[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The handcuff..........

Hugh 0ne

Who?

What?

Where?

When?

Why?

So, here we are, a whopping 2 weeks into the season, and the #1 and #2 overall picks are already banged up. A top 10 pic is out for the season. So, are you insured? Did you grab Sproles or Taylor? If you did, you're in good shape, if you didn't, you're in deep doo-doo.

I generally only handcuff my #1 pick. I only handcuff QB's and RB's. Handcuffing a WR makes no sense. If TO goes down, Sam Hurd isn't going to step into his shoes and get the same looks and opportunities. One of the problems with handcuffing a RB is that teams tend to go to some variation of a RBBC when their #1 RB goes down because many backups can't carry the load. All of these are factors to consider when drafting or not drafting a handcuff, as well as when to make that pick.

For example, Chester Taylor is a phenomenal handcuff. If you own Adrian Peterson and did not draft Taylor you made a HUGH mistake. Why is he a great handcuff? Several reasons: The Vikes have a great O-line. Tayor is a proven RB that has shown he can handle the load. Taylor will not be in a RBBC. So, if you own Peterson, when do you grab Taylor? 2 rounds before you think he's going to off the board sounds about right. You can't afford to have him, some sneaky owner might try to nab him just before you do, so don't take that chance and take him early enough, you won't regret it.

Did you handcuff Brady? That's a little bit of a tougher call, because unless you're in a really deep league, Brady's backup probably won't get drafted. So, now, depending on you're waiver wire process, you may be in trouble. So, maybe you should have grabbed Cassel in the 17th round instead of taking your backup keeeker or taking a flyer on Ryan Torrain.

So, here are the guys that I would consider handcuffing: LT, Peterson, Addai, Westbrook, Barber, Lynch, Brady, SJax, Gore, and Portis. Where you draft their handcuffs depends on the individual situation, but not drafting them exposes you to a hugh risk.

Just some thoughts because I was bored this morning, and patting myself on the back for drafting Chester Taylor in both leagues I have Adrian Peterson. :wacko:

Who?

What?

Where?

When?

Why?

So, here we are, a whopping 2 weeks into the season, and the #1 and #2 overall picks are already banged up. A top 10 pic is out for the season. So, are you insured? Did you grab Sproles or Taylor? If you did, you're in good shape, if you didn't, you're in deep doo-doo.

I generally only handcuff my #1 pick. I only handcuff QB's and RB's. Handcuffing a WR makes no sense. If TO goes down, Sam Hurd isn't going to step into his shoes and get the same looks and opportunities. One of the problems with handcuffing a RB is that teams tend to go to some variation of a RBBC when their #1 RB goes down because many backups can't carry the load. All of these are factors to consider when drafting or not drafting a handcuff, as well as when to make that pick.

For example, Chester Taylor is a phenomenal handcuff. If you own Adrian Peterson and did not draft Taylor you made a HUGH mistake. Why is he a great handcuff? Several reasons: The Vikes have a great O-line. Tayor is a proven RB that has shown he can handle the load. Taylor will not be in a RBBC. So, if you own Peterson, when do you grab Taylor? 2 rounds before you think he's going to off the board sounds about right. You can't afford to have him, some sneaky owner might try to nab him just before you do, so don't take that chance and take him early enough, you won't regret it.

Did you handcuff Brady? That's a little bit of a tougher call, because unless you're in a really deep league, Brady's backup probably won't get drafted. So, now, depending on you're waiver wire process, you may be in trouble. So, maybe you should have grabbed Cassel in the 17th round instead of taking your backup keeeker or taking a flyer on Ryan Torrain.

So, here are the guys that I would consider handcuffing: LT, Peterson, Addai, Westbrook, Barber, Lynch, Brady, SJax, Gore, and Portis. Where you draft their handcuffs depends on the individual situation, but not drafting them exposes you to a hugh risk.

Just some thoughts because I was bored this morning, and patting myself on the back for drafting Chester Taylor in both leagues I have Adrian Peterson. :wacko:

In one of my eagues, the AP owner isnt even interested in CTaylor. I think thats pretty funny. :D

I got Taylor on draft night and Sproles off the WW at last nights meeting. Also got Michael Bush off the WW last night. Dropped Ricky Williams and Ocho Cinco. Didn"t do it but theoretically could have started Sproles, Taylor and Bush this week. Strange year so far.

All good points. Who is the most legimate cuff for the San Diego backfield?

Sproles?

Hester?

Tolbert?

Maybe some Chargers homers have some insider info, but if last week was indication, Sproles got all the touches. Tolbert is the starting FB, and Hester is behind Sproles in the depth chart. YTD, Tolbert has 3 rushes for 6 yards, Hester has no rushes, and Sproles has the 7 carries for 53 yards from last week. So, I think it's safe to say that Tolbert will get the goalline/short yardage touches, and Sproles will get the majority of the other touches.

I note that you list SJax as a player worth handcuffing . . . I disagree. If SJax goes down, there is nobody else in that STL backfield that I think would even be worth owning, let alone playing. Sure - Leonard and Pittman would each get some touches, but what would they really be worth in that O? As a SJax owner, I'm not wasting any roster space on those guys - I'd rather fill my bench with other "handcuffs" who have more upside (e.g., Sammy Morris, Pierre Thomas, etc.)

I drafted from the 12 spot and took Portis and Lynch with my first 2 picks and yes, I did handcuff both those players. I did it not only because they are top RB but really more so because both of their backups are proven players that have both stepped up in the past when given opportunities.

I agree with this post about handcuffing top RB (especially when you know the backups are worthy starters). I also agree with not handcuffing WR's . However, I think you are wrong about handcuffing QB's. Personally, I view those situation much more along the lines of the way I view WR's handcuffs not RB's. I guess we'll know in a few more weeks based on how Cassel does but if I was a Brday owner, I would rather have a QB on a different team, someone that I could have drafted nice and late rather than have Cassel.

Edited by Tally

However, I think you are wrong about handcuffing QB's. Personally, I view those situation much more along the lines of the way I view WR's handcuffs not RB's. I guess we'll know in a few more weeks based on how Cassel does but if I was a Brday owner, I would rather have a QB on a different team, someone that I could have drafted nice and late rather than have Cassel.

Peyton Manning throws to Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, Brady to Moss, Romo to Witten and Owens. If Romo or Manning go down, the backup QB is going to have the opportunity to succeed and I think it warrants a handcuff. The handcuff will be available MUCH later compared to a Chester Taylor, but why not grab him in the late round, the risk is worth the possible reward imo.

Peyton Manning throws to Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, Brady to Moss, Romo to Witten and Owens. If Romo or Manning go down, the backup QB is going to have the opportunity to succeed and I think it warrants a handcuff. The handcuff will be available MUCH later compared to a Chester Taylor, but why not grab him in the late round, the risk is worth the possible reward imo.

What about Cassel? Your using Romo and Manning as examples but the Cassel experiment is right here right now. He's backing up the #1 QB in football last year and has the #1WR in football on his team. So I think that's a more appropriate example to discuss.

Would you rather have Cassel over, let's say Warner or Rogers? Both of these guys went very late in pretty much every draft (if at all in Warners case). Personally, I wouldn't want Cassel over either of those players. Therefore, if I drafted a top notch QB like Brady, Manning or Romo, then I would draft a starting QB on another team and not my #1's backup.

Edit to add: What about bye weeks? You draft the backup to your #1 and then your forced to draft a 3rd QB to cover your bye. I think it's fair to say that most owners would rather not use 3 roster spots on QB's (when they can be using that spot to take a flyer on a sleeper RB/WR) and if you don't draft 3 Qb's then your forced to drop someone to cover a bye week. Either way your forced into do something that most people really prefer not doing.

Edited by Tally

What about Cassel? Your using Romo and Manning as examples but the Cassel experiment is right here right now. He's backing up the #1 QB in football last year and has the #1WR in football on his team. So I think that's a more appropriate example to discuss.

Would you rather have Cassel over, let's say Warner or Rogers? Both of these guys went very late in pretty much every draft (if at all in Warners case). Personally, I wouldn't want Cassel over either of those players. Therefore, if I drafted a top notch QB like Brady, Manning or Romo, then I would draft a starting QB on another team and not my #1's backup.

Edit to add: What about bye weeks? You draft the backup to your #1 and then your forced to draft a 3rd QB to cover your bye. I think it's fair to say that most owners would rather not use 3 roster spots on QB's (when they can be using that spot to take a flyer on a sleeper RB/WR) and if you don't draft 3 Qb's then your forced to drop someone to cover a bye week. Either way your forced into do something that most people really prefer not doing.

I said Brady to Moss in my post. :wacko:

I think Cassell has a ton of upside. I would draft mystarting QB (Brady) a backup in a later round (Rogers, Favre), and then handcuff my #1 overall pick very late in the draft (Cassell) instead of taking a deep flyer (Audre Allison). Drafting 3 QB's, if one is an upside Handcuff and the last round pick, is not a bad thing.

Who?

What?

Where?

When?

Why?

I generally only handcuff my #1 pick. I only handcuff QB's and RB's.

Did you handcuff Brady? That's a little bit of a tougher call

I usually only 'cuff my #1, too, and that is always a RB.

I dont believe in taking a QB early (certainly not in the first round) but for those that do, I'd suggest they are best off not taking their QB's backup cause they need to fill pretty much all the remaining spots they have with either backs or WRs in hopes they find the diamond in the rough. In fact, I'd go so far to say if you're the type that likes to take a Brady or Manning with your first pick, you should consider not even taking another QB. There is only one week (BYE) that you're ever going to play anyone else in front of TB or PM and on that week there will be someone on waivers that you can pick up and start. Obviously, this advice doesnt look good this year with the Brady injury. But, generally, if you're taking him or Manning, you're banking heavily that they dont/wont get hurt which has been the case up until this year...

I made Marshawn Lynch my #1 pick in both leagues I play in. In one league, I have Fred Jackson. In the other, Jackson is still available and I will either pick him up when it I see its time to cut bait with one of my other players or I know I can get him if need be(ie Lynch goes down) as we use a bidding system and I have as much or more money than anyone else in the league to use to get him if needed.

I said Brady to Moss in my post. :wacko:

I think Cassell has a ton of upside. I would draft mystarting QB (Brady) a backup in a later round (Rogers, Favre), and then handcuff my #1 overall pick very late in the draft (Cassell) instead of taking a deep flyer (Audre Allison). Drafting 3 QB's, if one is an upside Handcuff and the last round pick, is not a bad thing.

My bad, you did say Brady.

Anyway, I guess only time will tell. We should bring this post back up in another 5-6 weeks when we have a decent sample size for Cassel. and see how he compares to some of the other options mentioned ( Warner, Rogers & Favre) However, even if does exploded I still feel that handcuffing a QB's is a poor idea. Personally, I'd rather my #2 QB be a starter and not a backup and I definitely wouldn't want to waste 3 rosters spots on QB's if I had already spent an early draft pick to get a stud at that position....to each his own I guess, just not my style.

I have AP in 5 leagues this year... Not because I'm a MN fan, necessarily, but because I ended up with the #2 pick in three leagues, took him first overall in a new keeper league, and the fifth was a keeper from last year. Got Taylor in all but one, which was the first draft of the new keeper league. I had the #1 overall pick, and the guy right before me took Taylor in the 6th round (before pick 6.12). I would have had to take Taylor at 5.1 to get him, which I just can't justify in a keeper league in which the number of keepers is basically unlimited. I ended up with AP, Graham, Chris Johnson, Hightower, Torain/Young, so I have a lot of depth at RB. If I would have taken Taylor with the 5.1 pick, I would have been "chasing" at a lot of other positions for the rest of the draft.

All of the other leagues, I grabbed Taylor when it felt right... early enough that I wasn't wasting a pick, but late enough that I knew he wouldn't last much longer.... usually, rounds 6-8.

Other than AP, the only guys I really handcuffed this year were Addai (Rhodes) and J. Jones (Morris), if you even want to call that handcuffing. Most of my leagues, rather than handcuffing someone like Portis or SJax, I used those picks to grab potential RB's who I felt had a good shot at playing this year, whether anyone gets hurt or not... Hightower, Johnson, Rice, Washington, Morris, Dunn, etc.

But I agree, for the most part... handcuffing someone like LT or AP is a must. There just gets to be a point where too early is too early, and I'm not going to handicap my entire roster to grab somebody's backup in the 5th round.

I have AP in 2 leagues (1 draft and 1 auction) and auctioned Chester to back him up and just pulled off a trade to get Chester in my draft league. In my draft AP was my 4th round keeper and the earliest I would have had a chance to get Chester was the 8th round (went Moss, Wayne, Boldin, AP (keeper), T Jones, Graham, McNabb and he was taken right before me.

My bad, you did say Brady.

Anyway, I guess only time will tell. We should bring this post back up in another 5-6 weeks when we have a decent sample size for Cassel. and see how he compares to some of the other options mentioned ( Warner, Rogers & Favre) However, even if does exploded I still feel that handcuffing a QB's is a poor idea. Personally, I'd rather my #2 QB be a starter and not a backup and I definitely wouldn't want to waste 3 rosters spots on QB's if I had already spent an early draft pick to get a stud at that position....to each his own I guess, just not my style.

Here's something for you: in a 12 team, 17 round draft, take the guys drafted in the 17th round and tell me at the end of the season how many of them outscore Cassel. If you end up with 1 I'd be very surprised.

I almost never handcuff. I hate the thought that you basically have one player taking 2 roster spots. I almost always prefer to draft another player with upside versus a handcuff.

Having said that ... if I had drafted AP with his injury history and with Chester's proven ability to run behind that line I wouild have tried to handcuff AP with Taylor. The trick is to figure out how late you can wait for this handcuff. It is likely that I would wait too long and miss out.

There really was no other situation out there that screamed for a hand cuff IMO.

I almost never handcuff. I hate the thought that you basically have one player taking 2 roster spots. I almost always prefer to draft another player with upside versus a handcuff.

Having said that ... if I had drafted AP with his injury history and with Chester's proven ability to run behind that line I wouild have tried to handcuff AP with Taylor. The trick is to figure out how late you can wait for this handcuff. It is likely that I would wait too long and miss out.

There really was no other situation out there that screamed for a hand cuff IMO.

+1

What about a player like Felix Jones or Sproles or even Norwood, Special teams,PPR, Guys that actually touch the ball(10 or more times)? 12 man league pretty tough on RB position? What if any, is the value of those guys?