[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK, I've got to ask

detlef

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but reading this made me think... Are there any sites that allow you to reward a bonus point for any run or catch made on 3rd or 4th down that results in a 1st down? Plays that move the chains are pretty valuable, but I don't know if MFL or anyone supports such a statistic...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I suggest a book I purchased last year. An insightful tome that addresses the issue of Point Per Reception quite plainly. I believe the author visits this forum occasionaly. If I could only remember the title... :wacko:

Edited by The Holy Roller

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but reading this made me think... Are there any sites that allow you to reward a bonus point for any run or catch made on 3rd or 4th down that results in a 1st down? Plays that move the chains are pretty valuable, but I don't know if MFL or anyone supports such a statistic...

MFL does. I just went into the custom scoring section of setup and it does track passing, rushing, and reception 1st downs. That's actually a very cool element and one that I'm going to propose to my league next year.

Detlef does'nt feel that catching passes, or recovering fumbles is point-worthy in fantasy football.

Now, now. Both of us know this isn't true and pretty much everyone knows that you're an idiot. Don't make this any worse for yourself by dredging the fumble argument again.

May I suggest a book I purchased last year. An insightful tome that addresses the issue of Point Per Reception quite plainly. I believe the author visits this forum occasionaly. If I could only remember the title... :wacko:

Is it the one with a chapter titled "The plight of the FF widow"? :D

This may have been said already but I read about 15 posts and realized this discussion was going nowhere so here goes...

It doesn't really matter what the scoring system is as long as everyone knows it going in and has time to prepare to draft. You want to tweak your rules to "balance" the relative value of each player? Go right ahead. Bottom line is all is fair if all owners know the rules going in.

Basketball has a set of rules, as do football, soccer and baseball and all are quite different yet they seem to work just fine because everyone has the same expectations going in.

Know the rules ahead of time and have time to prepare for such rules and it's all good. You don't like the rules of a particular league? Don't play.

This may have been said already but I read about 15 posts and realized this discussion was going nowhere so here goes...

It doesn't really matter what the scoring system is as long as everyone knows it going in and has time to prepare to draft. You want to tweak your rules to "balance" the relative value of each player? Go right ahead. Bottom line is all is fair if all owners know the rules going in.

Basketball has a set of rules, as do football, soccer and baseball and all are quite different yet they seem to work just fine because everyone has the same expectations going in.

Know the rules ahead of time and have time to prepare for such rules and it's all good. You don't like the rules of a particular league? Don't play.

That's funny. See, I thought this was a message board where sometimes people debated the merits of things involving FF. Things like, for instance, scoring systems, or waiver set ups, or any number of other rules that might affect a league. I think it is rather given that reaching a consensus on how each and every one of us is supposed to set our rules was not the intention of this or any other thread that debates rules.

I don't play PPR and don't because I've always thought that giving a guy a point per catch seemed like too much for something that may not have helped his team much. Now I see that others offer partial points per reception and that seems to make sense to me. Thus, by bringing this subject up for debate, I have learned why I might want to include it in my league.

None the less, according your argument, what's the point of debating anything, right? I want to give 10 pts for QBs throwing INTs. You might think that's stupid. If all I come back with is that, "hey, if you don't like it, don't join my league." Well, wasn't that fun. I mean, what exactly is the point of these boards if debate on a subject can be shot down by, "hey, it's my game and I'll do what I want."

Edited by detlef

That's funny. See, I thought this was a message board where sometimes people debated the merits of things involving FF. Things like, for instance, scoring systems, or waiver set ups, or any number of other rules that might affect a league. I think it is rather given that reaching a consensus on how each and every one of us is supposed to set our rules was not the intention of this or any other thread that debates rules.

I don't play PPR and don't because I've always thought that giving a guy a point per catch seemed like too much for something that may not have helped his team much. Now I see that others offer partial points per reception and that seems to make sense to me. Thus, by bringing this subject up for debate, I have learned why I might want to include it in my league.

None the less, according your argument, what's the point of debating anything, right? I want to give 10 pts for QBs throwing INTs. You might think that's stupid. If all I come back with is that, "hey, if you don't like it, don't join my league." Well, wasn't that fun. I mean, what exactly is the point of these boards if debate on a subject can be shot down by, "hey, it's my game and I'll do what I want."

That's funny. See, I thought this was a message board where sometimes people debated the merits of things involving FF. Things like, for instance, scoring systems that have no bearing on whether the game is fun to play as long you know the system going in and have time to prepare. You see, I am debating. You just don't like my perspective. Apparently I unintentionally came off as abrasive or superior because you are clearly either defensive or just a big baby. I made that statement simply because every time(at least half a dozen) I see this "debate" or others like it on these boards it's the same people defending or attacking the same points over and over again. That is not debate. Some of us see "balancing" our scoring systems as a way to make player's contributions more equal, some just like more scoring and some favor offense over defense or vice versa. The fact is it doesn't really matter if ppr is better or even if it makes any sense. As it was pointed out very early in this thread, FF is a game and if the individuals involved like to make their rules a certain way then so be it. If you or anyone else don't/doesn't like it then, like I said, play elsewhere.

You can "debate" all you want the merits of this system or that but the bottom line is will you enjoy playing the game given a certain set of rules? If so, play on if not, move on. It's not oversimplification or overlooking your right to debate. It's just common sense.

Edited by BS Miscreant

That's funny. See, I thought this was a message board where sometimes people debated the merits of things involving FF. Things like, for instance, scoring systems that have no bearing on whether the game is fun to play as long you know the system going in and have time to prepare. You see, I am debating. You just don't like my perspective. Apparently I unintentionally came off as abrasive or superior because you are clearly either defensive or just a big baby. I made that statement simply because every time(at least half a dozen) I see this "debate" or others like it on these boards it's the same people defending or attacking the same points over and over again. That is not debate. Some of us see "balancing" our scoring systems as a way to make player's contributions more equal, some just like more scoring and some favor offense over defense or vice versa. The fact is it doesn't really matter if ppr is better or even if it makes any sense. As it was pointed out very early in this thread, FF is a game and if the individuals involved like to make their rules a certain way then so be it. If you or anyone else don't/doesn't like it then, like I said, play elsewhere.

You can "debate" all you want the merits of this system or that but the bottom line is will you enjoy playing the game given a certain set of rules? If so, play on if not, move on. It's not oversimplification or overlooking your right to debate. It's just common sense.

Sorry about the attack. It's just that I feel that the argument that it's just a game and everyone is free to score however they like is a given and not worth bringing up. Further, you're not the first to make that point, and I suppose I find that argument to be needless.

As I said in my first response to you, others who did not rely on that crutch argument made a fine case of explaining to me why PPR not only makes their league fun, but also rewards players whose contributions to their real team are often under rewarded in FF. So, despite the fact that you feel the discussion was going nowhere, I actually gleaned exactly what I was looking for from it.

It's really no different then how yardage bonuses evolved. Back when I first started playing, it was all about TDs with minor yardage bonuses being given out at high thresholds. People obviously debated the merits of giving out more pts for yardage and eventually more people adopted it. Same with decimal scoring. Of course, all those arguments could have been squashed with, "Hey, it's just a game, so long as you know the rules going in, what's the point of debating?"

Edited by detlef