[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santonio Holmes

dirtdickens

i think owners should be more worried about hines ward rather than holmes' production problems over his first 3 games. everyone kind of wrote ward off in the offseason but for yet another season, he is still appears to be the steelers #1 wr. i am pleasantly surprised myself that ward has looked this good. he even had a 75 yard catch called back on a bad offensive INT call in week 1 and ward isnt supposed to be the deep threat. 32 year old receivers who play that physical are not supposed to be this good at this point in their careers.

As many predicted would be the new paradigm, did you go WR-WR-WR... Marshall in the 1st, Jennings in the 2nd, and Ward in the 3rd?

If you did sir, where do you find pants big enough for your cojones?

No, it was a keeper league. I kept Jennings, took Marshall in the 1st, and Ward in the 4th.

Didn't Holmes kinda start out last season this way too?

I remember picking him up last year after someone became trigger happy and dropped him. I gladly picked him up and he was very consistent in the 2nd half of the year.

I drafted him as my #2 WR this year after Fitzgerald.

I HAVE to be patient. :wacko:

Edited by Largent80

last year he started out

8-157-1 in the first three

And this year he's 10-145-0

What scares me ( I drafted him as my #2, hoping for #1 production) is that his production from year 1 to year 2 barely increased save TDs - his catches increased by only 3 for an extra 100 yards or so. This year he is on a similar pace as 2007 but you would expect and hope for a steady, noticeable increase in production each year. It's looking like Ward is still the man and Holmes may be in for a similar season to last year or even worse, his rookie year with minimal TDs. Of course, I certainly hope that is not the case but if Ben keeps getting hit, it could be a long year for the Steeler passing game.

What scares me ( I drafted him as my #2, hoping for #1 production) is that his production from year 1 to year 2 barely increased save TDs - his catches increased by only 3 for an extra 100 yards or so. This year he is on a similar pace as 2007 but you would expect and hope for a steady, noticeable increase in production each year. It's looking like Ward is still the man and Holmes may be in for a similar season to last year or even worse, his rookie year with minimal TDs. Of course, I certainly hope that is not the case but if Ben keeps getting hit, it could be a long year for the Steeler passing game.

Keep a few things in mind:

Game 1 - They didn't have to throw because they ran so well, even when the Texans knew it was coming. With their schedule that won't happen often.

Game 2 - They played in ridiculous wind conditions, which made passing extremely difficult for both teams.

Game 3 - Roethlisberger got abused. Yes, the Steelers offensive line is below average, however, I don't see many games being close to this bad. First, the Eagles have defensive speed and well hidden blitz patterns. I think the Steelers will improve their pass blocking.

All of this said, it is anyone's guess, but, I think the Steelers are going to have to throw the ball more, and I think the Eagles game will be the exception, rather than the norm. Ben is going to get sacked, as the O-line isn't good, but, it won't be like the Philly game.

A few other things, kind of related to Holmes but more related to the Steelers overall...

I know PIT has had its share of OL woes in recent years but I think this Eagles game was more of an anomaly than the norm going forward. It was a non-conference road game where PIT looked completely surprised by what Philly was throwing at them. They hadn't played in Philly since 1997 and the last meeting was in 2004. Also, Philly is one of those teams that rarely plays poorly in back-to-back games especially at home.

Steelers/Ravens is another matter though. Both teams are familiar with each other with the home team usually winning. It's Flacco's first road game and the team overall hasn't won on the road since week 5 last year in a 9-7 thriller over the Niners.

Throw in the spotlight of MNF and I don't think Holmes, or the Steeler team for that matter, are in for a serious beatdown.

Yeah he barely increased yards but he did miss 3 games last year, which is why people thought he was going to explode this year, (including myself). So based on that I think he would have had another 200 yards or so and maybe 1-2 tds. I think we just have to wait a little bit to see if this trend continues, I like Holmes but being the big threat guy the O-line needs to give Big Ben time to hit Holmes otherwise Ward is gonna get the shorter patterns and is still the inside the 10 wideout.

There are lots of WRs sputtering this year. If history shows us anything, it's that WRs are inconsistent week to week but get their numbers over the course of a season. Last years big numbers from the WR position was the exception, not the rule. Things were bound to return to normal this year and we are seeing it early. 85, Braylon, Moss, Roy, Holmes, and a few others are all struggling fantasy wise. I would expect things to pick up.

Bottom line: You HAVE to start him every week. Because the week you don't, he'll go for 6-100 and 2 TDs...

Keep a few things in mind:

Game 1 - They didn't have to throw because they ran so well, even when the Texans knew it was coming. With their schedule that won't happen often.

Game 2 - They played in ridiculous wind conditions, which made passing extremely difficult for both teams.

Game 3 - Roethlisberger got abused. Yes, the Steelers offensive line is below average, however, I don't see many games being close to this bad. First, the Eagles have defensive speed and well hidden blitz patterns. I think the Steelers will improve their pass blocking.

All of this said, it is anyone's guess, but, I think the Steelers are going to have to throw the ball more, and I think the Eagles game will be the exception, rather than the norm. Ben is going to get sacked, as the O-line isn't good, but, it won't be like the Philly game.

I get the first 3 weeks BUT, this week they play BAL which could mean more trouble for big Ben. Bottom line, the Oline worries me a lot but I hope they can overcome it. I'm still gonna start Holmes every week including this week - let's hope for the best. I also have Braylon Edwards and Fitz and I start 3 WRs - two of those guys need to steppy the feck up!!

I get the first 3 weeks BUT, this week they play BAL which could mean more trouble for big Ben. Bottom line, the Oline worries me a lot but I hope they can overcome it. I'm still gonna start Holmes every week including this week - let's hope for the best. I also have Braylon Edwards and Fitz and I start 3 WRs - two of those guys need to steppy the feck up!!

having Braylon and Fitz should be a good play this week...

having Braylon and Fitz should be a good play this week...

Braylon maybe, Fitz I'm not so sure. You know how these things work, players will revert to their mean - Fitz has had consecutive games over 100 yards which probably means he will get about 70 yards this week and a touch if I'm lucky. However that same logic says that Braylon and Holmes should explode this week as well as Chris Johnson and Delhomme(at least I hope, man I need a monster week!!).

Alright, as a Holmes owner, here's my take, and maybe a lot of this has been said, but oh well -

1. Holmes is not the problem in Pittsburgh. He's a very fast receiver, the best deep threat on his team, and he caught over 60% of balls thrown his way last season. Ward is still a good receiver, but he's not going to beat many guys in a footrace. I would be far more worried if I were a Braylon Edwards owner - he may be the #1 option, but he's still having problems with catching the ball consistently enough to be a top level NFL WR. Let's not forget that until last year he was nothing but a very talented yet very immature player who hadn't put a full season of solid play together at this level. I'm not sure I trust a guy who has had a lot of character-related red flags to contribute to a team that is, for now, in a tailspin.

2. You didn't take him as a #1 anyways, unless you just neglected WR for a good 4 rounds or so. Personally, I got him as my #2 in the middle of the 5th round. Once again, if we were talking about a guy who was supposed to carry your team, that's one thing, but nobody in their right mind banked on Holmes putting up a season like we saw from Moss last year. If your first four or so picks are solid, Holmes' performance to now may be an annoyance, but not a crippling blow.

3. Last but not least, this is all over a slow start in the first three weeks. Call me around week 8, and maybe if this continues I'll change my mind, but for now, I see no need to abandon ship.

Edited by cbs0121

2. You didn't take him as a #1 anyways, unless you just neglected WR for a good 4 rounds or so. Personally, I got him as my #2 in the middle of the 5th round. Once again, if we were talking about a guy who was supposed to carry your team, that's one thing, but nobody in their right mind banked on Holmes putting up a season like we saw from Moss last year. If your first four or so picks are solid, Holmes' performance to now may be an annoyance, but not a crippling blow.

The thing is a lot of people listened to the take a RB first or first and second at any cost. It isnt neglecting WR, its getting Portis, LJ and Holmes in the first three picks.

That didnt happen to me, I am getting bent because he is my #3 and not even procucing anything close to what a 3 should produce. I came rolling in with Andre and Colston ahead of him and Burleson and Cotch behind him. I look at the predictions each week and it is 20pnts again, he will go 3-47. I know he will go off the week I sit him and the following weeks will b a mind f***.

I broke my own golden rule and drafted someone with a crappy offensive line. I blame myself and I am not here to make excuses, just vent a little.