[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scheme matters

eagles2010

I learned alot about the LB's position's and its relation to fantasy scoring, but I have questions about Strong and Free safeties and the relation from different schemes, 3-4, 4-3 , Tampa -2 and which position is more productive. As I understand it, and I am a novice but have been trying to read between the lines through the IDP breakdowns and such on the Huddle that Strong safeties are run support players more than Free safeties. Some questions that I have are:

1. Do Free safeties have more value verse a pass heavy team ( Broncos, Saints, so far ) verse heavy run teams like ( Raiders, Vikings )

2. Are Free Safeties willing to cheat up as soon as a strong run formation or likely running play is suspected, or do they have an assignment to protect the play action , therefore covering a TE or slot regardless of initial formations and action behind the line of scrimmage?

3. Free safeties are asked to roll to "Stud" WR's for the double team more than Strong safeties. Is that the right philosophy?

4. I am thinking that the free safeties dont have a set assignment, say a TE pre-snap, but more of a read and react assignment? An extension of this question would be how often are free safeties asked to play man to man defense verse playing a zone? ( I bet this isnt exactly an easy answer since down and distance and formations play a big part. )

5. Which defensive scheme is historically more productive for Strong safeties verse Free safeties?

Now a couple questions about Strong safeties .

1. Strong safeties are the better play verse a run heavy team most of the time. Is that true?

2. Are Strong safeties able to " free lance " as a play devolopes, or do they have a set assignment pre-snap. Which scheme allows the Strong safety more freedom to make decisions on the fly?

3. I imagine most teams switch from man to zone multiple times though a game depending on down and distance, but to what extent are Strong safeties asked to play a zone or coverage assignment. ( Sceme matters. A Tampa 2 Strong safety is usually supporting the run, correct? )

I could probably keep asking question after question, but I suspect if Keggerz or Darin is up to the task of such an in-depth question that they will answer other questions as they explain their thoughts. I understand how broad the philosophy can be and think that there are alot of variables relating to safeties in each scheme. I am hoping to get a little education on when to play a Strong versus a Free safety if ever and I think as IDP gains popularity that this question could be helpful to alot of players that hit these boards in a search of wisdom. I appreciate any input you guys have.

THANKS!!

I learned alot about the LB's position's and its relation to fantasy scoring, but I have questions about Strong and Free safeties and the relation from different schemes, 3-4, 4-3 , Tampa -2 and which position is more productive. As I understand it, and I am a novice but have been trying to read between the lines through the IDP breakdowns and such on the Huddle that Strong safeties are run support players more than Free safeties. Some questions that I have are:

1. Do Free safeties have more value verse a pass heavy team ( Broncos, Saints, so far ) verse heavy run teams like ( Raiders, Vikings )

2. Are Free Safeties willing to cheat up as soon as a strong run formation or likely running play is suspected, or do they have an assignment to protect the play action , therefore covering a TE or slot regardless of initial formations and action behind the line of scrimmage?

3. Free safeties are asked to roll to "Stud" WR's for the double team more than Strong safeties. Is that the right philosophy?

4. I am thinking that the free safeties dont have a set assignment, say a TE pre-snap, but more of a read and react assignment? An extension of this question would be how often are free safeties asked to play man to man defense verse playing a zone? ( I bet this isnt exactly an easy answer since down and distance and formations play a big part. )

5. Which defensive scheme is historically more productive for Strong safeties verse Free safeties?

Now a couple questions about Strong safeties .

1. Strong safeties are the better play verse a run heavy team most of the time. Is that true?

2. Are Strong safeties able to " free lance " as a play devolopes, or do they have a set assignment pre-snap. Which scheme allows the Strong safety more freedom to make decisions on the fly?

3. I imagine most teams switch from man to zone multiple times though a game depending on down and distance, but to what extent are Strong safeties asked to play a zone or coverage assignment. ( Sceme matters. A Tampa 2 Strong safety is usually supporting the run, correct? )

I could probably keep asking question after question, but I suspect if Keggerz or Darin is up to the task of such an in-depth question that they will answer other questions as they explain their thoughts. I understand how broad the philosophy can be and think that there are alot of variables relating to safeties in each scheme. I am hoping to get a little education on when to play a Strong versus a Free safety if ever and I think as IDP gains popularity that this question could be helpful to alot of players that hit these boards in a search of wisdom. I appreciate any input you guys have.

THANKS!!

The author of that article did a massive amount of research and should be commended for it! To the best of my knowledge:

1. Yeah, the free safety in the typical defensive scheme is typically the safety that scores better against "passing teams"

2. I hate to cop out of this question, but I think it really depends on the team/player/situation.

3. In short, yes.

4. Yeah, tough question to answer. But that's why they're called the "free" safety. Free to roam, baby.

5. Didn't the Scheme Matters article cover that? Or did he just do that breakdown with LBs? I think you can find a good number of FS and SS values in every scheme. I don't think it's as cut-and-dried as analyzing the LB spots in each scheme. But I could be wrong there.

---

1. In my experiences, true. Oakland's Gibril Wilson is a prime example. In preseason, he was up in the box more than not. His tackle totals could/should rise this season.

2. See #5 above.

3. Like you said, I think it really depends on the situation.

---

Sorry that my answers aren't quite exactly in-depth but Keg is the scheme expert. Hopefully he'll be able to chime in here and expand.

Thanks Darin. season number 1 in an IDP dynasty with scoring designed to make play makers substantial, like Merriman, Ware etc. So sacks are 4.5, INT's 4.5, tackles and deflections are a point a piece . I personally took an approach that sided with consistency rather than big play guys as I wanted to earn points every week . I really need to be able to evaluate which safety to start in a given week and this post is allready helping to do that. I dont have the experience to know what I know now that I have read some answers. I have a feeling a good play would be a Saints safety this week . The dude with the crazy name Keashervin ( not spell checked ) was a guy I was scouting along with Marvin White as the Bengals may be victim of some long sustained drives from the Giants this week and maybe that erratic ELI INT that pops up every know and then. Free agents at the moment. Our league is very happy with the IDP league as we also roll in a redraft as well. Most of us spend more time in the Dynasty and enjoy playing both sides of the ball. The more wisdom I have the better. Been a football fan forever so I had some knowledge and scouting the IDP's for the dynasty has helped. These boards also played a part in my evaluation of players and feel good where my team is at on both sides of the ball. I would really like to see more people hit the IDP forums or even better start an IDP league. They wouldn't regret it!!!