, NFL...you're trying to reach out to the illegals.

Edited by TimC

Disrespectful and awful. Didn't anybody listen to her before they gave her this gig? There has to be a better representative for the Latino community than this hack.

to me it wasn't just about her being bad...there have been many that have butchered it...my issue was her trying to make it her own song so to say....the head wiggle or whatever you want to call it....the arm movements and the looks at the camera....just sing the damn song. and fwiw, I would still be here bashing the PERFORMANCE if she even sang it the best I had ever heard it.

What often gets forgotten when people complain about renditions of the Star Spangled Banner is that, purely from the standpoint of a song, it is musically horrible. Don't read any more into that than there should be. I stand when it is sung and hold my hat to my heart. I'm not trashing the US or the importance of an anthem to a country. Simply saying, that the song is nearly impossible to perform well. It is, quite simply, all national pride and meaning completely aside, a really crappy and poorly written song.

I would imagine that each person who is asked to sing it tries to figure out somewhat to tweak it in some way so they can actually pull it off. This, unfortunately, often results in something even worse than if they just struggled through it.

Mind you, I was at a USA v Mexico baseball game a few years back and that song is even worse. Oh Canada is nice though.

What often gets forgotten when people complain about renditions of the Star Spangled Banner is that, purely from the standpoint of a song, it is musically horrible. Don't read any more into that than there should be. I stand when it is sung and hold my hat to my heart. I'm not trashing the US or the importance of an anthem to a country. Simply saying, that the song is nearly impossible to perform well. It is, quite simply, all national pride and meaning completely aside, a really crappy and poorly written song.

I would imagine that each person who is asked to sing it tries to figure out somewhat to tweak it in some way so they can actually pull it off. This, unfortunately, often results in something even worse than if they just struggled through it.

Mind you, I was at a USA v Mexico baseball game a few years back and that song is even worse. Oh Canada is nice though.

I get what you are saying but did you WATCH her PERFORMANCE?

I get what you are saying but did you WATCH her PERFORMANCE?

To be honest, I didn't. I tuned in just after kick-off. Believe me, I'm not trying to defend any of the many abortions that have occurred in the name of artistic license with regards to that song. Just saying it's not like these guys are all butchering what is an otherwise musically great song. Which, at least in terms of art is a much worse sin.

Actually my least favorite bit (besides the obvious awfulness of the 'land of the free/home of the brave') was her constant, pointless interjection of the growl into various notes. As I said to the Mrs., that is for country songs about Michelob and tight sweaters, not the f'in national anthem.

Peace

policy

I thought about Carl while reading this thread. Carl's was a classic. In his defense, he's an athlete. This chick has no excuse. Funny thing about Carl's is it starts off alright. Better than I could do. But his wheels fell off fast. He seemed to have a good attitude about it.

I thought about Carl while reading this thread. Carl's was a classic. In his defense, he's an athlete. This chick has no excuse. Funny thing about Carl's is it starts off alright. Better than I could do. But his wheels fell off fast. He seemed to have a good attitude about it.

Actually, Carl fancied himself as quite the singer and, if I'm not mistaken, actually took a stab at recording an album or something. In any event, it wasn't about some jock just saying, "what the hell, I'll give this a shot."

Actually, Carl fancied himself as quite the singer and, if I'm not mistaken, actually took a stab at recording an album or something. In any event, it wasn't about some jock just saying, "what the hell, I'll give this a shot."

That's still a big difference than a professional musician butchering the song. I guess my point is I'm going to hold the musician to a higher standard.

That's still a big difference than a professional musician butchering the song. I guess my point is I'm going to hold the musician to a higher standard.

I suppose the "standard" to which I hold professional musicians has been pummeled into submission over time. When the latest talentless hack gets shoved down my throat, and frankly my only exposure to them typically happens during the National Anthem because I never have any idea who these people are, I've learned not to get my hopes up too high.

Basically the only apparent qualification that Lewis lacked compared to the most common butchers of this tune is that he's not a hot chick.

Edited by detlef