[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Westbrook Dinged

i_am_the_swammi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a game to be won and if you don't want things to happen that benefit you, then why bother playing?

Pretty poor, Runt.

In any game, you don't wish your opponent gets hurt for your benefit. I can't recall one time, ever, in any sport, where a team cheered and whopped it up when an opponent was injured.

Its called class.

Pretty poor, Runt.

In any game, you don't wish your opponent gets hurt for your benefit. I can't recall one time, ever, in any sport, where a team cheered and whopped it up when an opponent was injured.

Its called class.

Alright already!!!....we get it!! Your point was made! Now move on! I'm trying to read updates on a post about Westbrook getting dinged and I'm having to scroll through a pissing match that nobody gives a sh!T about and no minds are gonna be changed. You know better than that Swammi. Nobody ever finally gives in and says "you're right, I don't know what I was thinking"....

So, what quarter did he go down? I didn't have that game and was out doing yard work....

Edited by millerx

well, there was that time when the Eagles fans cheered when The Playmaker laid on the turf.

The exception that proves the rule. They freakin' booed Santa.

Alright already!!!....we get it!! Your point was made! Now move on! I'm trying to read updates on a post about Westbrook getting dinged and I'm having to scroll through a pissing match that nobody gives a sh!T about and no minds are gonna be changed. You know better than that Swammi. Nobody ever finally gives in and says "you're right, I don't know what I was thinking"....

So, what quarter did he go down? I didn't have that game and was out doing yard work....

Miller,

Swammi is making a point about reveling in injuries. I applaud that. Benefit by it, SILENTLY!

Don't read this post if we are causing you to get distracted. Dam, that is lame!

Miller,

Swammi is making a point about reveling in injuries. I applaud that. Benefit by it, SILENTLY!

Don't read this post if we are causing you to get distracted. Dam, that is lame!

Man, I had absolutely the opposite reaction - I thought miller's post mighta' been the best one in this entire thread and I agree with his sentiment completely - while I agree with swammi's position here, the reality is that this subject has been hashed through before, there are no new points to be made, and neither side is gonna' come in all of a sudden and say Hey, you know what, you're right and I was wrong.

And in the meantime, all sorts of fantasy-relevant info is being ignored - how did Buckhalter look? How many carries did he (10) and Booker (5) get, and did it provide any insight as to how they might be used going forward if Westbrook is hurt? And so on.

Miller,

You're right! this is lame. And you know better as well. I'm reading the post BECAUSE it is about Westbrook being dinged. It's fine to state a point of view different than the one before, it's a whole other thing to hijack a thread because of it. Start a new post about "praying for injuries" if you must...just don't backup the thread with posts most people don't give a crap about and are not related to the topic. That said, I'm in jeopardy of doing it myself. So leave this thread as was originally intended once you postrd your point...that's all I'm saying...

You might want to read about that "Santa" before commenting.

PHILADELPHIA -- Those famously churlish Philly fans can't hide behind the urban legends. The truth is out there: They simply booed Santa Claus.

Frank Olivo -- the erstwhile Santa in question -- wasn't drunk, nor was his red suit in tatters that December day in 1968 when he walked onto the field for the halftime show, only to be met by a chorus of jeers and a snowball fusillade from Eagles fans.

But by all accounts, they had cause for an ugly mood.

"The fans carried on like that because the Eagles were horrible," Olivo said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=1980880

PHILADELPHIA -- Those famously churlish Philly fans can't hide behind the urban legends. The truth is out there: They simply booed Santa Claus.

Frank Olivo -- the erstwhile Santa in question -- wasn't drunk, nor was his red suit in tatters that December day in 1968 when he walked onto the field for the halftime show, only to be met by a chorus of jeers and a snowball fusillade from Eagles fans.

But by all accounts, they had cause for an ugly mood.

"The fans carried on like that because the Eagles were horrible," Olivo said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=1980880

Santa snowball incident shrouded in myth

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

PHILADELPHIA — No surprise Philadelphia fans were rough on the Eagles at 0-2. After all, they once threw snowballs at ....

Hold it. In a new book titled The Great Philadelphia Fan Book, co-authors Glen Macnow and Anthony L. Gargano contend Philly fans get a bum rap in frequent mentions about that 1968 day when they hurled snowballs at Santa Claus. Not that they didn't do it.

"No event has been used to tar-and-feather Philadelphia fans as much. And no event has been as exaggerated, misconstrued and inaccurately recalled," they write.

Macnow, a talk show host along with Gargano on WIP radio in Philadelphia, says it's all about the circumstances.

"Everybody just thinks that people pelted Santa with snow balls for no reason other than we're mean people," he says.

A crowd of 54,535 showed in a snowstorm that Dec. 15 day at Franklin Field to watch the last-place Eagles finished off a 2-12 season with a loss to Minnesota.

The book says that team owner Jerry Wolman had "dismantled a strong, proud franchise" and hired Joe Kuharich as coach and general manager. Kuharich, who inspired the "Joe Must Go" slogan, traded Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen to Washington for Norm Snead.

At halftime, there was supposed to be a Christmas pageant. Then there was too much snow and muck for a float to parade around the field. Instead, according to the book, a 19-year-old fan wearing a Santa suit and fake beard in the stands was recruited to jog onto the field between two columns of cheerleaders.

The authors don't deny boos were heard and that snowballs were tossed. Are they saying Santa had it coming?

"Santa had it coming for a different reason actually," says Macnow. "Santa was a surrogate that day for Joe Kuharich and Jerry Wolman and Norm Snead. The poor kid just happened to be representing the frustrations."

The authors tracked down the Santa, Frank Olivo, who now lives in Ocean City, N.J. In the book, Olivo says he has no hard feelings. "I'm a Philadelphia fan, I knew what was what. I thought it was funny," he is quoted as saying.

But Olivo recalls that when he was asked if he might want to play Santa again the next season, he balked. "No way. If it doesn't snow, they'll probably throw beer bottles."

Sooooo your article still says they booed Santa and pelted him with snowballs basically because they were frustrated with the team. They also didn't boo McNabb when the poor kid was drafted, throw batteries at JD Drew, or cheer when Michael Irvin lay injured on the turf either right? I thought you guys were proud of this stuff?

Sooooo your article still says they booed Santa and pelted him with snowballs basically because they were frustrated with the team. They also didn't boo McNabb when the poor kid was drafted, throw batteries at JD Drew, or cheer when Michael Irvin lay injured on the turf either right? I thought you guys were proud of this stuff?

apparently you didn't read the whole thing...

I go straight to page 3, figuring that's where the latest updates in westbrook's injury might reside. and all I can find is an argument about whether santa was drunk. GB the huddle :wacko:

Scroll up a bit more and you'll have the "cheering for an injury" debate part 56, then another guy and his long winded complaints about wanting to read updates instead of debates and drivel, meanwhile adding his own...

What did you expect?