[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now wait a minute...

michaelman

I've been hearing a lot of either two things..

1. Dump Moss trade him while you still can...

and

2. It was Cassel's first game as a starting QB and he and Randy will mesh as the season progresses.. . NOW WAIT A MINUTE... Didn't he get all those starts in the preseason? And in week 1 he came in before the 1st quarter was over...

As far as I'm concerned that's 6 full football games. We really havn't seen much improvement since the first pre season except for the fact that the defense may be trying a lot harder... Or actually NYJ and KC arn't strong teams to begin with... Maybe a 2-0 start for the patriots has a lot more to do with their schedule and not Cassel settling down... And don't bring up anything about Cassel's QB rating in week 2... all of his passes were lateral or to the flats or easy little slants.

Not interested in the pissing match between you two, but I'll weigh in on the original post. Randy Moss is still the most gifted receiver in the league. Maybe ever. I think that even with his natural ability we're going to see the Patriots of the early 2000's with a lot of dink and dunks all year long. A lot of 17-13 games and not a lot of yards to go around. Moss should still be started without hesitation but expecting elite WR1 numbers may leave you disappointed. I see him going for 1150 yards and 6-8 or so touchdowns.

Now maybe the real patriot fans can tell me if I'm off base or not, but Randy Moss on Sunday looked dejected all game long. He didn't have the world beater look in his eyes that he had last year. His demeanor looked like it did a few years ago in Oakland, where he was going through the motions. Even during his dominant season last year he took plays off, which is ok when you're rolling up on teams, but if he's not the primary role in the gameplan I can see him losing focus like last week with that horrible drop which would have been a 50+ yard pass. I don't think he believes in Cassell and I think there is a chance that he loses focus, which will hurt his numbers.

that DEMEANOR that you're talkin about Piratesownsninjas... is EXACTLY the kind of input i was looking for. Did you see the same "look" on Randy's face after the TD pass in game 1 from Cassel?... That Look.. said that it was random luck.. and that he Bailed out cassel... it said that he thought the pass was terrible.. and maybe even left moss out to dry.. Announcers said OOoOH what a great pass .. so high only moss could get it.. IMO that ball sailed on him...

I give the SAME LOOK in basketball games... When the poopytiest shooter who also plays center pulls up for a NBA range three with half the team including myself yelling NOOOOOO... and it goes in... and he's like What i made it!.. and i can't say anything.. cuz it did go in... but My look says well it was random luck and it won't happen again... and if you play like that in the long run.. we're not gonna win any games.

I wish I got the games on TV so i could watch his attitude in the coming weeks but I only got ABC.. nbc.. etc... so my choices are limited... but If moss puts together 2... or 3 games of 100+ and td.... I'm selling him FAST... Cuz I agree... he's in for 1000 and 7

Edited by michaelman

that DEMEANOR that you're talkin about Piratesownsninjas... is EXACTLY the kind of input i was looking for. Did you see the same "look" on Randy's face after the TD pass in game 1 from Cassel?... That Look.. said that it was random luck.. and that he Bailed out cassel... it said that he thought the pass was terrible.. and maybe even left moss out to dry.. Announcers said OOoOH what a great pass .. so high only moss could get it.. IMO that ball sailed on him...

I give the SAME LOOK in basketball games... When the poopytiest shooter who also plays center pulls up for a NBA range three with half the team including myself yelling NOOOOOO... and it goes in... and he's like What i made it!.. and i can't say anything.. cuz it did go in... but My look says well it was random luck and it won't happen again... and if you play like that in the long run.. we're not gonna win any games.

I wish I got the games on TV so i could watch his attitude in the coming weeks but I only got ABC.. nbc.. etc... so my choices are limited... but If moss puts together 2... or 3 games of 100+ and td.... I'm selling him FAST... Cuz I agree... he's in for 1000 and 7

I have missed the first 2 Pats games due to travel, but I will be in my seat for this week's contest. I will be watching for this for sure.

EDIT: Although I am fairly sure that if this was a concern locally after 2 games then sports radio would be buzzing about it loudly, and I have not heard anything.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

and

2. It was Cassel's first game as a starting QB and he and Randy will mesh as the season progresses.. . NOW WAIT A MINUTE... Didn't he get all those starts in the preseason? And in week 1 he came in before the 1st quarter was over...

As far as I'm concerned that's 6 full football games. We really havn't seen much improvement since the first pre season except for the fact that the defense may be trying a lot harder... Or actually NYJ and KC arn't strong teams to begin with... Maybe a 2-0 start for the patriots has a lot more to do with their schedule and not Cassel settling down... And don't bring up anything about Cassel's QB rating in week 2... all of his passes were lateral or to the flats or easy little slants.

How many plays did Cassel have Moss for those first 4 full games as you call them? How many reps is practice has Cassel had with the first team before this week?

My take, and I've seen every second of every game Cassel has played in, pre-season and regular. Throw pre-season out the window. The Patriots don't run the same offense in the pre-season as the regular. I was the first one shouting that Cassell should have been cut at the end of pre-season for Gutierrez. But the team knows what they're looking for. They ran the most boring, vanilla O in pre, something much more so than even the dumbed down O they're running now. As for 'the look' from Moss? I don't see it. Not toward Cassel at least. I think Moss knows Cassel could be doing more, or at least he thinks he could. I think the look you may be seeing is toward the play calling, and the dumbed down O. Again, think 2001 Pats. When Brady came in for Bledsoe, he was asked to make safe throws. Get first downs. Move the chains, and field goals were ok. Touchdowns were still prefered, but they were settling then, rather than making a risky throw on 3rd and long. You're going to see that again this year for a while. They were still in shotgun this past wee, 4 and 5 wides, etc. But your going to see more draws to Faulk out of it, you're going to see even more screens than in the past, things like that. Until he slowly starts earning the trust of the coaches, this O is going to appear to be 'open' (due to formations mostly) but in reality it's on the conservative side. I'd like to think this past week was an aboration as far as Randy goes. Maybe the Jets were rolling the S to his side, etc. I know I did see a few straight up doubles off the line. The Patriots will always be a team that takes and takes until a D stops them. Some weeks that will be Randy, some it will be Welker, some weeks it will be the running game. All in all, I'd say Randy will finish with 75-80 catches, 1250-1300 and 10. He'll still be a red zone target, and they will find ways to take shots deep. I also think Welker may be a monster in PPR this year, finishing well over 100+ cathces again.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

and

Moss barely played in the preseason....!! And, for that matter, Cassel didn't play a ton either as they were using Guitterez and O'Connell....

. When Brady came in for Bledsoe, he was asked to make safe throws. Get first downs. Move the chains, and field goals were ok. Touchdowns were still prefered, but they were settling then, rather than making a risky throw on 3rd and long. You're going to see that again this year for a while.

Moss was doubled all day. What inexperienced (somewhat) QB is gonna throw into double coverage when single was available? Moss will be fine in the game or so.

+1 on both counts.

Belichick is no dummy. he is protecting his QB, and probably creating the false impression that the NE offense will be dink-n-dunk from here on out. I am sure he is hoping that opposing team's gameplans will now be to stuff the run, and take away the underneath passes. If you were a DC, and were analyzing the tape of the 1st two weeks, I am sure you would plan to limit the short passes, play bump coverage, and crowd the line of scrimmage. And I am sure the NE coaching staff knows this, too.

I might be wrong, but I think NE goes the other way very soon, and let's Cassel air it out. Whether he has sucess of not reamains to be seen, since we really don't know what kind of deep-arm the kid has. But I think we find out sooner than later.

Sorry Flip_side but that question was posted in a different forum for a reason. I am looking for what people think about cassel and moss clicking in the weeks to come.

How did your team do that week when you benched Marion Barber?

Still got 2nd highest score in my 32 team league, and still would have got 2nd whether I started Barber or not. :wacko:

Edited by Flip_Side

How many plays did Cassel have Moss for those first 4 full games as you call them? How many reps is practice has Cassel had with the first team before this week?

well, when Brady basically didn't practice for a bunch of the preseason, Cassel assumedly had a lot of first team reps.