[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Bryant's Son passes away

Flip_Side

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3607238

TAMPA, Fla. -- The 3-month-old son of Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Matt Bryant died Wednesday morning, coach Jon Gruden said.

Matthew Tryson Bryant apparently died in his sleep, Gruden said. The coach did not have further details. Matthew was born June 16.

"We're shocked and very saddened by this," Gruden said. "It's just a horrible tragedy, and I can't explain it."

Gruden said he was not sure if Bryant will play in Sunday's game against Green Bay. The player's situation would be addressed later in the week, the coach said.

"The entire Buccaneer family is deeply saddened by this tragedy," Buccaneers general manager Bruce Allen said in a statement. "The Bryants have been an inspiration to our entire community through their commitment to their family and their exhaustive efforts working with children and those in need in the Bay area. Our thoughts and prayers are with Matt and Melissa during this difficult time.''

Bryant, a seventh-year pro in his fourth season with Tampa Bay, kicked a winning field goal in overtime against Chicago last Sunday. Two years ago, he made the third-longest field goal in NFL history, a 62-yarder to beat Philadelphia.

Very sad.

This type of thing scared the crap out of me when my boy was born. You can do all the right things to try and prevent SIDS but it still happens. So scary and so devastating. I don't know how these people go on with life. I think I would be ruined.

I think losing a child would be the only situation where I could see a reason for suicide. I just wouldn't be able to go on, man. That's terrible.

I don't think we have any business knowing this. Unless he specifically wanted this made public, which I wouldn't understand.

1) You can't keep deaths hidden.

2) Why the hell would he want to keep it hidden that his child died?

3) I can understand your desire for people to respect his privacy.

1) You can't keep deaths hidden.

2) Why the hell would he want to keep it hidden that his child died?

3) I can understand your desire for people to respect his privacy.

1. I know, but I don't think this is something that needs to be said on ESPN at this point.

2. Not that you would want to, just saying that now is not the right time for it to be reported. Some things should be left untouched, this being one of them.

It's all over ESPN.

Thus the reason for my post.

The death of a child has absolutely got to be the the worst thing imagineable.

I teared up just reading about this as having three sons of my own it just seems unfathomable to lose one of them.

Rest in peace baby Bryant.

+1...well said.

having four kids, my heart is four times the size as it was before I became a father....losing any of them would be devastating.

I actually could not sleep last night. This is devastating news, whether you are a parent or not. If you have a child (mine is 2 years old), this only intensifies the agony. Lord bless that family and Baby Bryant...they will need his strength now, more than ever.

How do you go on after something like this?