[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Millen finally fired!

Dr. Rock

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit fans, your wish appears to have finally come true.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Lions have finally removed team president and GM Matt Millen from his post, unseating one of the most criticized executives in Detroit sports history.

Millen was informed of the move last night during a late-night high-level meeting. This morning several people within the building confirmed that he had large packing boxes in his office and he made his way around to different employees telling them of the move.

It is unclear if Millen was fired or removed himself from the equation but the news comes just days after Bill Ford, Jr. publicly stated he would have fired the GM if it was his decision but he lacked the authority to do so.

The Lions have started off horribly and the groundswell for Millen's demise has once again been strong. Unfortunately, that's nothing new as there have been events like the Millen Man March, an in-game walkout protest and calls for Millen's firing for years.

The Lions have won only one playoff game and are an NFL-worst 31-84 since Millen took over in 2001. They have also been a model of futility on the road and Millen has gone through three head coaches, none of whom have been able to turn the Lions into a winner.

Beat me to it . . . I'm shocked. I guess Lewand and Mayhew will handle the business, while Marinellli runs the football? Until the end of the season? Who knows?

I assumed they'd broom the lot of them at the end of the year, then hire a new GM and let him hire a new coach, but . . . I guess not.

Peace

policy

Beat me to it . . . I'm shocked. I guess Lewand and Mayhew will handle the business, while Marinellli runs the football? Until the end of the season? Who knows?

I assumed they'd broom the lot of them at the end of the year, then hire a new GM and let him hire a new coach, but . . . I guess not.

Peace

policy

It is never a bad time to fire an employee who needs to go.

I guess it doesn't really matter, but not getting the timing, ie what does he really do during the season anyway...so why not just wait till they've wrapped up a top 3 pick in Dec and then start the house-cleaning?

Because Millen was associated with a culture of losing and the sooner you ditch that the better? Besides, how could they be any worse off? You have a known entity of a horrible GM and you have some assistant who may be better and likely can't be any worse.

Also, considering how few trades of any significance go on during the NFL regular season, this would seem like downtime for a GM. Better now than after the season when the GM's job really kicks in (pre draft, etc)

:wacko: Bout damn time. I'm not sure how this affects anyone, but I'm sure it's going to have to put the players,coach's on notice. Now if we had only done it in time to land Parcell's. Maybe Holmgrem? SR needs to ler Jr run the team and see what we get.